free hit
counters
Lotus Esprit GT3 Rejuvination - a bit of nip and tuck & botox - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
arbell9

Lotus Esprit GT3 Rejuvination - a bit of nip and tuck & botox

Hi all,

i am rejuvinating my GT3 due to lacquer failure on several parts of the body including right on the bonnet (quite a bad bit), numerous chips, faint cracks etc across the body work as a whole, ropy door seals, corroded door trim (the black metal strip), Badly worn seat bolsters, crappy faded carpet in the rear quarter windows. From a distance everyone says what a lovely car, up close and personal and you see 12 years of wear and tear.

Its not going to be a straight forward respray in lotus racing green, I am having something different, special done, an idea I have had for the car for a long time but it will still be LRG but with a twist.

GT3refurb.jpg

GT3refurb2.jpg

GT3refurb3.jpg

I was going to get move on from the car but since getting the fuel smell fixed and driving it I love it again. What I am spending isnt a lot if I compare to what I would spend to get a mint condition newer vehicle. Its actually saving me money, and I know whats what with the mechanics of this car too.

When I get some more shots next week I will add to this thread.

Alex

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Best of the Esprit's in my opinion. Is that green or black?

Trevot

Bloody hell Alex! If that one's looking tired, what hope has my old lady got?

Here's an update on progress.

The seats at the upholsterers is going slow as they are waiting for hides to be dyed in Anthracite. I should know next monday a better ETA on when the seats will be done.

Now for the paint job. Good progress this week, the body and panels have been sprayed green and its marking up time for the extras.

GT3refurb4.jpg

GT3refurb5.jpg

GT3refurb6.jpg

GT3refurb7.jpg

GT3refurb8.jpg

GT3refurb9.jpg

GT3refurb10.jpg

GT3refurb11.jpg

The rear deck still has to be painted and marked up yet and the spolier is away getting made up to look a bit special. I will be popping in next tues to see progress.

Its looking good so far.

BRG, nice. Look forward to seeing it at some point. Any idea when it will be finished?

Trevor.

I will show you where I have taken my styling cues from for the new paint job. I did a fair bit of image searching of various lotus cars with stripes to see what had been done and what I might like.

These 1st two images are what struck as looking good. 1st is the 2006 Exige GT3 and the second is an Elise with a similar broad yellow stripe , thick highlight stripe combo. This is where I have taken my esprit and its from these that I took most inspiration.

2006-lotus-exige-gt3-fa-1920x1440-copy.jpg

2006-lotus-exige-gt3-f-1920x1440-copy.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Next I looked at the current crop of cars , namely the Evora Cup GT and new Exige Cup GT and have drawn some inspiration from these. I haven't yet shown this in the work on my car yet and will do when its done, this paint work hasnt started yet!

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

lotus-exige-s-v6-cup-road-car-now-taking-orders-5451812-2.jpg

There are some similarities to the Lotus F1 Racing LR8 from 2010. (has my son Calum stood next to it at the Lotus Festival Snetterton)

PICT2782.jpg

They use the broad yellow stripe with hightlight stripes.

and its true that the current Caterham F1 team have kept the yellow white stripe combo.

caterhamCT01studio_01.jpg

More updates as the process continues.

A shot of the tail on my GT3 from this morning.

B9F3CB35-0C19-4907-9E89-C7E58F984BD7-2082-000002D4BEBE05CC.jpg

Nice Alex. That is going to look mighty good

:hrhr: Let's play 'spot the idiot'. You whistle, I'll point.

I saw the first pics and thought, 'Wonder why he is going with thin blue stripes on the green?' :wallbash: