free hit
counters
Weird IPS gear change behaviour when reaching the limiter - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
sb272

Weird IPS gear change behaviour when reaching the limiter

Hi - first post here!

I have a deposit on an Evora IPS and took it for a test drive today. It appeard to drive fine in full auto mode and also sport auto mode until I really started to push the car.

In full auto mode when using full throttle the car would reach the rev limiter in 2nd, bounce off it and then wait maybe half a second before changing to third. I believe correct behaviour would be to change up a couple of hundred rpm before the limiter, giving a much smoother change and also a faster change.

When in sport auto mode the car refused to change gear when the limiter was reached until I lifted off the throttle pedal. As I was not in the manual paddle mode I would expect the box to change up just before the limiter.

I understand that in Manual mode the box won't change up until you tell it too. However I feel that in auto modes it should always change up.

Please could those of you with IPS confirm the box change behaviour when you reach the rev limiter.

There were some other issues with the car and those should be sorted before I complete payment but I am concerned that there is an underlying problem with the car's gearbox and that I should probably reject it on those grounds.

The car is MY11 with around 16000 miles on it. It aparantly has the latest calibration for the gearbox control unit.

Edited by sb272

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi there,

Mine is a late 2011 IPS model.

When in full auto mode (whether Sport or not) the geabox changes without hesitation.

In Normal mode and full throtlle my gearbox changes gear way before reaching the rev limiter (don't need to lift the throttle).

In Sport mode and full throtlle my gearbox changes gear almost reaching the rev limiter (don't need to lift the throttle).

The behaviour you experienced isn't normal I think.

Thanks Maurice.

I thought my box wasn't right, inspite of the dealer trying to say TADTS!!

Do you know which box calibration (software revision) you have?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by sb272

Welcome to TLF Steve. :welcome:

You should duck over to the Introductions thread and say hi in there as well.

First Lotus for yourself, is it? You'll get the answers re the gearbox that you are after once everyone starts seeing your post.

Any other questions or issues with forum use, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

Hi Steve

I have a MY2011 IPS with 3,500 miles, which I purchased early August 2012. It has exactly the same issues as you describe.

It went into Bell & Colvill last week to have the latest software installed - this turned out to be a difficult job as they had the car for several days, even after I waited 2.5 hours for what was said to be a 45 minute job on Tuesday. So, off I went in a loan car.

Eventually got the Evora back on Friday, but it is still exhibiting all the same gear change issues.

Lets hope we can get this resolved.

I've asked the clever people in Norfolk about this, will let you know the response :)

Well I asked a dumb question didn't I? Missed your profile where it said current car Elise S1.

Hey, it was early in the morning and I had just got up. :hrhr:

Mind you, I don't know if that was there this morning? :detective:

Thanks for the replies guys.

I really only have time for one forum, and the one I use didn't have any info about this issue so I turned to Google and found this forum with some useful info on.

Yep - I have a (much modified) S1 Elise and have owned Elises since 1997. Hopefully an Evora can be my next purchase, purely as a roadcar to run as standard every day transport. I have a deposit on a car but want to ensure it is right before I go any further.

IPS update

I was honoured to beta test new IPS software a few weeks ago. It fixed the 'flare' between 3rd and 4th (which Toyota had fixed in 2008) but did not sort the full throttle up change issue. It introduced the ability to select 1st gear when moving.

Last week my car had the full production version of the IPS software installed and I can confirm that the full throttle upshift issue when in sports auto has been fully resolved. There is still an occasional quirky / clunky downshift in the system (4-3 in sport and 3-2 in drive), Lotus tell me they are working on them, but the overall effect is for a much better drive.

So, if you have an Evora IPS contact you dealer to check if they have the latest version available (released in UK 21st November 2012) and  ask to get the upgrade done - enjoy.