free hit
counters
Lotus Esprit GT3 Rejuvination - a bit of nip and tuck & botox - Page 4 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
arbell9

Lotus Esprit GT3 Rejuvination - a bit of nip and tuck & botox

well done !

..the only points I would have:

ride height looks so lifted up with the original (nice colored) GT3 wheels, and the body with all those decals on rear and the dominant wing on the back, this looks wide -whereas the track on both ends of the car looks small ..so would fit suitable spacers all around to the hubs & set-up the ride height a little more on a 'sportive' lower style with an matching geo-refinement.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It would look better an inch lower, but speed humps become an issue, would bigger wheels be the answer?

Oh and this is how she looked the 1st day I brought her home.

PICT0872.jpg

From that to this, can you spot some of the smaller differences?

LotusEspritGT3-1-11.jpg

keep your original wheels, as it is not only the original GT3 part for your car, moreover even the color-style matches what we (or I ) expect to see from an British racer ..this kind of Bently look.. 'green with grey' style. This is fantastic and the union-jack is the perfect detail on top!

..so just some spacers ..that's at least a good compromise between daily use & styles

(eventually you will need stiffer springs, as for the change of load with a wider *track* to *spring-mounts* ratio.)

Looks fantastic Alex. Might get some of the Lotus roundels for the petrol flaps myself. The GT3 script remade in a lighter colour also works really well. Some dark coloured cars had them like that from the factory, some not oddly.

Good Job! Its not really to my taste but there's no doubting you done a great job. Always good to see an Esprit being loved and treated to the best!

Buddsy :thumbsup:

Loving it, especially since I was a Jim Clark Esprit owner.

The car is begging for bigger wheels.  Something like the Novas would do the trick.  I would be really tempted to put something with yellow centers and polished lips on it, but that's the Jim Clark in me coming out.  Even the existing S4 wheels with yellow spokes and polished lips,taller rubber, and modest spacers would make them appear much bigger and balance the car.

I am also feeling like the graphics on the side should either be removed or made in matching yellow. 

And the Lotus on the wing seems like it would be better turned 180deg like the race cars.

All just my personal preference -- the car looks great as is.

Edited by lotusespritse

no, the *GT3 graphics* match the white from the UnionJack ! 

..and to much yellow would be just not so elegant as it is now ..so spacers I say, and some lowering

(but that's not practical as you said Alex)

I agree on the lotus orientation, I never specified it when it was first done, I dropped it back off today to get the spoiler redone due to the transfer glue reacting with the matte paint and so I will get them to reverse the orientation. The side decals match as Gunter says, it's more dramatic in white. One or two other blemishes are being delt with too that I found when cleaning it this weekend.

I have had to order a siphon so I can drain the washer bottle tank. It's properly bunged up with mould and so I need to strip it out and sterilise it and try and get the drivers side jet unclogged as it doesn't spurt. Should be straight forward if potentially a little messy.

Good opinions and comments by all :-)

Have you thought about using photoshop or something equivalent to try out different schemes?  I have done that with cars, and it's amazing how I was able to see how different paint schemes would look and how I could barely tell the difference between the final rendering and the actual car when the work was done.

simply undo the washer bottle, it will only driop a little as long as you not hold your finger on the pump outlet.

..use compressesd air to blow the whole washer system ..starting from the nozzles down in reverse.  the washer bottle simply needs a good clean with some stuf from the kitchen (and some vinegear as desinfection)

Final update really:

I got her back today after having the wing redone and one or two other minor blemishes sorted out. The orientation of the lotus is reversed and as I had originally intended it to be. Its been lacquered before apply the decals and then lacquered again, and then buffed. The finish is glass like and it means you dont get grime at the edges of the decals.

Overall I am very happy with it. I just need a couple of sunny days to take her out. She will get used in the winter but roll on spring. The pictures are a bit drab but were taken with the iphone in fading light.

LotusEsprtiGT3wingrefurb-1-2.jpg

LotusEsprtiGT3wingrefurb-1-3.jpg

LotusEsprtiGT3wingrefurb-1.jpg

like it Alex ..as I say -like it, with some more track on front and rear ..this design just means it needs to look more 'planted' to the ground if this is the right word, even with the factory rims

loving the look and the Union jacks on the wing are outstanding, now thinking about making some for the end plates on the 350 wing.

