free hit
counters
Electrical Gremlins - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi guys, as I finally push the car towards it's MOT (possibly literally!) I've been hit by a couple of electrical gremlins.

Basically I've got a very long delay on one of the headlight pods lifting - the motor seems fine when it receives the right signal but something is not working properly.

I'm guessing it's probably the relays, I've got four of the 87A's in the loom - is there a modern replacement for those sort of parts?

Or is it another £60+VAT at SJS?!

I did have only one set of headlights too but I've put that down to a couple of faulty connections somewhere.

So I had one headlight pod up with no lights, and one down with lights :huh:

Pretty sure that's a MOT failure!

Oh yes and I've got no lift and flash - just flash!

Edited by Chris Southam

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Does the S2 have individual lift motors like the later cars?

Yep it does, I believe only the early S1s had a single motor. Possibly easier with the single motors as it's all linkages - easier to figure out.

The S2 has individual motors and each one has it's own relay it seems from the wiring diagram.

If the motor is energising and whirring away, the drive inside the little gearbox on the motor has quit on you. You can get kits for most of them. I had one go on my S4 which I fixed using nylon round bar the right size. Cut three small pieces the right length and Bob's your uncle. I think I'm just about to do the next one as it's started to play up.

The S2 may not be the same, but it's a place to start. If you think it's a relay, swap the headlight lift relays over. If the problem swaps as well, you've got your answer.

The hardest part of my job was getting the drive unit out.

Oh, and 87A's shouldn't be hard to come by?

Cool, yes I really should just swap them over and see what happens - two of the relays are on mounts and the other two are wired with spades.

Once the motor gets power it has no trouble lifting, it just doesn't seem to get power for anything up to two minutes after the other one!

I've ordered replacement matching changeover relays, hopefully that'll solve the problem - not identical Lucas ones but modern versions. Fingers crossed!

Did you swap them over first?

I had very odd behaviour in the pods until I changed all the relays. All fine now. I changed with cheapo ones from Halfords!!

That's good to know. I have found some much cheaper ones online to fingers crossed.

I did swap them but to be honest I don't know which ones are doing which job at the moment - so I've ordered the replacements and some mounts so it'll make the job easier in the future.

Thanks for the advice :)

Well I replaced the relays with £3 ones from http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/relays/relays.php (R20BC in case you are interested).

Now I get instant lift from both pods which is great news. I've not got lift and flash though so I'm guessing that's something wiring related.

Fingers crossed for MOT next week :)

Maybe not - my lack of lift and flash was also a duff relay. I found it a very good and useful execise to identify and label each and every relay. Only took an hour and helped me understand the wiring hugely. Mind you, all my wiring spaghetti was exposed at the time!

Buggerations! I had everything working temporarily and then went to wire it properly/solder connections and now I have no motors, no flash, intermittent hazards and a melted stalk!

It's got an MOT on Wednesday, hoping SJS can get me a new stalk by then.

So to continue this, I've had an auto electrician around twice to take a look at the headlights not lifting and he can't fathom it. Even took the circuit diagram away the first time to study.

Now when I hit the light switch, you can hear both lift relays going mad - switching back and forth very fast.

When I disconnect one of the red/green wires to one pod, the other pod lifts and then reconnecting it causes the second to lift.

I can follow the same procedure to get them to close again.

I've followed every wire, fuses, every connection against the diagram on all four relays, swapped old relays back in.

Still exactly the same problem.

If I leave both 'sensor' connections from the motors disconnected, then I don't get any movement or any crazy relay action. Unfortunately I've had to leave them in the up position.

Anyone know an expert I can take it too? Now it's got an MOT I can go anywhere!

Edited by Chris Southam

Hi Chris,

Drop Neil a line - Nelly9000 - he has a good electrical chap who rewired his car. I need to get around to getting my headlights sorted as the relays get too hot for my liking. Neil's in Southampton.

Pete

Edited by peteyg

Well I must admit I've just left them up for the moment but I've just ordered a new fusebox (for blade types) and a relay housing.

I'm going to extend the wires from the glove box area into the bonnet compartment and completely rewire the old fuseboxes as their connections are so dodgy.

For instance, I'll lose the windscreen wipers and then with a wiggle I'll lose ignition, or indicators. Really needs sorting!

Generally, all the unfathomable electrical faults on a Lotus are due to a duff earth somewhere. This results in the current going to ground through whatever other bits are common...hence the chattering relays or washers coming on when the radiator fans start up.It's a matter of finding the duff earth...which, since the diagrams don't show the physical layout of the earth wiring and how it is connected together, can be very frustrating. I had a washer failure...every time I pressed the tit nothing happened, but I could hear a relay operating and there was a nice black earth wire on the return side of the pump motor. So I changed the washer bottle and pump....no better. In the end, it turned out that the relay I could hear working was nothing to do with the washers, but was operating owing to a spurious earth return; the correct earth should have been provided by another earth lead, daisy chained to the lead going to the washers!!