free hit
counters
how many here are bikers - Page 4 - Bike Banter - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
troy21

how many here are bikers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I currently have two bikes. A 2006 Blackbird I've had since new, and a 1989 VFR400R I've owned for about 6 years. 

This is my third Blackie, so I must like 'em. I also had three Varaderos, but the last one was fuel injected, naff, and put me off. Get a 2003, or earlier, people.

Had; Honda C100, C90, CB125S, RD200DX, CB125T, CB750FB, NS400R, VFR750FG, VFR750FJ, Transalp XL600V, Africa Twin, CBR1000F, '96 Fireblade, VFR400R, 3 Blackbirds (Titanium, then blue, then grey), 3 Varaderos (Orange, then blue, then silver), Suzuki Hayabusa,  Yamaha FJR1300.

post-2504-0-43125300-1401361941.jpg

Current menagerie;
Kawasaki Z1000SX 2017 (Thinking man's sports tourer)

BMW X3 35D M Sport 2015 (Thinking man's chelsea tractor)

Toyota Hilux Invincible 2007 (Thinking man's mud plugger)

Lotus Esprit V8 1996 (Thinking man's thinking destroyer)

GPZ900R, yep - the Top Gun bike ha ha. Had it for ever :)

My next-up resto.

Massive fan of the GPZ900R. Never ridden on sadly but it was the bike that got me into bikes.

Hi all

I have a   1989 VFR 400

2005 Buell Firebolt 1200

1959 ariel leader     

I ride the Buell as much as I can, Honda being striped cleaned and rebuilt

and the ariel  is unrestored and very original and lovely

condition.  

I checked the valve clearances on my VFR400 about 6 years ago and I can still remember the bruises on my hands and fingers. Dunno if its pc to say it but the Japanese must have small hands?

Current menagerie;
Kawasaki Z1000SX 2017 (Thinking man's sports tourer)

BMW X3 35D M Sport 2015 (Thinking man's chelsea tractor)

Toyota Hilux Invincible 2007 (Thinking man's mud plugger)

Lotus Esprit V8 1996 (Thinking man's thinking destroyer)

There is something basic and honest about those Gpz 900's that i like. It was a true superbike in it's day, compeeting with for example FJ1100. Nice designed bike (the Gpz).

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Hi all,

I've got a Honda Fireblade 929RRY for when I want to go fast, an NS/RGV500 two stoke crazy track / road bike for when I want to go on the track or go really fast, a Honda Dullville for commuting, a Honda NS125F I'm restoring (my first bike was one of these) with a Malossi 180 barrel and race pipe, and NSR wheels and brakes, and just about legal race tyres.

Also just got a suzuki GSF400 that a girl I work with gave me!

Does my Noddy bike count, it's a 1949 Velocette Le complete with original hand start and hand gear change, huge difference from my S3 Esprit but I am sure that when the restoration is complete it will be fun

I am in the process of buying parts to rebuild my 2011 Bonneville after being wiped out by (of all things) a cyclist. He did a u- turn just as I was passing at around 50mph. Insurer sold the bike back to me without an insurance marker.

I would be interested in any thoughts as to what I should do re personal injury claim, I am not looking to do the no win/ no fee thing but the personal injury cover I had with my policy isn't pursuing a claim against the cyclist as , in their words, they don't expect a cyclist to have insurance cover. To date I have been off work for 7 weeks with a broken shoulder and have been told by the Consultant to expect to have around 20-30% permanent loss of mobility in my right arm and I am still not out of the woods in respect of needing a shoulder replacement as the bone can die as a result of blood starvation and it can take that long for it to show.

The legal/medical side of my policy have only paid out £50 for a night in hospital and despite the Police and witnesses stating the cyclist was to blame they are totally disinterested unless they receive proof that he has appropriate cover, a really frustrating situation when you hear of people taking out claims of dubious injuries for the most minor of bumps!!!

In Denmark, we have an orfanisation, that covers all damages that a bicyclist like him you descibed would do to others. In other Words, they pay for the uninsured,. and afterwards claim from himself. This is obligatory for all insurancecompanies to do. Many years ago I was driving on my moped, and was hit by another moped, WHO was not old enough and also therefore not insured, and it wasn't his moped. My moped and myself was covered by that stateregulated Insurance.

So, try to ask around if this is the case for Scotland as well.

I really hope you will have it all sorted.

All the best,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Blimey, this is one heck of a thread. like a bit of variety in the garage 2 or 4 wheels, currently;

'03 KTM Adventure 950

'85 Vespa PX200E

'70 Vespa Rally 180

'64 Lambretta TV 175

• Like 1

Bike riders?

