free hit
counters
Speed Awareness Courses - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Speed Awareness Courses

• Gold FFM

Be interested to know if anybody has been invited to attend one at any time.

If you have, what were your thoughts - Worthwhile? Waist of time? Did you learn anything? Did you actually change your driving style/habits?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I have been 'invited' and took the option, hasn't really changed my driving but I did learn a few things and wasn't condescending and instructors were friendly.

Kent monthly meet is the first Tuesday of the month at the Nevill Bull, Birling

Good biscuits?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I attended a course last year, total waste of time IMHO, 4 hours of boredom and it cost more than the fine! but it did save me 3 points. I expected to be surrounded by "boy racers", how wrong I was, 25 on course and mostly over 60s, I felt quite young!

The lecturers were unfamiliar with HGV regs. and driving hours and no idea about tachographs.

My mother attended a course a few years back when she was 73, she thought it was great and was given a skid pan training session as part of her "Education"

Courses are provided by private companies and do seem to vary in content from one area to another.

Dont worry,be happy.............

Went on an AA hosted course. More expensive than the fine but avoided 3 points.

Informative, non condescending, did change my driving a bit but have since reverted to type and now have 3 points anyway ( have used up my one chance in 3 years so wasn't given chance for another course following a recent 'lapse')

The irony is got 'done' both times in my humble diesel fiesta rather than when I have taken Sue's TE which I always feel should be driven fast.........

John

I did one instead of taking 3 points. Lots of useful facts learned, like HGVs can only do 40 on a single carriage A road. They are not going slow, just doin the speed limit (well usually). I was shocked at the attitude of many drivers to motorbikes, basically several people believed its a bikers fault if you get knocked off as you should slow down for cars, even when they are within the speed limit. Most folk thought 30 mph was to slow in a town even after the stats on pedestrian survival if you hit one. Some were serial speeders and were on 9 points.

My Mum went on one recently. She was expecting the worse - getting picked on and embarassed by failure to know some archaic highway code fact. Apparently there was absoluteluy none of that. Indeed she thought it interesting stuff and well enough put across that she claims to have changed her driving. Ironic then that she was caught again within a couple of months and now has the points she'd hoped to avoid. For an "old lady" she does drive quite spiritedly, but these pulls were for 36 and 37 in traffic and not noted at the time so it suggests she's just not as observant as she should be if she's going to continue to drive quickly.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

• Gold FFM

Do they ask you any background questions? Had points before? What mileage you do? your occupation?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

You have to show your paper licence with all you endorsements on as well as your photo card. Forget one bit and you can't take the session and get the 3 points. They ask you all how you got caught and whyyou were speeding

I did one, hasn't made me change my driving style, but was interesting to hear how they try to get you to change your driving technique. It was mostly centred around statistics of speed and how to drive mor conservatively.

They stated that most people who do the course are aged over 30, 20 year olds are usually points as they are going way to fast to be entitled to do the course. Also most people nicked where in the 30 and 40 mph speed limits, not motorways. It's easy to see why this happens, they seem to change the speeds of roads every week. a road that you have always known to be 40, suddenly is now a 30, then they stick a mobile camera on it.

In Norwich, for all my early years of driving the basic rule was any road on the outside of the main ring road heading out of the city was usually a 40, some areas used to be even 60. nowadays you can't tell, it's up and down like a yo-yo, 30 and 40 all the time. I got done on a road I thought was a 40, but it's now a 30 and I was unlucky enough to be doing over 30 with a hidden mobile camera van on it that day.

The only thing that did annoy me is that it was all about the motorist and speed. not really anything about the stupid pedestrians and cyclist that you have to encounter everyday. Nothing is ever really said about them learning how to use the roads properly. The number of people who just walk out into the road, have headphones in so can't hear the cars, or are on the phone not paying attention. And my no.1 hate, cyclist who use paths as well as roads how they want, who don't give a damn about red lights and crossings. My wife has been nearly knocked over several times by cyclists who ride in pedestrian areas.

They need to start fining and sending these offenders on courses as well as motorists, but as usual motorists are easy targets.

• 2 months later...

It quotes a spokesman for Admiral saying, "Our claims statistics show that drivers who have committed a speeding offence could be a higher risk than drivers who do not commit speeding offences." Don't they mean a driver that was caught seeing as most, if not all, drivers speed. More tosh being talked about speed.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• Gold FFM

I would also comment that these courses are run by private Companies, not Insurance Companies. The Companies running these courses then inform the authorities who has "attended/completed" these courses and at that stage, and only at that stage, 'points' are not put on record or your licence.

I guess the issue will then comes with 'discloseure' to the Insurance Co. If the Insurance Companies have no way of categorically 'knowing' wether or not an individual has attended, then how can they increase a premium? These Companies presently running the courses can't under Data Protection Act, release info on who has attended other than to the Licencing Authority. So my best guess is, will the Licencing Authority make this info readily available to the Insurance Companies? If yes, premiums go up, if no, how will anybody else ever find out?

