free hit
counters
Distributor Advance Capsule, Timing etc... - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jdfish

Distributor Advance Capsule, Timing etc...

After a full engine rebuild (including carbs, turbo, new liners & pistons, bearings) I'm having some difficulty getting the timing sorted on my 85 Turbo Esprit.

The car runs well but does not see full boost (maybe .45 bar) and in spite of running 17degrees of static advance it still feels more sluggish than before the rebuild.

Both i and my mechanic have balanced the carbs and I now suspect that the DAC solenoid(s) may not be working.

I can't find any reference to testing the solenoids in my CD manual so I'm wondering if anyone out there in Lotus Land has some experience with this.

Cheers,

Dan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I hate to ask the obvious question, but are you sure it's not a wastegate issue?

I suppose it could be the wastegate ....there was a crack in the manifod where the plunger seated but I had that welded up.

May be worth checking out the state of things down there.

After a full engine rebuild (including carbs, turbo, new liners & pistons, bearings) I'm having some difficulty getting the timing sorted on my 85 Turbo Esprit.

The car runs well but does not see full boost (maybe .45 bar) and in spite of running 17degrees of static advance it still feels more sluggish than before the rebuild.

Both i and my mechanic have balanced the carbs and I now suspect that the DAC solenoid(s) may not be working.

I can't find any reference to testing the solenoids in my CD manual so I'm wondering if anyone out there in Lotus Land has some experience with this.

Cheers,

Dan

With the DAC it's a case of a small vac pump with pressure gauge (Mighti vac or similar) and checking that the capsule starts to move at the right pressure and reaches full movement at the right pressure. The DAC has the spec embossed on its body. It states, initial pressure, advance and full pressure all as one long string of characters.

I suppose it could be the wastegate ....there was a crack in the manifod where the plunger seated but I had that welded up.

May be worth checking out the state of things down there.

If you had an exhaust leak around the plunger it could be the cause, it's certainly the most obvious place I'd start looking. If you have enough revs to get up to 3-4k RPM, you shouldn't have a problem with boost regardless of timing or fuel delivery, they are totally separate (not that I'm an expert).

Stock boost is .55bar/8psi.