free hit
counters
Is the Evora a 'Supercar'? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Is the Evora a 'Supercar'?

Kier

This was the question I was asked by my mates 11 year old?

I wasn't really sure, what makes a car a 'supercar', is there an offical classification for this or is it all down to perception (or top trumps cards say so!)?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That's better than the question I hate being asked: "How much did you pay for that?"

Depending on who's asking I either feel like I'm being judged as an idiot or resented for having saved up for years because they think I have wonga coming out my butt.

Anyway, hell yes it's a supercar.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Surely a supercar needs a bespoke engine? Even with sc the output is 'only' 100 bhp/ litre, not exceptional these days. Of course having a well proven Toyota mill is a big plus in many peoples eyes, but I feel it does exclude the Evora from the supercar club

Since there is no real definition the classification as a supercar is totally subjective. And a bespoke engine, IMO, is not necessary to be part of the equation. What is necessary is performance above and beyond top level common machinery.

By the standards of the 70's and 80's I would say yes, It has awesome styling, performance and handling.

But by todays standard with the likes of Paganis and Bugattis out there, the answer is no.

I never think of any Lotus as a Supercar. I prefer the term Exotic, which fits even the original low horsepower Elise and all of the historic cars.

Kyle Kaulback

Since I'm currently on vacation with the Evora in Southern France I would agree with Exotic. We spotted at least 3 Ferrari and a couple of Lamborghini, but no other Evora.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Clarkson called it a supercar when they reviewed it on the show too.

Personally, a supercar needs huge (contemporary) horsepower. The Evora's main strength is its handling, as are the Elise/Exige so I think it's no more a supercar than they are.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I would have to say no to the Evora being a supercar. I think compared to a real super car it's not fast enough/expensive enough or exotic enough to qualify. It's difficult to pigeon hole the Evora although it's closest rival I would say is the Cayman and nobody would claim that to be a supercar. Funnily enough I think its strength is in the lack of sales making it a rare sight and as such there lies the attraction. A supercar would be bought surely for its outrageous performance and/or styling.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Care to elaborate Justin?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

The new Esprit would be a Supercar thought and I think the Sport 350 was a Supercar but not the Sport 300 as the engine is too small. A Supercar us about the whole package not just engine, handling or styling on their own.

Trevor

I'll get around to it at some point.

Definately not IMO. Not got the badge, performance, looks, or history.

I wouldn't query the styling or perhaps the performance BUT.... not got the right badge or history? How much more history do you need and if the Lotus badge isn't enough on an Esprit what is?

For the record I wouldn't class the Evora as a supercar, but then it never set out to be one.

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

I remember lusting after an esprit growing up. It competed with the Ferrari 328. The term supercar was common in the 80s and 90s to describe a certain type of car. I read the term hypercar more now. The evora is definitely not a hypercar but it's more a supercar than a Porsche 911 or and Audi r8. The GTE is definitely a supercar me thinks:-)

• 2 weeks later...

I would say Exotic is more apt than Supercar. The fact is that I have one in Australia and the only other one I've seen on the road is when I was on a drive with the Lotus club. Its rarity and head-turning ability definitely makes it an exotic.

Now that I am living in the UK I was expecting them to be seen in every town and village, but the truth is after several months I've only seen *one*.

So Exotic it is (for me).

• 1 year later...

I seem to remember a review in which it was referred to as a 'junior supercar', and I think that fits quite well.

The Evora is a little too sensible to be classed as a true supercar. It has too many compromises towards daily usability, and the engine is definitely not special enough to make it into that category. Of course, that's a good thing for me as it's a big part of what makes the Evora a great daily driver.

The Esprit was definitely a supercar in it's day.

As to the badge, and history, I'd suggest that the likes of Pagani demonstrate that they're not an essential part of making a supercar!

The term 'exotic' is pretty good, but it literally means 'foreign' so it doesn't make much sense if you're English :)

Is it a car? Check.

Is it super? Check.

Well that's cleared that one up then.

:thumbup: 

• Like 1