I still can't work out how speed kills. Surely it is the sudden stop that kills. They should change the name to "Sudden Stop Awareness Courses".

Just another excuse to charge more. Shop around, swerve Admiral seems to be the lesson here.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Just another excuse to charge more. Shop around, swerve Admiral seems to be the lesson here.

and Elephant who are owned by Admiral

I would also comment that these courses are run by private Companies, not Insurance Companies. The Companies running these courses then inform the authorities who has "attended/completed" these courses and at that stage, and only at that stage, 'points' are not put on record or your licence.

I guess the issue will then comes with 'discloseure' to the Insurance Co. If the Insurance Companies have no way of categorically 'knowing' wether or not an individual has attended, then how can they increase a premium? These Companies presently running the courses can't under Data Protection Act, release info on who has attended other than to the Licencing Authority. So my best guess is, will the Licencing Authority make this info readily available to the Insurance Companies? If yes, premiums go up, if no, how will anybody else ever find out?

Admiral have admitted that they are relying on the insured answering the question on" sac" honestly although they have no way of checking it. However they have been asking the question themselves for the last 3 years on their own site and on confused.com which they own and also on Elephant.So they do have records themselves and some people will have answered the question honestly thinking that going on a course would not just excuse them of points but also not affect their no claims bonus.We shall see

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Be interested to know if anybody has been invited to attend one at any time.

If you have, what were your thoughts - Worthwhile? Waist of time? Did you learn anything? Did you actually change your driving style/habits?

Yes. No. Yes. No and No.

Had a row with the instructor who kept repeating over and over that speed kills and then showed a chart showing that the faster the road (b to a to dual to Motorway) the safer it is. He also showed that there are more fatalities in 30mph zones (pedestrians obviously).

So I pointed this out and he kept repeating that speed kills. So I told him that bad driving kills. Possibly in conjunction with speed but it was in bad driving that is to blame in 99% of cases. I then asked him if it was safe to speed on a totally empty road with no turn offs to which he replied yes. So it's bloody obvious to all and sundry that bad driving kills. So instead of putting us through that rubbish, improve peoples driving skills before letting them loose on a car.

Grrr. Pet hate.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

• Gold FFM

improve peoples driving skills

Couldn't agree more as long as you are talking 'post' Driving Test and at regular/frequent intervals. If 'pre' Test, would love to hear ideas /suggestions on traning that doesn't already happen that your average 17 your old would adhere to and continue to adhere to after passing.

The big one on subject of Motorways (provisional licence holders not allowed to be trained) will have changed by this time next year - Sooo long overdue, it's unreal.

I did the course 3 years ago in Sussex - so won't be telling Admiral :D

I found the day to be interesting and quite enjoyable. In common with other peoples experiences, I was the youngest by a long way despite being mid 30s. Our day was split in to two halves, a morning classroom and an afternoon driving stint.

During the classroom session I asked why there wasn't a younger audience to be told that most younger drivers go too fast to be offered the course.

The session wasn't patronising, was full of facts (many I still recall - including the Sussex Police thresholds for prosecution, awareness course criteria etc), and in the polar opposite to Kimbers experience, we were told speed didn't kill. They were quite clear that poor driving skills, inappropriate use of speed in the wrong circumstances (e.g very high speeds on ice and snow etc), people with inadequate eyesight and so on were primary casual factors. As Kimbers and others has said, speed itself doesn't kill and it was nice that it wasn't force fed to us.

We were also treated to some very graphic video - shock and awe tactics I guess.

After a catered lunch we were off out on the road, in pairs, with an allocated instructor. Instructors comprised ex traffic officers, serving driving examiners and others who pointed out that at the time they weren't paid for the day, they volunteered.

The drive comprised an evaluation drive, a remedial drive and then a concluding drive. The lady I was paired with had a problem with speed and couldn't reign it in without the instructor intervening. Silly.

Regardless of the fact it was a speed awareness course, I suspect a good majority of UK drivers could benefit from the day. The morning element especially revealed a huge knowledge vacuum in most of those present with only one or two of us able to answer very simple questions.

Best of all.. we got to take home a free pen and notebook!

Best of all.. we got to take home a free pen and notebook!

:) Free, I tells, ya, Free! :D

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

With today's technology I don't understand why all cars aren't fitted with GPS interacted speed control. As you pass into a 30 mph zone, the GPS in every car interacts with the cars electronics and sets the maximum speed that the car cannot exceed. As you exit and into a new zone, the GPS and car respond accordingly. It would be so simple and all new cars could be factory fitted with this device.

insurers are proposing to treat these courses as speeding offences and increase premiums

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20328860

Does anyone know if going on a course will up my insurance next year , went past one of those vans doing about 45-46 in a 40 today so might have to go on one :(

• Gold FFM

Depends if you get something through the post Adam. The Speed Awareness courses are only offered to individuals caught 'just' over the limit (46 in a 40 would probably include you) Being caught well over then there would be a £60 and a mandatory 3 points to collect. So, if points,Yes, insurance will go up. If speed awareness course, No. (at this time if not with Admiral)