free hit
counters
Lotus Esprit GT3 Rejuvination - a bit of nip and tuck & botox - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
arbell9

Lotus Esprit GT3 Rejuvination - a bit of nip and tuck & botox

I am putting my anthracite coloured wheels back on for now. They were on the car yesterday and it looked good with them, however I am open to changing them to bigger wheels in the style of the novas, but I will have to get different ones as they are no longer available. I do wonder if white wheels in the style of the lotus mag wheels would work. I'm open minded on this. What do other folk think?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice work Alex, lovin the stripes.

As for wheels if you want Nova style wheels I know Image do a spilt rim version which you can spec with different offsets to fit the arches perfectly. I think it needs bigger wheels to carry off the paint scheme, painted black.

Another update folks, the flattening and polishing for the main body was completed and smaller bits of trim done and added back to the car. He has still to start the rear deck and he is pick out minor blemishes that need fixing and finishing those.

This is all being done by Kevin at the Christopher Neill body shop. Kev is really into this paint job and is a stickler for detail wanting to make sure its right.

GT3refurb12.jpg

GT3refurb14.jpg

GT3refurb15.jpg

GT3refurb18.jpg

GT3refurb16.jpg

GT3refurb17.jpg

The pictures are taken with the iphone so not top draw as it struggles with the heavy bright outside light coming towards the camera

I've been quoted as not much change out of $10,000 for a full repaint in just Calypso Red.

Car's looking great. :thumbsup:

Yep, its pretty much the whole nine yards. I think it fits well as its a 2.0 Esprit. Didn't cost me the earth either, only £315 plus VAT and registration fee.

I like it, the overall effect is very modern, though I agree with Adrian that it now needs some dramatic wheels and brake hardware to complete the look.

17_Inch_Dotz_Touge_Black_Yellow_Alloy_Wheels__PI_887_134_132_958_958_464.jpg

Not necessarily these as I think they are possibly chavved-up Clio build quality, but you get the idea

I must say that I find that black (or at least really dark) wheels remind me a little too much of the 'steelies' many people (over here) use when installing winter tires. I much prefer the look of a lighter wheel, and the contrast it allows between the tire and the coachwork.

Alex, do you need to undo the LH front calliper to bleed the system ??

High point Alex, air needs to escape. Low point and fluid will just run out.

When is your car ready, I want to pop round to have a look?

David

You are right dave I was getting draining and bleeding mixed up in my brain.

Gunter, the calipers can be either way up to achieve bleeding.

DSC02437.jpg

Dave, when the car is done it will be good to meet up and show it off. I will give you a call close to the time its finished.

all the pistons there have the same size ??

post-2255-0-25693500-1352143462.jpg

No they are not all the same: taken from http://www.hispecbra...o.uk/M6330.html

Specification:

Disc Width: 10mm up to 35mm

Piston Size: 3x 31.2mm & 2 x 38.6mm

Piston Material: Hard anodised billet aluminium

Colour: Black, Blue, Gold, Silver, Red

Body Material: 6082T6 billet aluminium

Pad Swept Area: 127.5 x 47 x 12mm

Weight Approx: 2400g

Hydrolic Thread: M10x1.0

Radial Mounting: 154mm

so you now that there is a momentum on the pad, a momentum that tries to lean it on braking, as for the distance between surface and point of location within the calliper

-that's why those special 'high engineerd' callipers have different size pistions

-but you need to fit them in the right direction on your car ..so the bleed nipple option makes no sense ??

the only way I could see is, if the calliper is meant to fit on rear and also optional on front of a brake disc, so that the orientation of turn on the disc is allways right, but the bleed-nipple is allways pointing on top

Edited by Günter

the direction of rotation is so the rotor sweeps from the smaller piston to the larger. And then the other part of the orientation is driven by the port location for the brake line from the master, the mounting lugs or radial mounts, and by the bleed nipples. Some Brembo and AP calipers have a bridge pipe, which is re-movable, and you can switch its location for different orientation. And some calipers have an internal passage with o-rings to seal. So those might have bleed ports at top and bottom.

My Brembo calipers can be mounted in various positions, for instance a front left trailing caliper can be mounted in the front left leading position if the bridge pipe and the nipples are switched. Or it could possibly be moved to the Left rear, but it cannot be mounted on the right side of the car in any position because of the piston diameters.

Alex's above is mounted correctly, it just has dual nipples instead of an external bridge pipe.

Travis, I know ..i know -that why the question is: are those callipers designed in 'mirror symetric' orientation, as if you fit the calliper actually shown in the picture on the other side of the car -you could feed & bleed it by locating the pipe & bleed point ..but what does it with the pistons, you see what I mean

as on the other picture (page 2) there was only this bleed nipple to see, there I was woundering what type of calliper it is -and to which side it belongs