free hit
counters
Evans Waterless Cooling - Page 4 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
markjonesx

Evans Waterless Cooling

12 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

From what I understand the water pump isn't up to the job. 

Is it different to later pumps then, I never had any cooling problems with my S3s or Stevens' cars, if it is different can a later pump not be fitted? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for your responses.

@jonwat yes, as I understand it, the later cars, particularly the Esprit Turbo required significant changes to the 912 engine. One of which was improving the water pump and its impellor. Enlarging the cavity in which it operates I believe. The S1 water pump has a particularly shallow impellor.

@Buddsy In the end I had to obtain a reconditioned pump from a supplier as a new one has been on back order for ages. The Lotus pump is £400+ and the aftermarket pump is £230+ from SJ. I too have heard that some of them had failed, I assume the reconditioned items.

Bill Galbraith in Florida informs he that he has used Evans in his S2 for about 2 years without issue.

Reading this forum http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/evans-coolant-291713/ I'm unsure if running something like Evans waterless fluid means that the engine cylinder head etc runs hotter? And also that a lack of pressure could effect the performance of the water pump and create cavitation etc.

I'll keep my options open for now and consider it before I fill this new build. My only concern being if I have problems which mean refilling the system etc until I get the car running fine.

Regards,

David.

22 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Reading this forum http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/evans-coolant-291713/ I'm unsure if running something like Evans waterless fluid means that the engine cylinder head etc runs hotter? And also that a lack of pressure could effect the performance of the water pump and create cavitation etc.

Ive heard talk of head running hotter but because the evans is more efficient at cooling I dont believe its true. The engine temp is controlled by the thermostat isnt it? So if the temp gets over 90 the fans come on.

Evans it doesnt need to pressurise to stop it from boiling as the boiling temp is 180 deg C

Cavitation is a product of air pockets which come from air in the water I think?

any way...

"Evans coolants have a much lower vapour pressure compared with water-based coolants, which means they are far less prone to cavitation or causing cavitation-erosion.

In a John Deere cavitation test, now adopted by the SAE, Evans reduced liner pitting by 90% in comparison to John Deere’s own heavy duty water based coolant"

Link

People often seem so worried by their cars over heating I think they go too far the other way. Cars need to be at an optimum temp. Fitting a manual operated fan can make the engine too cold. This seems to be more common with the Elite/ Eclat/Excel owners for some reason?

buddsy

• Like 1

Thanks @Buddsy I too have been considering a manual override of the electric fans, each fan on a separate relay circuit to prevent 100% failure. As you say, let the thermostatic switch make that decision. And if that fails the gauge in the instrumentation will let you know.

I live on the edge of the North York Moors, and hate traffic, so in most circumstances I will not be in heavy traffic regularly. 

Old cars dont like to be sat in slow moving traffic I know but I think us Lotus owners can be so worried by something being broken we can assume the worst before all else.

I always thought the problem with the cooling on the earlier cars was the rad was quite small. I still think if its in good order with maybe the addition of modern designed high flow fans it should help.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/cooling/electric-radiator-fans/tripac-radiator-fans

buddsy

Yes, I run classics and have modern 3-core radiators fitted without after market electric fan assistance and they work great. I rarely get stuck in traffic though.

Personally I think alloy radiators are overkill in most situations, and I have chosen not to go down that route. I can easily re-fit one if I have problems with the Esprit in the future. The S1 radiator is ridiculously small. Long, but narrow in depth. My pals aftermarket radiator fitted years back is deeper front to back by about a 1/3 more.

I've run my 912 engined elite for 4 years with Evans waterless coolant after a full engine rebuild and it runs just fine. The benefit of absence of pressure in the cooling system shouldn't be underestimated particularly where you have long and complicated pipe runs as the hose material and joints aren't pressure stressed. Interesting comments about the water pump - is it possible to fit a late pump with larger impeller to an earlier 912 engine? And does this later pump have the weep hole problem?

richard

No or limited pressure because its boiling point is so high?

2 hours ago, PhilW said:

No or limited pressure because its boiling point is so high?

Exactly - it boils at 180c I believe.