free hit
counters
One for wing fans - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
USAndretti42

One for wing fans

I came across this advert for an S1 on Craigslist this evening. The write up is interesting. I didn't know that Lotus was going to change the headlights to low-profile lamps which, it seems, were an experiment on the S1 before the Esprit was discontinued. I would like to know what the "factory" mods were to accommodate a 6' 3" driver other than lowering the seat onto the floor.

Anyway, connoisseurs, enjoy the add:-

~1977 Lotus ESPRIT Coupe, --loaded with $50k in refinements which make this likely the most desirable specimen of ColinChapman's supreme creation! For example, a below photo shows a comparison between the special experimental aerodynamic low-profile DOT-approved sealed-beam retractable-headlamps on the left, vs. the rather outlandish if ugly looking standard L.Esprit popUp-headlamps on the right; --this was to be offered on new L.Esprit's (-but then the Esprit was untimely discontinued). The showroom condition interior is in Corinthian/brown-Leather, and has been factory-modified to give ample head & leg room for a 6'3"-driver; --plus the elect./door-windows have been improved to lower fully into the window-sill (-which standard Esprit's do not!). There is a dash-switch to illuminate the 45*-slant 4cyl.-2Liter DOHC engine within the unique transparent engine-cover; --whereby the driver can look back and view the engine at night through the cockpit/aft-window while driving! The electrical-system has been up-graded from the problematical Lucas to a reliable USA/marine-quality system. Another photo shows the stylish louvered aft-window where just above is integrated an LED/Brake-light, -positioned beneath the high-efficiency roof-wing. The Brake-system employs silicon-oil, and the engine naturally uses Mobil-1. Driving the car with it's 5-speed transaxle and inboard/disk-brakes is a wonderful experience, the uniquely rigid monocoque/tunnel-frame kept the weight down to only 2,350-lbs, -thus the rack&pinion-steering is precise and handles far more nimbly than half-ton heavier later versions. This car is priced above the market at $25K(-no Tax), and thus strictly for the connoisseur whom appreciates one-of-a-kind motorcars. While i don't entertain tire-kicking lookie-lou's, --if seriously interested feel free to make inquiry... ~Robair vH

5I45L45J93J13oe3N2c9598fb029f698e10b8.jpg

5I45L45J93J13oe3N2c9598fb029f698e10b8.jpg

5L15I35H93L93Ff3J7c95a028165341e6185e.jpg

5L65O15X63Jd3He3l7c95c92cf4a616ac1ae9.jpg

5G85K45Fe3L33Ma3N7c95bf5216be638a1338.jpg

5W35K75Jd3Ef3J53N9c95d75d115dd60d134c.jpg

5Nc5L95H53I13p13H4c959d804cb9731e1bdf.jpg

5Ne5L25G93E73M83Fac95d547c15ad48f14fc.jpg

5K55F65H13G23If3J7c9532b16f43a1d71da1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Someone should pass it onto Swizbeats

He forgot to mention that having a glass engine cover is in fact a practical addition as it means you see whether the engine has caught fire or not. Something I learned with mine... High efficiency wing is my favourite bit though.....

That wing looks highly efficient and helping the car get airborne! :lol:

I'm pretty sure this car has been posted on here before and as far as I can remember it was a fair while ago. I would suggest that he is having a lot of trouble moving the car on.

Not a wonder. :hrhr:

I think that the word improvements should be used with sarcmarks - ^^ around them to surely show that this is completely ironically written? My favourite additions are the wing mirrors, that look like they've been added by a neanderthal.

If someone told me they'd spent 50k on this I would point them to the loony bin!

Anyone else puzzled as to why there is no picture of the "Showroom Condition Interior"?

ramjet Yesterday, 08:26 AM

Anyone else puzzled as to why there is no picture of the "Showroom Condition Interior"?

Maybe the interior is crafted from cutting edge shell-suit material....i believe green and blue are respected colours?...

Maybe you're right. Leisure suit green with blue trim. :hrhr:

the wing is positioned closer to the center of gravity on this Esprit S1 ..so the effect on downforce is more 'balanced' between the wheels :D

..as for the 50k spent ..you can do the same on 'hautecoture' kind of stuff, and still look like a granny with Botox .. as seen on many Upperclass celebrety events all across the world. So money spend on a specific thing does not mean that someone does have taste in generall