free hit
counters
Head or Heart - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
JonneyB

Head or Heart

Hello all. Apologies for the ramble - hopefully you can help me. I have been a car nut since the age of eight but when I look back I have never really had a great car. I've gone through the typical company cars and, whilst they've always been well specced, they've always been dull. The first time I could really pick a car for 'me' having sorted out the family car (XC90) I thought about the Elise, but then relented as by this time I had three children so ended up with a Mini Cooper S works. Well it had four seats. I do visit a lot of customers in my business and they loved it. Needing a little more room and perhaps a bit of refinement I followed it with a BMW 120 M sport. Until it snowed! That had to go for that reason but also because of the unbelievable badge hatred displayed by my customers (despite it being cheaper to buy/tax/fuel/insure than the Mini). Back into the current Mini brand with 4 wheel drive and five seats (children slightly older now). What's my point? Just a bit of background for you to understand me.

I'm now approaching my fiftieth and don't want to go on as a frustrated car nut. I have to get it out of my system. I started looking at Porsche (steady now) as I've always felt they are timeless and an aspirational car (I am not a man of vast funds). My budget (which is slightly made up as really I don't have one) would only really take me to an 03 911 anyway. I can't remember the exact recall moment but last week I remembered the Evora launch three years ago and saying that that was a car I would really love. So now, Porsche desire well and truly ditched, I have spent hours on all the forums looking at opinions/reviews and can see that this forum appears to have the most level headed people on the internet!

So now the dilemma. I would have to have a runaround to visit my clients but at present I will have the use of an Aygo I bought for my 17 year old daughter to learn to drive in. So do I get out of my Countryman (albeit with a fairly chunky hit as less than two years old) now and go straight for the Evora NA, preferably IPS (S out of my range both price and running cost)? Do I get rid of the Countryman now (stopping any further depreciation), drive Aygo for the winter and wait for the price to dip on Evora and buy in March? Do I stay in Countryman for the winter and trade in for Evora in March and buy a runaround then also (assuming daughter has passed test and Aygo is nowhere to be seen)?

My head knows what to do, my heart also knows but thought you could have fun with it. After all, I will have to convince my wife that the Evora +2 is a 'practical family car'. Luckily she is only 5ft so when the kids get a bit taller she'll be the one in the back. She's very understanding but will naturally say we can't afford it. Of course, she's right but I'm rather impulsive and will normally find a way. Incidentally you might be shocked to hear that the Mini only achieves 32mpg and I don't drive it hard!

Edited by JonneyB

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome to TLF :welcome:

http://www.thelotusf...t-winter-tyres/

Evora_IPS-1-5.jpg

The Evora is hugely practical and NA IPS is my choice too, great performance and on a run better MPG than your Mini. Evora prices are pretty stable and if anything have strengthen recently due to supply, I'd be confident to say that they're not going to be much lower next March than they are now.

PS That's the long term test car I had for 3 months, stunning car and my favourite out of all the ones I had. It's for sale right now and if I had the cash I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

http://www.oakmeremo...-Tech-(AU11EFA)

Happy shopping, look forward to pics!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

If the 2+2 is a major factor to you I'd go and check those rear 'seats' out. I suppose it's a useful space but it's very cramped, I wouldn't think it's a viable place to sit for more than a few miles, if at all! My kids are in their teens now and even if they could fit, ( which is doubtful! ), I doubt they'd want to be seen trying to squeeze in and out of the back.

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

I went to have a look at the +2 yesterday and saw exactly what you mean. I guess I was living in hope before seeing them. They are not the essential bit but are nice to have for emergencies only. It would also help the sale at home as once it's on the drive it won't be going back.

You need to read the fine print.

The person shown in the back seat is a 5-percentile female. The 5th-percentile female is 5 feet tall and weighs 110 pounds. I can't remember at the moment how tall the driver was.

So, theoretically your wife could sit in the bac, but you woult likely have to remove the drivers seat as they did in the picture. :huh:

Edited by TBD

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

I read the 5 feet tall bit but I'd never noticed they'd achieved that amazing feat of contortionism by removing the front seats, nicely spotted!

Come to think of it the Evora seats are a bit lardy for my liking, I wonder how much rear space you'd gain by slotting a pair of Probax seats in there? :smoke:

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

As the owner & driver, you will sit in the front, that's all that REALLY matters! :)

You need to read the fine print.

The person shown in the back seat is a 5-percentile female. The 5th-percentile female is 5 feet tall and weighs 110 pounds. I can't remember at the moment how tall the driver was.

