free hit
counters
The Meaning of Life (not the Python film) - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Moxie

The Meaning of Life (not the Python film)

For reasons unknown, the same day Ian started his "'LIFE' - If you could do it again..." thread, I was thinking of starting this thread, i.e., what's the meaning of life. So for what it's worth, here's my take on it...

While it may seem circular, I think the meaning of life is the pursuit of meaning itself, and that the only things that really give our lives meaning are our connections to others. We're incredibly fortunate to have these insanely cool cars, guitars, or whatever other swag floats your boat, but at the end of the day (and your life) I think it's all about your connections to people and the transcendent meaning you've given them and vice versa.

I also think the pursuit of other transcendent things, like music, give and share meaning, but they're secondary to our direct connections to others.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Speaking personally, the final sequence of the Monty Python film DID contain the meaning of life. What was it ? "Try and get on with people, take some exercise, read a good book every now and again..."

That`s all there is,. It was the oration at my mum`s funeral by the way. :book:

6 X 9

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

I think that molemot may have something to say about this.

But I wont understand it.

Edited by slewthy

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Taking the literal position, that being "the biological imperative," there can only be one purpose for life, the perpetuation of it, both one's own and one's contribution to its lineage, i.e., offspring. All other permutations follow from this basic view, up to and including the human need to attach personal "values" to the various imperatives of survival, territorialism, competition, reproduction, quality of life-seeking, and group forming. Yes, lifted from Wiki, and why not? It is a compendium of global thought, is it not?

So, while we may parse away at individual profundities, as the saying goes, "In the long run we are all dead." One's "choice" (assuming the existence of free will, a topic of equal import for those who have taken the time to investigate its ramifications) of raison d'être is of little consequence in the overall grand scheme of things. We are but a small cog in the Universe (Multi-verse?), and what we make of our brief time here is completely whimsical in the extreme. Any "meaning" assigned to it is altogether arbitrary, unless, of course, one brings into play the cultural concept of religion. "Here there be dragons," and vast differences of opinion that serve mainly to muddy the waters for freethinkers.

The meaning of life? It can be only what you "choose" (see "free will" caveat above) to elect, based on personal reasoning, or cultural upbringing, or most likely a combination of both. Simply be happy that, by accident of birth, you've had the opportunity to ponder the question. :)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

unless, of course, one brings into play the cultural concept of religion. "Here there be dragons,"

Thank you John, for making me laugh so hard it hurt. Now then, where are my Dawkins and Dennett books?

Speaking of Dennett and quasi-meaning of life stuff, have I ever mentioned this brilliant bit of television?: http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/12/arts/television-six-smart-guys-sitting-around-talking.html?pagewanted=all

It was only ever released on VHS, and they'll need to pry my set from my deathgrip when they bury me.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Was suitably impressed with the producer of that program's choice of initial sentence in the invitational letter sent out to the sought after participants...

"We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep."

(Prospero, The Tempest, Act 4, Scene 1)

As always, The Bard was "dead on" in his world view. Sorry about the pun.

There are days when I just can't help myself. :smoke:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

What is the meaning of life?...

Its obviously the science of breathing, reproduction, etc That might be interpreted as survival...and of course the meat of Matt's question is why bother to survive. There's a clear danger, if ever you allow your mind to wander down these cul-de-sacs, that its very easy to conclude that there's not really much point and there the great abyss of depression lies in wait for those who need more.

Just about all of religion is there as a simple device to stop us arriving at that abyss. There's a good case to celebrate religion in that it often achieves its goal in that regard. But it does so in a way that anyone else's similar but different approach presents such a fundamental flaw to the doctrine that it has to be discredited and wiped out - rather paradoxical for a survival strategy I've always felt!

What is sad to me is that people seem to need there to be some "meaning" and they are not satisfied to do the Python thing

"Try and get on with people, take some exercise, read a good book every now and again..."

So if you cant be content with just doing stuff that leaves you contented, go with John and....

Simply be happy that, by accident of birth, you've had the opportunity to ponder the question. :)

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

I think, when you have had a chance to look at, or a scare to bring it into the forefront of your mind, your mortality, it gives you a better view on life. It makes you think about "all those questions". Here's what my experience has made me think the meaning of life is.

What is the meaning of life?

It's not about leaving in a financial windfall for those around you, Life isn't about being wealthy or the collection of treasures. You just need enough to do what you want.

