free hit
counters
Evans Waterless Cooling - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Evans Waterless Cooling

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I asked Evans about the findings above "Thank you for your enquiry, I understand that forum’s can be a good source for information and keeping in touch with fellow club members but I am sure you wi

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/53963-evans-waterless-cooling/

I took the time to speak to Evans yesterday about the flammability issues, here's their response.  

Looks interesting. COnsidering that virtually all Lotus engines are in part aluminum it wouldn't be a bad idea to use this product. WOuld like hear from someone with firsthand experience though.

And it is expensive.

I think the body in grey primer is an Elan as well

Kyle Kaulback

Looks like a good product but the need to completely flush the system will be an expensive exercise. If the car was fitted with this product from new then it would be its best value but for our old cars sadly too pricey and overkill considering a good antifreeze mix will do perfectly good job. The exception of course would be a complete restoration such as Changes has done then putting this in would make sense to me.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Looks like a good product but the need to completely flush the system will be an expensive exercise. If the car was fitted with this product from new then it would be its best value but for our old cars sadly too pricey and overkill considering a good antifreeze mix will do perfectly good job. The exception of course would be a complete restoration such as Changes has done then putting this in would make sense to me.

Trevor.

I actually use this in my truck and love it. It runs cooler in the summer time when we get 100 to 110 deg F. I had lots of corrosion issues! The money spent on the flush is NOT as expensive as the corrosion repair that accumulates over time especially if you follow proper replacement intervals of every couple of years. Besides your allowed 2 to 3% of old coolant or water in the system when replacing with the Evans product

At least that is my opinion...

If the only thing constant is change, then why do we resist change the most?

After much thought I am about to buy this from merlin motorsport. I think any think so there is no water in my cooling system should be a good thing. Esp when I saw the state of my water pump and cooling system.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Its clearly a proven product (despite the commercial promotion!) A couple of questions? Whats the base? Are the molecules smaller than water/antifreeze? (Whiich could lbe harder to seal). Can you still use 'Radweld' type products? Opinion may be divided, but they have got me out of a hole on more than one occasion...

It's marketed as the only product on the market, but the main chemical has been used as engine coolant in certain applications for quite some time. Perhaps it's a bit cheaper to buy in bulk (it not just one 5l f flush and one 5l of coolant for an Esprit).

You are correct. But they have made a product that does not blend with water and safe for a long time. There are additives that work "like" this that you mix with water and is used on race tracks where cooland Isn't allowed. Evans works. It's simple. Budsey is buying from Merlin. Give them a shout if you have any questions.

If the only thing constant is change, then why do we resist change the most?

I wondered about this when refilling the cooling system but wasnt sure of what the benefits would be given the price outlay. If it runs cooler for instance might that affect boost.

The product should not affect operating temperature. That is controlled by the spec of the car itself. In older cars there is a mechanical valve that opens and closes at a specific temperature to keep it from getting too hot. In modern cars the thermostat is electronically controlled.

THe only situation where this product would make the car run at a lower temperature is if the car was "over cooled" , meaning that there was too much radiator and the car was never allowed to get up to operating temperature.

Water is used as a coolant because it has the ability to carry a lot of heat and transfer it easily to other materials. The problems with water are the corrosive effects and the boiling point is relatively low (this is discussed in the video and is why cooling systems are pressurized - the pressurization elevates the boiling point). Other materials like the one in this product have even better heat transfer properties, but are perhaps not readily available like water. I am sure the availablity and processing cost of whatever the material in this product are more expensive than water and ethylene glycol.

THe Ethylene Glycol (and propylene glycol in some antifreezes) also affects the boiling and freezing point (why it is called antifreeze) but are toxic to ingest (ethylene much moreso than propylene) and do not mitigate the corrosive effects of water.

Kyle Kaulback

Don't forget the maintenance requirement of the 900 series engine.....new cambelt every 2 years.....! Changing the cambelt requires draining the coolant to get the hoses off and the cambelt on. So, however careful you are to drain the Wundafluid into a suitable receptacle, you'll lose a bit every time.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Yes, put it back in again.....Hmmmm....I've never managed to do the job without spilling some, no matter how hard I've tried to drain the system. Once the hoses come off, always seem to get a puddle...no problem with water/antifreeze, but this stuff is expensive.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I remember this stuff needing a special water pump (or something to that nature) as it was more viscous than normal antifreeze solution.

One thing you should research is the use of distilled vs mineral water. The last bit of information I found was that distilled tended to "go back to normal" by stripping the metal off aluminum, hence mineral (not tap) was what was recommended to mix with antifreeze. You could do the next best thing by purchasing the pre-mix solutions.

I tend to stick with the manufactures finding as they have the bankroll to test this stuff thoroughly. I currently use Inugel from Motul but would be just as happy to use what Honda or Toyota put in their all aluminum motors.

Best,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

In regards to scavenging the leftover water from the cooling system before use, they have a prep fluid that does that.

In regards to manufacturers specs for coolant, I definitely agree the desire to stick with manufacturer sped, but there are several points to consider. First, manufacturers are not taking into account that you may want to keep you vehicle for a much longer period than standard as a collector (like myself might). Second, manufacturers are very cognizant of cost and often choose parts and materials because the $1.00 they save per vehicle will save the company millions. Third there is a technology lag between development and use (look how long it took to make synthetic oil standard on all vehicles - it still hasn't). ANd finally some technology simply was around at the time of development of older vehicles. Manufacturers in the old days may very well have preferred this product if available.

I may invest in some next time I decide to change coolant and if I like it I may slowly switch over.

Kyle Kaulback

It seems like an interesting solution (no pun intended). Fairly sure on Wheeler Dealer's Edd left the prep fluid for nearly a week.

It is expensive, no question although as a lifetime fluid it probably works out cheaper in the long run.

Guess you could drain it and replace with normal if you ever sold the car too!

Not to rain on the parade, but here's a competitors (an anti-corrosion additive product) mud slinging analysis . Worth further investigation about higher head temps, etc.to gain the total picture. YMMV

http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm

I'm using distilled water with Redline Water Wetter.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I'm sure I've read distilled water is worse as it wants minerals as it lacks them so corrodes metal to obtain them? No?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

If wikipedia is to be trusted (can it really be?) then apparently the minerals in the water are a cause of corrosion. Therefore distilled water would be preferably.

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

OK, makes sense really :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.