free hit
counters
Brake bulkhead fitting - source - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Loose Cannon

Brake bulkhead fitting - source

During refurbing the diff/ rear brakes on the Eclat I foolishly hacked through a seemingly insignificant part that was rusted solid, now to find it unavailable anywhere it seems.

It's the middle part in the pic below, 3/8 (I think) long male nose goes through a hole in a bracket attached to the diff carrier, leaving a female end exposed for a bleed nipple

diff4.jpg

diff3.jpg

To satisfy the immediate need I robbed this one off my Elite, but will only face the same hunt when time comes to attack that car (soon). All searches for 3/8 bulkhead fittings seem to return a male/male fitting which I can't figure how to accommodate the nipple. I have found something referred to as a "3/8 female inverted flare" on US sites, don't know if that's the same.

Is there another way around this?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I don't know the Eclat, but are you sure it's a flare fitting? Or is it an AN-3 fitting. They have a different angle (37 vs 45deg)... But their threads are the same (3/8-24).

Giorgio - yes checked that site, none of their connectors accept a nipple

Travis - getting a bit technical for me! Have no idea about AN-3/flare, is that a difference between UK/US fittings? The nipple is as shown in the pic, can you DIY measure an angle on something that small to within 8 degrees?

Hi Mark, i've got one that I took of of an Eclat 2.2 that I broke, probably got some more but no idea where, its yours for a drink if you want it, its a bit rusty on the outside but is in usable condition. pm me and i'll take a picture for you.

Regards Dan

The bleed nipple part on the right appears to have a standard 3/8" or it could be 10mm thread (which is standard these day for brakes). I don't know if those have 90 or 120 deg tips.

For hydraulic hose connections, the Esprit had all AN-3 fittings rather than US flare fittings. I just don't know about the Eclat.

More info here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN_thread

I can't tell what the tip is on the middle fitting. Looks like that is not AN-3. Does it fit into a cone, or is that a crush washer that is used for sealing?

The male threaded part (that is left after passing through the flange) fits into a female connector, so the cone tip fits the end of the last bit of copper pipe.

Now that Dan has kindly come to the rescue with a spare I can fit it all together and take pic for your information. It's a solution I'm presuming was only used on the S2 Elite/Eclat with single line rear brakes as the parts book diagram for the twin line S1s doesn't show a bleeding arrangement, so presume you had to do it on the cylinders (very tricky).

I would have thought this little part more common than it seems though, as a solution to perhaps other inboard systems where access to wheel cylinders is limited