free hit
counters
Gone From Elise to Evora... - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Gone From Elise to Evora...

The Evora will corner faster than an Elise but will also go over speed bumps etc without you losing your fillings. It's like the good bits of an Elise but more grown up.

For normal road use the S is not worth the extra (in my opinion of course). My concerns with the S were more the resale valve if I sold it in several years - the road tax is double the NA and will continue to increase, I would pay it now on a £50k car but in 5 years will people want to be paying so much on a £20k car?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say the cost of insurance and road tax would be reflected in the price but I hear you the Evora will never be as cheap to run as an Elise.

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

I did a quick calculation on likely total running costs for my Evora S compared to my old Elise SC and reckoned it was roughly twice the annual amount including fuel, insurance, tax, servicing and consumables.

That's based on:

• 5,000 miles a year of mainly weekend driving plus two track days (entry fees excluded)
  • additional cost of a tracker (required in year one but not once car sub £40k value)
  • more expensive tyres than some Evoras because I have the 19/20 wheels
  • assuming new rear tyres after 10k miles and fronts after 20k miles on both cars
  • the higher manual S road tax (IPS S is lower)
  • S fuel consumption of 20mpg versus 30mpg in the Elise
  • dealer servicing costs

I did the figures for an 18/19-shod S and an NA too but don't have the numbers to hand.

I did a quick calculation on likely total running costs for my Evora S compared to my old Elise SC and reckoned it was roughly twice the annual amount including fuel, insurance, tax, servicing and consumables.

Sounds about right, but I wonder what the figures would be for a similarly priced Audi, BMW, Mercedes,etc, or even the new Jag F Type.... none of which would come close in overall driving experience. The Elise is a very cheap car to run, people are amazing when I tell them what my annual costs were on the 'R'. A fairer comparison would be against a Porker or perhaps an Aston Vantage.

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Interesting thread, I'm seriously considering flipping a Morgan Roadster (3.0L V6) for an Evora but the poor mpg of the S is a downer and the N/A has no real world performance advantage over the Mog....

MPG isn't too bad low to mid 20ies for spirited driving, well, super spirited will get it further down, but is isn't bad at all. My crappy Opel / Vauxhall Insognia 2.0T 4x4 is in the high tens... and no fun.

I run since 3 years on 9 liters per 100 KM average. the low was 6,9 LPKM by rolling and cruising modestly. I think it is fantastic for such a car. The Radium CAI helped a bit too to lower consumption. Anyhow: Germand highway bites.

15-16 ltr / 100 km which matches 16-15 mpg is about my average in the Evora S. Obviously I Streß the car a bit harder than some.

But, as to finish first first you have to finish first.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Two weeks in and still a culture shock... I'm starting to enjoy, or perhaps appreciate the car more, it's definitely less of a toy than the Elise which isn't always a bad thing, I still miss the race car rawness of the Elise but I'm enjoying the sure footed, buckets of powerness too and pretty soon the car will be dropped off for that first 1000's service.... :smoke:

Good work :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Enjoy the Evora!

And, if you still need something with race car rawness there is a guy in California who might have an idea for you. I believe his name here is ronin :smoke:

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

However... today was a non Evora day and I can't wait to get behind the wheel tomorrow, hit sport mode and flappy paddle away. It's taken time but the magic's definitely there...

:thumbsup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 2 weeks later...

I made the switch from a Europa S to Evora S earlier this year, and I'm hooked - the handling, agility, power and exhaust note coupled with the classy feel of the MY2012 interior (by far the best Lotus have ever done) and the amazingly supple ride - a lot of bang for your buck, in my opinion.

Every time I get behind the wheel feels like a real occasion, and the car has attracted nothing but favourable comment whereever it goes. I love the rarity (even if resale values don't!). The timing of Evora's launch couldn't have been worse (niche manufacturer launching new product into a sector it had been out of for a few years into the teeth of a recession...), and it was a shame that it wasn't launched in S, MY2012 spec, from the off, as it seems to have been tainted from the initial impressions at launch. What Lotus need to do is work out their marketing strategy to actually sell them and get people out of 911s, Caymans, TT RS-es etc - and for that you do need the profile of F1 and sportcar racing and, much as it was derided, Dany Bahar's ideas about making Lotus a lifestyle, aspirational brand.

I now feel I have worked my way up the range the classic way - when I was young free and single, I had a Elise S1, the classic boys' toy. Then as I got a bit older (and less flexible!), the Europa S with the full leather interior enabled me to still access the amazing performance but with the rough edges of the Elise smoothed off; now easing into middle age with the possible prospect of family life and I have a fantastic looking, handling, driving car which is a great car to do long distances in and can, when the time comes, take kiddie seats!

Wow..... best of both worlds, an Evora in Elise Sports Racer guise! Really suits the car, mine's the total opposite, very understated but the car works well at both ends of the scale! I'm sure you'll love it!!!

What's the year, spec?

Good luck with that... I've spent the past month avoiding all the toys, I just used the sat nav yesterday for the first time AND it even took me where I wanted to go.... result!

• 4 weeks later...

When this thread first started I thought I was going down the Evora route, however before I got to drive one I realised

- an Evora was too wide for my garage

- going to cost a lot more to run than my Morgan, ie a set of 4 Avons £360 -wouldn't buy one 20" for that

- don't need 2+2, kids grown up now, just me and the wife, used to travelling light, having done some continental trips by Mog

- it only took a short test drive in the Elise S- the Group C view from the drivers seat, razor edge wings and a clear view of the road just a few feet away. When I sat in an Evora it reminded me of a 997 or 991, a high scuttle with little to reference where the corners of the car are

Coming from a Morgan even Elise is spacious and comfortable, performance pretty much the same but worlds apart in how they deliver

6876df76ff4c6c5e7469c5d0770df9f4.jpg

Out of interest, did you take an Evora for a drive?

Ha ha, I might look daft but I'm not that stupid! If I had driven an Evora I would now be in the process of widening the garage and selling a spare kidney