free hit
counters
Rear calipers pads fitting.....(I'm feel stupid) - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
giorgio67

Rear calipers pads fitting.....(I'm feel stupid)

Hi guys,

I know it's an old question but can anyone explain to me how can I fit the rear f....d.pads on the calliper?

Just received my calipers from Pete (PNM) and I think the pistons are just setted to operate the handbrake so, I need to turn the piston 45 degree or what to insert the pads?

How much the piston must be protuding from the caliper when fitting the pads?

Sorry for the stupid question guys but I'm really confusued so some pics would be great.

(jus saw the LEW guide but...)

Thanks

Giorgio

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Turn the pistons through 45 degrees and push them back as far as is possible...the face of the piston will be about level with the caliper cylinder. Turn back 45 degrees again....fit the pads to the part that is bolted to the car, then - with the pins fitted, top and bottom, with the usual copper grease, wiggle the piston/cylinder/handbrake assembly over the pads and fit the retaining screws to the pins. Can seem impossible but they WILL go over the pads!!

Hi John,

thanks for your help. something different if I have the calipers on the bench?

Giorgio

Ok, just tried to rotate the piston, but nothing happens, it's nearly impossible to push it in....

Here some pics of the caliper, can you see something wrong in the piston position or other issue?

I need to compress the piston with a tool?

Giorgio

post-3419-0-10455200-1347314481.jpg

post-3419-0-93244400-1347314497.jpg

They do get very stiff, can you not get it in a vice & force the piston back using sockets as spacers??

Maybe it's time to recondition it, you can get seal kits from SJS

They are NEW! :huh:

just got them back from PNM, fully refurbished mate.

what's the problem?

Giorgio

what I used to do was undo the three bolts at the back where the fluid is .You can now push the piston right in,the rear of the brake will then move out.Then turn the rear brake housing 45 deg,push it in, and it will then fit flush with the caliper housing then turn it 45 deg again so that the blots line up again.Works every time and will take a lot less time that writing this post.Cheers Paul G.

Different car to mine but is that piston not intended to be wound back, hence the cut out on the face. If you insert a bar or something similar across both grooves and then apply leverage the piston should wind back in under some pressure which is intended.

Again, different cars but its the front caliper which pushes back

Different car to mine but is that piston not intended to be wound back,

No, only post '85 cars have screw in pistons.

Ok guys,

the piston as showed in the photos was ready to fit the pads, no needs to turn anything, pads fitted on the pair, 10 minutes job!

Thanks Pete Musgrove for your great help.

Giorgio