free hit
counters
suspension bushes - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

im looking to replace my rear suspension bushes on my esprit se can anyone suggest who is selling the rear kit at a fair price

cheers martin

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I used the Poly bushes which were in two parts. Much easier to replace and have not given any problems. The one piece bushes can be a real nightmare to fit and you need to be careful with the alloy hub carrier which can break if you exert too much pressure. Think they came from SJs but could have been Lotusbits or PNM

I'm not so sure that split suspension bushes are advisable on the Esprit. The standard bushes (and Lotus' own polybushes) are designed to provide movement by the twisting of the elastomer when subjected to rotation of the arm and the bushes are bonded accordingly. If you use a split bush then you no longer have that bonding and the bush / arm can rotate rather than twist the elastomer.

I fitted the split bushes in some places and have regretted it. It's an easy fix but I would put the effort in for the one piece bushes and plan on changing the splits soon.

Trevor.

Ok you may be happy but if I asked you both which bushes you think are the BEST, which would you say? I don't remember any manufacter fitting split bushes in control arms of performance cars.

Trevor.

Lotus changed the front lower wishbone forward pivot bushing to a split tapered bushing when they changed to the AP Racing calipers on the V8. There is a dual tapered seat inside the wishbone tube to provide more material in a direction normal to the metal during deflection, due to the greater braking force pulling back on the wishbones.

I'm making this change to my 89SE using the later split V8 bushings, since I have even larger brakes, and am getting some bushing destroying toe out during heavy braking.

In the interest of safety.

Those that fitted the PUK bushes to the front upper wishbone arms, check they're still secure.

The PUK ones do not have a bonded outer component and that means the upper wishbone arms are free to slide back and forth. Mine were about 1/2 way to falling off and only held in place by a heavily buckled snubber washer - a strong deflection or braking could have ripped the arm free. Interestingly 2 MOTs and services failed to recognise this...

Those parts were removed and binned, replaced by Lotus' own polybush which has a bonded inner and outer shroud and must be pressed into the upper wishbone arms with only slightly more force than just finger and thumb !

If I were doing the car again I would use Lotus only parts and know they have been correctly engineered and tested for the vehicle.

FYI, here's the V8 parts manual page showing the split bushings, and a photo of what I am doing.

conical%2520suspension%2520bushings.JPG

I'm making a metal insert to press into the lower wishbone to provide the dual conical taper to properly support the bushings.

IMG_2034.JPG

I think if you go from the bonded bushes to 2 part bushes you will need to alter the spring and damper rates to compensate.

If you remove the rear spring damper assembly with the bushes still tight the suspension only deflects a little bit (15mm ish) with an 80kg weight pulling up or down on the hub. This surprised me, I suspected i had something seized but the only bolt that is seized is the lower hub bolt.

Apparently from a racing point of view it is probably better to do all the support and damping with the spring and damper rather that relying on the twist of bushes.

I wonder if this was intentional or just incidental in making the car more comfortable and road friendly?

I had a similar change when i changed from rotoflex couplings to cv joints on a 60's elan. the handling changed completely and was more ready to drift/snake the back end. That car does have particularly soft springs though

I would guess going from worn out bonded bushes to 2 part bushes would still be an improvement and not be noticed as a bad thing on a road car.

Old Jags (xjs and before) have a split bush on the front A frames. poly bushes change the handling dramatically for the better on them.

Probably all comes down to personal choice.

Edited by lotusesprit1

Lotus did intentionally make the pivots of the lower wishbone and the rear links on different axes, and they do rely on the deflection of the rubber. Replace those with plastic bushings and the suspension wouldn't budge.

I have JRZ Race double adjustable shocks with remote reservoirs, and Eibach 2.5" springs, so everything goes out the window anyways... Though I did choose to buy the Lotus rubber bushings to replace my 23 year old originals. But hopefully the new split conical front bushings will prevent my huge brakes from shredding those bushings in one day like the original cylindrical bushings...

Due to the design of my rear shocks, I think I will also end up designing "pillow ball" spherical bearing top mounts for my rear shocks. Normal shock rod bushings can't stand up to the forces there.

Sorry to bump an old thread.

What are the best bushes to use for the front suspension? How have people found the ones they chose, now that they have a few miles on them?