So, theoretically your wife could sit in the bac, but you woult likely have to remove the drivers seat as they did in the picture. :huh:

The wife would need to, *ahem* open her legs - then sitting in the rear would not conflict with the back of the front seat ... :D

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

The Kama Sutra talks about the "lotus-like position," but I'm not about to post it up here. :innocent: Looks like it's only good for short drives anyway.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

The amount of useable space in the back completely depends on how tall the driver is. With me there is still enough space behind the driver's seat for the kids to get their legs behind (just) and I have done 2-3 hour journeys with two adults and two children in comfort. If you are 6' or above though you may find there is no leg room, unless you are willing to drive with your knees under your chin (or the rear passengers can sit on theirs). Either way, the rear seats do provide an excellent excuse for buying the car if one is needed - worked for me anyway.

Did you drive the car you looked at? Once you do you will be hooked, and the seats will suddenly become perfectly fine.

I'm 5'8" and spent 3/4 hr in the back behind my 5'4" wife. Felt very cramped for first five mins then was OK to be honest, been in the rear of other cars that are as bad, although visibility out of the back is worse in the Evora.

That said I would only use them as emergency or occasional seats even for kids.

Leaving aside the +2 discussion, I can only recommend the Evora over a 911. Used mine for 1 year as daily driver, behaves well in wi ter and still OK for client visits. You can play it down a bit, sympathy is there and you don't get that with a 911. Get it, live is too short, or get something sensible plus a used Elise as fu toy for the weekend (what I did in the past, but wanted to get away from 3 cars for 2 people).

Welcome to TLF Jonathon. :welcome:

You should also duck over to the Introductions thread and make yourself known there.

Other than that, any questions about forum use or issues, feel free to contact one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

ps. Do it......

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I just realised that I misunderstood your thread. I'm sure you meant your head recommended the Evora and that you meant your daughter's Aygo with the heart.

That's an easy decision, and as you said. You won't see your daughter anyways once she has her license. So take the Evora.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Hi Thomas. Yes the 'head heart' thing started to get a bit lost in the thread with more focus on the +2. The +2 was more of a tongue in cheek aside in explaining to my wife that it really was a practical car. No matter as it's all been thoroughly entertaining! It just shows the passion amongst everyone towards the car. The 'head' says sell the Mini now, drive the Aygo for the winter, wait for the Evora price to drop a bit and buy it in Spring (I did, however, hear what you said Bibs about the price). The 'heart' says stuff it and go for it now. I'm afraid Sven76 that the vitriol from my clients when arriving in a BMW was enough. Turning up in an Evora would have a few normal people and enthusiasts having a good old chinwag without any hint of resentment, but unfortunately the Daily Mail readers would probably not open the door to me (apologies for the generalisation if you read the Daily Mail but I think you'll get my drift).

Interestingly I broke it to my wife this weekend and she initially thought I was talking about a Porsche and said lots of negative comments. When I said it was an Lotus she went even further (thinking Elise, which, let's be honest, would not be the most practical car for me in my circumstances) until I showed her the pictures. I then mentioned I was looking at an IPS so she could drive it (again no offence intended to the ladies but she does prefer her automatic and found the clutch heavy on the Mini Cooper S works so would not enjoy the Evora's) and I think she warmed to it and started picturing it on the drive. Anyway, hoping to drive one soon. Thanks to everyone for the fun. Hope to join you properly soon (although naturally I'm not going to rush into the first one I see despite how impulsive I may be).

I'm beginning to warm to the practicality side of the Evora, I still miss the rawness and out and out fun factor of the Elise, but something tells me once the bad weather really kicks in the stay I may just rethink my position.

I moved from an Elise to the Evora, so I can confirm that th Evora is practical.

On the clients, it depends a bit on the business you are in, agree that some might get the wrong impression. But an Evora is certainly not a car for the super rich but more for the enthusiasts. And you can always play the car down a bit, it has a Toyota engine and gearbox...

I'm beginning to warm to the practicality side of the Evora, I still miss the rawness and out and out fun factor of the Elise, but something tells me once the bad weather really kicks in the stay I may just rethink my position.

Yep, in particular as the Evora will give you more trust on slippery / wet roads, where I always felt that the Elise is a bitch!

Do you think a black one would be a nightmare? I do always look after my cars. I always said I'd never have a black car as they look dirty within minutes of cleaning but it looks stunning. It might be a marmite question though.

Just check the picture thread. You'll probably find every combination there.