To love and be loved. To bring joy and to help those who know you. To do the things that you always wanted to do, to see a sunrise and a sunset from a place you love and with those you love (for me it's Cyprus :) ). Its about living your life well, not by some written standard but by your saying "If this was my last moment would I be proud of who I am, what I have done and, even more importantly, will those who I love look back and smile with happy and funny memories of me. I would want my friends to get pissed and say "Wish Tony was here, he'd be dropping his trousers about now...do you remember the time...."

But you can make all that into one sentence. "To be missed with a smile".

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I think Slewthy's avatar says it all..."Suck - Squeeze - Bang - Blow"!!!

The more you think about it, the more it makes sense....that Otto bloke knew a thing or two about life. Him and his cycle.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Firstly, there is a discrepancy between posts #2 and #4: this almost caused me to flush the whole damned thing.

Secondly, and on a more serious note, think hard about those societies where "life is cheap", or about those people who piss their lives away: then you will know that the meaning of life is that we value and treasure it.

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

One thing I've learned, Patrick, is that Mr. Weaver (post 4) is no fool. Either he's using "new math" to make a point, or yin yang sexual innuendo to make one's point even larger. <_<

Which brings me to the following trivia tidbit:

The term “soixante-neuf” has not been traced any earlier than certain Whore’s Catechisms published in the 1790s in France, usually attributed to the … early leader of the French Revolution, Mlle. Théroigne de Méricourt."[6]

Who knew?

I don't see anyone mentioning "Karma". "As you sow, so shall you reap". I know this opens up another complete can of worms, but it does, sort of, make sense.

Say terrible things about say a Ferrari and your next time round you will be forced to own one.

It would also answer many questions about why some people are born with disabilities.

Anyone read Many Mansions written by Gina Cerminara about the life of Edgar Cayce??

Ferraris suck. Ferraris suck. Ferraris suck.

Wow, that was easy. When do I get to pick it up? :lol:

Can't let this one slide by, Roger. As far as I can determine, disabilities are caused by genetic errors during gestation. By what mechanism would a prior life's actions influence a new life's embryonic process? Where is the "link?" Words such as "karma" don't cut it for me. Not that I advocate living an immoral of meanspirited life, but even if you did, what possible connection would that have to a "reincarnated" self, even if that continuity were feasible? Osmosis? Aura energy? Gravity waves? Ionic force fields? Spoon bending? If there is to be any transferrence of a past life's actions to a new life's characteristics, then there has to be a medium by which the influence occurs. If that is so, it would be discoverable by the scientific method. I am unable to find any verifiable data on this required mechanism.

In any case, even assuming the possibility of karmic influence on one's "next life," it appears that no one is able to retain accurate and testable memories of the previous adventure. Oh, there are folks claiming such memories, but not one of them has provided verifiable proof of such claims. Not everyone can have been Caesar, most would have to have been Caesar Salads instead. Do the math.

I know we've been down this road before in a previous thread, and I am aware of how strongly you feel about the subject, but until I see definitive evidence supporting such claims, I remain decidedly dubious.

Cheers,

John

p.s., can I request that the car be delivered in red, and with the high end stereo?

...Not that I advocate living an immoral of meanspirited life...

Ferraris suck. Ferraris suck. Ferraris suck.

Wow, that was easy. When do I get to pick it up? :lol:

See, I detect another disconnect, though I must say I was considering engaging in the same process. BTW, the answer to your question, apparently, is "after you have died and been reborn".

And, apropos of nothing: editing things out of context is fun!

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

"See, I detect another disconnect..."

Hey, just because I don't "advocate" being meanspirited doesn't mean I can't engage in it. :harhar:

Totally get the "after you have died and been reborn" requirement for the Fezza acquisition under Karmic Rules. And, even though I have great credulity issues with the concept of reincarnation, I figure a "Pascal's Wager" gambit is still worth a try just in case.

Soooooo...........

Ferraris are truly awful cars. Why would anybody want a bright red grossly overpowered 730 hp 8,700 rpm redline V12 F12berlinetta GTB fully equipped with blue tooth enabled state of the art entertainment center with Nero/Cuaio Frau leather interior appointed with cabon fiber highlights and hauled down with carbon-ceramic brakes riding on a “magnetorheological” suspension control system. Yes, truly awful, abominable and dreadful vehicles!

I wonder if mine will come with the 20" Grigio Ferro sport rims? :)

I was at Brands Hatch in 1976. A pox on Ferrari. :2guns:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)