Ok, here we go, if I can remember:-

1: Cyclemaster (bicycle with 32 CC engine in the back wheel), owned it at age 9.

2: BSA C12 250 single, owned at age 14.

3: Suzuki T250J Hustler, age 21 to 28 approx, rode all year round as only transport. Covered approx 37,000 miles.

4: Matchless G80S 500 single, age 25 to 35, same use as above. 25,000 miles year round.

5:BSA 650 Lightening (can't remember model).

6:BSA Bantam (175).

7:BMW R100 RT.

8:Honda Dream (175) current  day to day transport when in Thailand.

May have missed one or two out..

Edited by macey

I passed my bike test at the ripe old age of 34 as my loan for the VX i had at the time was paid off and myself and a few mates in a similar position decided to pass our test before it became Mod1, mod 2 etc.

I then went out and bought a Buell Lightning Super TT.....which i'm sure you'll all agree is the perfect first bike !  

IMAG0081Medium-1.jpg

Had that for a couple of years, sold it for a profit and bought a Triumph Street Triple R which is (rather unsurprisingly) simply much better in every single way :D    Now had that for three years and love it to bits.....can't think  of anything to replace it. 

I know my positioning is shite in this pic but i'm scared of heights and i wanted to keep away from the edge ;)

applecross_1_zpsa31222d6.jpg

82f582bc3cb8fd37f216a5b7a4f558dd_zpsb073

12058db39debb33682aa8b346b85760a_zpsb727

Edited by LazyDonkey

I consider my relationship with motorcycles to be very much like one would have with an ex wife...... now, many years down the line, I wish we'd never met!!

It all started in the late 80's/early 90's racing 250's at club level

aintree2_zps9024a906.jpg

Reasonably successful, but youthful bravery and a blunt ended limit to my ability resulted in too many of these

knee_zpscac82ea1.jpg

A brief spell on 600's and 750's and my contribution to the world of circuit racing was over by the mid 90's, so it was a bit of road riding and track days thereafter.

duketwins003.jpg

Then I discovered European track days!!

CNV00022.jpg

cartegena1ws9.jpg

Then in 2006, it all came to an abrupt end

cartegenaouch.jpg

So nowadays I'm mostly found during the summer months bombing around on my very own piece of American iron

IMG_2497.jpg

Although a couple of months ago, a client of mine persuaded my to have a dabble back on track.......8 years and 4 stone on, shit got quicker........ and I got slower...... I may do some more next year!!

DanOulton999_zps1700c59a.jpg

Aaaaanyway, motorcycles are responsible for ending a promising football career at 20 and providing me with an almost permanent limp, but by thunder I've got some memories.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Well as youd guuess, I have the coolest bike in Scotland, super silent, super efficient and super slow.

1948 Velocette Le, water cooled, shaft drive and slow as ferk with a top speed of about 50 MPH, currently under restoration.

• Like 1

Sorry, I have to admit this is mine!

Don't apologise, strength in numbers.

Coincidentally,  S2 Esprit I'm hoping to get in the coming weeks is white too, and I'm half Greek.

Have had this for maybe 12 years.

post-18637-0-78236600-1425684279.jpg

post-18637-0-29213700-1425684350.jpg

Unfortunately, I will never ride a bike again after my stroke. Personal decision. Don't want to go through that again on only two wheels surrounded by traffic. :no

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Hmmm... Started my Laverda a few days ago. What a beautifull noise music. Loud and clear. A big fat unmistakable RRROOAARRRR. A neighbour couple walked by, and they looked scared into the garage with the roaring Laverda ;)

After this, I find myself scouting out the Windows for sunny afternoons, while having strange movements in my hands and feet.

My wife knows, that it's that time of year Again where I am never home on good sunny days, so she goes on vacation for a few weeks. Can't blame her, really   ;)

Kind regards,

Jacques.

post-1034-0-00828500-1425712830.jpg

Just sold my bike, a ducati monster 1100 evo.

Had all sorts of bikes, over forty yrs of riding.

Ridden around Australia twice, across the US, thru italy, the phillipines, vietnam, india, kashmir, pakistan and up to afghanistan. A couple of decent ironbutt rides, try 8000 klm in 4 days.

Only had a few serious crashes, resulting in a total knee replacement last year, 3 kg of stainless steel and titanium tends to make you rethink your daily ride.

Daily drive is now a nice little 6L v8, and the lotus eleven (replica) for weekends.

I will,return to the fold, but get all my points back on my licence in about three years, oops. Might be bike time again then.

Picked up my latest toy today and it's mega! To me it feels like a two wheel Lotus which has got to be the best I could hope for.

post-4788-0-17759600-1433018230.jpg

• Like 1

I'll get around to it at some point.