free hit
counters
Rev Limiter at 5k when warm.. - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Rev Limiter at 5k when warm..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deafening silence!

Temp gauge defo reading normal? That is the limit it cuts in at when cold, frequently catches me out as I have only a short drive before open road so not always warmed through & I forget, so maybe connected in some way?

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

You may have a pending code, some errors need to re-occur a few times before they show a CEL but it is restricting the RPM all the same. Best plan, as much as it's a pain I'm sure, is to get it on a tech centre at Murrays where they can check for pending codes, get some engine history and some live data.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Justin I've struggled with this problem for over a year. Dealership couldn't diagnose it because they couldn't repro it.

I did a few things that I think resolved the problem almost entirely:

1. Installed Radium CAI back in June.

2. While installing my CAI, I went ahead and cleaned the MAF and integrated temp sensor with zero-residue cleaner.

3. Added 16 oz. of Hy-Per Lube Super Coolant to my coolant. Dropped a notch off my temp gauge.

4. Eliminated the stock silencer and main cat. Swapped it out with a custom designed exhaust.

So far I've had no issues whatsoever. I continue to improve cooling with plans to:

1. replace rear glass hatch with a louvered hatch.

2. Install heat cloth around air intake tube.

3. <maybe> Install fans on engine cover to extract more air from engine compartment. It will be operated by the sport mode switch, via the unused 12V connector that previously operated the hobbs switch used in enabling the bypass valve on the stock air box.

4. <maybe> install a custom oil-cooler setup in the engine bay.

4. oil coolers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I had this today. 

Interestingly this coincided with cruise not being available. :ermm:

No fault codes (I checked) and engine off + restart brought back both cruise and 7.2krpm rev limit.

Any ideas?

The car thinks it's in neutral that's why both the engine is limited to 5K and the cruise control has stopped working. Try revving the car above 5K in neutral, it should go past 5K. So it's likely to be a sensor in either the gearbox or the clutch pedal (if the clutch pedal has one). 

A similar thing has happened to my 400 twice. On the first occasion it suddenly wouldn't rev past 4,000, engine fully warm after 10 mile run. Eventually pulled over and a restart fixed it. The second time after a similar run it dropped out of Sport and revs were limited to about 2,000. This time it cleared itself after 10 seconds. On both occasions no dash lights and no fault codes. Mysterious. :cry:

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 07:39, superdavelotus said:

The car thinks it's in neutral that's why both the engine is limited to 5K and the cruise control has stopped working. Try revving the car above 5K in neutral, it should go past 5K. So it's likely to be a sensor in either the gearbox or the clutch pedal (if the clutch pedal has one). 

Interesting. Clearly this is "a thing" with Evora (and presumably v6 Exige too?).

Dave - is this your prognosis (which does absolutley sound plausible and could explain how the two issues appear simultaneously) or do you know this to be the case?

When you state above "try revving the car above 5k in neutral, it should go past 5k" do you mean "it should not go past 5k"? If yes - I see your logic.

Anyone know if the Evora has such a sensor for Neutral (or clutch-down)? And where it is located?

It has a clutch position sensor which is used for the cruise amongst other things. On my first long termer, the clutch sensor went so it would turn cruise off all the time, thinking I was depressing the clutch. I believe they are located at the pedal hinges, part 14 is the clutch potentiometer in this diagram.

14_01medium.gif

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

5 hours ago, mik said:

Interesting. Clearly this is "a thing" with Evora (and presumably v6 Exige too?).

Dave - is this your prognosis (which does absolutley sound plausible and could explain how the two issues appear simultaneously) or do you know this to be the case?

When you state above "try revving the car above 5k in neutral, it should go past 5k" do you mean "it should not go past 5k"? If yes - I see your logic.

Anyone know if the Evora has such a sensor for Neutral (or clutch-down)? And where it is located?

Hi Mik,

It was just a process of eliminating symptoms and the two must be connected in my opinion. When I had my Evora, when it was in neutral, it wouldn't rev over 5K. I thought there was a problem but when I put it in gear then it worked fine. I am not a mechanic just using my logic!

Hope this helps,

David 

Tried to unplug the clutch connector yesterday - think its a drivers-seat-out job to get access. <_<

Also experimented today- in neutral or in gear, clutch up or down - I can switch the cruise on/off and I can rev the engine to 7k. So I am not sure it is the source of this Issue? :(

• 4 weeks later...

Out in the Highlands over the weekend. 

Probably did 350miles and this happened twice. Once after a section where i had been pressing on. The second time after i'd run for a while at lower speeds in traffic.

Hardly a frequent issue - clears with engine off and restart - but it is annoying.

Will need to get this looked at next time the car is in for work.

Edited by mik