free hit
counters
Alex's v8 re-build thread warning pic whore inside >:) - Page 17 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Alex's v8 re-build thread warning pic whore inside >:)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Those vents do look very good :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Very quiet Alex..... Next instalment please, holidays are not allowed.. :-)

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

• Gold FFM

Alex  ..as I see this turbo under it, have you tested the plastic (Polycarbonate ?)  vents you sell for 4pot application 

-in terms of head exposure and material degeneration (brown bubbles on overheat, milky shade on sunlight etc.)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• Gold FFM

so this is something Alex could pass by to the guy who made and sold them  -would be a bad thing if good idea just fails over time by the use of the wrong material

• Gold FFM

but what did he (Simon) mean ?

..it is just the first thought that comes in mind, if I see the 4pot turbo under it  (at least this is what the picture shows..)

Normaly there is a cover on top of the engine bay itself, even on the 4pot cars   -butt this situation looks like the owner wants to present the engine directly (of course)  -so time will tell what happens in a traffic jam

Edited by Günter

I kind of feel I'm responding for Alex now which I wasn't trying to, he's a big enough boy himself :)

I'm sure Alex will ask the question but ultimately someone just asked him as a favour to get him a set.

If it gets complicated he'll no doubt want to either not send them off to whoever wants them, or will put a mark up on them equal to his inconvenience as he will then be retailing along with all the complications that brings.

If he states they are ok, he then has to provide either substantiated evidence or a decent warranty, on something which is essentially a piece of plastic which he's done someone a favour on.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Oh and Alex, your engine looks good enough to lick all over! I so wish it was candy flavoured too, that'd be nice :D

Chunky Lover

• Gold FFM

that's what I say Simon ..those covers do look good and make sense in terms of 'styling'      -that's why I mention it would be bad if it fails if someone just only thought  'as long as it looks good none cares'

MORNING ALL ! Lol I'm sorry everyone works mental haven't touched a thing . Hi gunter x

Thanks simon . To further on they are not kiln tested it was an idea I had for a bit of show for the engine .It is made from sign grade acrylic so more durable to light water heat . It's twice the thickness of the normal plastics on there and they never melted so I'm confident they will be fine . Most people I'm guessing don't want the cook a car by sitting still in it for long periods but I had the holes just slightly overs sized for air movement .

In all honesty if they did melt badly then minus the postage I'd probably refund them their money I'm not out to be a Charlie uniform november tango :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a few things going on with the car so thought I'd get stuck in as it's cold out and the car is currently in a nice warm garage . Started by dropping the oil coolers and pipe work . For renewal and then onto the rad pack . There seems to be metal in between the fiberglass radiator shroud that's got water ingress and rusted in doing so it's split the fibreglass and looks terrible plus I've found two arms supporting the radiator that are also rusty so they are being media blasted and powder coated as we type .

I'm going to look at reworking the shroud in something that won't rust and split and also get a new radiator .I'm sure I saw a new bigger brighter core on here somewhere .?.?.?.

post-14598-0-80568400-1422329590.jpg

post-14598-0-83580700-1422329641.jpg

post-14598-0-47948300-1422329679.jpg

post-14598-0-84918100-1422329730.jpg

post-14598-0-87856100-1422329773.jpg

post-14598-0-68041800-1422329813.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 9 months later...

I hadn't read your rebuild thread before Alex, but have just spent the evening doing so now!

I had absolutely no idea...

Wow. As somebody who loves his rebuilds I can only salute you sir. Amazing work. Congratulations.

One question for you - what year is your V8 and how many miles had it done when you got it? I'm curious as to thinking about what work my '96 might need having seen all that you have done to yours which looked kinda necessary. Not that I'm scared of course. Just steeling myself...

And yes, I'm still open to offering you a scoot around the north of Wiltshire to keep the flame alive. Just ask. I might be embarrassed about the condition my Esprit is in now of course :(

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Thanks for the kind words guys much appreciated . My v8 is a 98 reg officially.

When I bought is I think it had 54k on the clock it's now on 56 k . That's not to say yours needs work at any millage it's all how they were driven and looked after . My one had a good beginning then seemed to be owned by stevie wonder and his band of can do mechanics 

I'm always down my workshop alan if you fancy a brew.

Ps I won't judge your car only offer friendly advice if needed . 

I think there are 4 V8s in town a yellow one owned by a south affrican guy called Chris , mine , yours and I keep seeing a red one every now and then . Might be local . 

• 4 weeks later...

so oil coolers ordered need to source a nice rad and fans but in the mean time more stainless has been purchased and I'm sorting the front pack out .

the fibreglass has split due to the steel swelling so its been cleaned sanded and now its bolted in place ill make the necessary repairs and ive also fab'd some new stainless side mounts .

20151202_124159_zpsallmekv4.jpg

20151202_103749_zpsbvyi3nmf.jpg

20151202_103740_zps1eivnurn.jpg

20151202_103745_zpsva8f1nhy.jpg

these are the steel / rusty bits that have cause the issue

20151202_103728_zpsfliissmi.jpg

20151202_124205_zpsq6fkxp1z.jpg

20151202_124212_zpsczd966nx.jpg

20151202_130843_zpsboz24mog.jpg

20151202_130838_zpsidumvbl2.jpg

20151202_130933_zps1bikh4l0.jpg

20151202_130923_zpsev4owaaa.jpg

20151202_133300_zpst9izpsxc.jpg

20151202_133854_zpss4jmorwf.jpg

20151202_133839_zpsxvlwjmnh.jpg

20151202_133834_zpszrbzpxxi.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Alex

Air con condensers here: http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/74177-air-con-condenser-radiators/

Coolant radiators, fans and housings here: http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/73484-coolant-radiators-fans-and-cowlings/

Shout if you want any more info.

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)