Love it mate, a real transformation, and can I join the "you need bigger wheels" camp?  Nova's if you can get a set or if you cant Image wheels do a spilt rim that is very Nova like then you could go for black centres with polished rims, NICE.

oh noo  ...don't put colored-tires on it ..it would just be tooo much of it 

..it still is not an fancy racer car with sponsors, it is meant as an stylish but elegant road going (and pub crawling and theater parking) private driver car   

-not a 'hot hatch' with as much attention as possible 

"..hows with some neon lights and digital bells on the horn ?" -see what I mean  ;)

If you really want a 18/19 combination (or even the S4s/V8 factory size 17&18 ) it would mean a full brake setup, to match the racer look and fill up the rims ...whereas the GT3 factory rims offer at least some tire sizes with a much bigger 'sectional hight' (so good for ride-comfort)  ..and if you manage to find the right track dimension by adapterplates/spacers you can still make it look like as if it never was meant anything different.  On the other hand -if you go for non standart rims there is maybe a need for spacers anyway -as for limited 'offsets' available

this one is easy, you can buy some 20mm ones from R&B -but as those guys are known to be 'slightly on the expensive side' you can also go for the ordinary 25mm ones new or already used (Made by *H&R*, for Esprit application -but with the Renault/Lancia 5x108mm circle) 

..if you use those 25mm ones on the rear of the car, it means you have 25mm to deal with for different offsets, and if you not like that much -simply machine off some *mm* from the rear-face and 2mm from the front-face of the spacer/adaptor ..to end again with 20mm ones or slightly less

..on the front-wheels you can only fit 10mm 'flat' plates (based on factory S4s/V8 17inch wheels with factory tire size and original offset) ..until the tire scratches on the bumper/valance inner shield while turning into the corners.  However, those 10mm plates are just enough to have at least some choice in different (aftermarket) wheels.

..to get those 10mm plates for relatively cheap money -go there for the Alfa/Lancia (or even Ford) cars with 5x108mm circle ..I've got a pair that was meant for a Lancia Kappa, with 5x108mm ..and all it needed was to machine the 12mm bold holes into 14mm ones ..and get rid of the step there in the hub centre, as it was at least with the right inner diameter for the hub, but the hub on the Esprit front is long enough to support a 10mm plate and the rim.  Those cheaper 10mm plates are on offer in Amazon for example from FK-tuning.. and in eBay and all over the internet. (same it is for the 25mm H&R ones)

You can even use used ones I guess ...

As all those parts are fabricated & sold over here with 'road approval' documents, (and the 'minor changes' I made do not influence the function that much I say)

.. the complete new setup on wheels & spacers is now officially registered for my car (so it means TÜV approved  within the vehicle documents) 

With your S4 you even do not have to worry about the odd 'wheelarch extension bolts' ..what is another positive point compared to my work !!

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Of course, you need to set up the suitable suspension geometry after you have mounted the wheel set back on !

That is as always with those mods 

-and keep in mind that the stiffness of your factory springs /dampers (who can be reused in this case) will stay unchanged

-what means on the other hand:

the length of the physical lever that is formed from the ground-point of the 'wheel contact to ground & suspension arm on chassis' ..compared to  'damper mount on suspension arm & suspension arm to chassis'   this is now slightly changed  ..it gives as logical result a softer more comfy ride and with the same weight of the car it will probably come down 1-2cm I say  (sat least on dynamic loads or cornering)

just some 'non specific' examples for internet-offers:

frond end

http://www.carparts-tuning.co.uk/en/Wheel-Spacers/Wheel-Spacers/Spacers-10-mm-System-A-fit-for-Lancia-Kappa-Typ-838.html  5/108 (flatted  so no machine work on the hub centre)   .. offers 5mm each side

..or:

http://www.carparts-tuning.co.uk/en/Wheel-Spacers/Wheel-Spacers/Spacers-20-mm-System-A-fit-for-Lancia-Kappa-Typ-838.html

this offers 10mm each side  ..with 5/108mm PDC, with right hub diameter [58mm] -but with centering

*if you find some from Ford/Alfa with 12mm bolts -machine the 12mm bolt holes to 14mm ones if those are to small and there you go ..a garage/machine-shop should offer this for you for some GBP (or even pence)  in the 'coffee-box'  !?

rear end

http://shop.lightning-tuning.de/Fahrwerkstechnik/H-R/Spurverbreiterungen/Lotus/Esprit-HA/RA/H-R-TRAK-Spurverbreiterungen-DRA-50-mm-pro-Achse::34707.html?XTCsid=u28eatdchan2rai558fm8a09q2  ..with 25mm each side, 5/108mm PDC, 60.1mm hub diameter -but a little too much money to invest ..those H&R ones are a high-priced brand, would guess you can get the "used" examples in eBay for less -so the link is just meant as technical information.

In any case -the original rear hub is to short to support anything more than 5mm additionally each side (the rim & a flat spacer, as for example those really small ones: http://www.ebay.de/itm/5mm-SCC-Distanzscheiben-Spurverbreiterungen-Lotus-Renault-5x108-NB-60-1-/251116925934?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item3a77bc33ee )   ..so you will have to go for the bigger ones with own centering there and separate screws. But as said, you can machine those 25mm one to different dimensions, as the inserts are not on the full 25mm length on those types

Edited by Günter