free hit
counters
CROSS GATE CABLE & SJ UPGRADE KIT - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
giorgio67

CROSS GATE CABLE & SJ UPGRADE KIT

Hi guys,

I'm reassembling the cross gate cable, I have a new one bought on ebay some time ago but I can't recognize if it's the longer or the more modern short version, anyway I'm using the SJ upgrade kit that comes with 2 stainless rod, long and short, a rose joint and a bush that to me seems the bush of the crank lever on chassis so nothing to do with the cross gate cable.

My question is, does anyone have some clear pics of the SJ kit installed on a S1 S2 car?

I have no more the original adapter and rod link for the end of the cross gate cable so I think I need to fit a threaded rod between the two SJ pieces?

Also does anyone can advise me of the measure of the cross gate cable, long or short type so I will be able to compare mine?

Thanks for your help guys.

Giorgio

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Mark,

just saw your pics thanks, but using just the long SJ rod is not sufficient on mine to reach the end of the cross gate cable, did you buy the S2 or S3 upgrade kit?

I know that the S3 kit has just a rod and it is much longer than the S2 type, also, did you use the bush that came with the SJ kit?

Thanks

Giorgio

Hi Mark, that's great many thanks but seeing your pics it seems that you have installed the SJ upgrade kit for the S3 car so just one long threaded rod directly into the cross gate cable end.

My kit is different, two pieces and one is not so long to be attached directly at the cable.

I will ask to Steve if there is somethng wrong in the parts I have received.

Giorgio

Ok guys,

still waiting an answer from Steve SJ about the kit, I have tried again to fit the kit but there is no way to doing it properlly.

Here some pics of the parts, the facts are;

if I fit the stiffening nut/rod (short SJ rod with the machined wrench regulation) the thread in the rod is too short, the end of the cable remain inside the rod

if I keep the end of the cable inside the rod I need a threaded bar to connect the short and long rod, where the rose joint is attached, but the thread is too short to have any setting, two o three turn and the short rod is disconnetted from the cable....

Please see the attached pics and tell me what you think.

Giorgio

post-3419-0-11067000-1351524390.jpg

post-3419-0-31319500-1351524420.jpg

post-3419-0-54360600-1351524463.jpg

post-3419-0-07937600-1351524492.jpg

post-3419-0-60255100-1351524524.jpg

post-3419-0-93934500-1351524554.jpg

Ok, problem solved, my cable is for the S3 cars and the SJ kit is for the early type of cable (long).

The right rod from SJ will cost me another 41 GBP including postage to me....a non sense price for a piece of threaded SS rod.

Giorgio

I bought the SJ gear change upgrade kit for my S2:

IMG_2301_zpshdhzruun.jpg

This is my gear linkage and cable:

IMG_0177_zpszojkjmig.jpg

IMG_0163_zpsgtsv7egh.jpg

What does the SJ upgrade kit replace exactly?

Edited by Freemason

The purpose of the kit is to replace the crappy joint on the far right end of the crossgate cable, (lower pic). It gets rid of the clevis and pin and replaces it with the rose joint. A good modification which Lotus should have done in the first place.

Not sure what the sleeve is for. I got one of those as well, didnt fit it anywhere.

On mine I also replaced the rocker arm pivot with a housed ball-bearing race and SJ re-worked the bell-crank which the above rose joint connects to, which added a bronze sleeve to eliminate play on the pivot bolt. 

I think the sleeve is a new bush for the bellcrank pivot. I've changed that on mine, as it wears and allows the bellcrank to wobble about and introduces lost motion....and lost motion is the Great Enemy! I hadn't come across an upgrade kit for the Citroen gearbox cars...my crossgate cable adjusters are solid corrosion, and were when I got the car all those years ago.... I rectified the clevis with a larger diameter pin and fitted a bush to the bellcrank where it fits through. A rose joint would definitely be better....something to think about as and when the clevis and bearing get sloppy.

Yes the sleeve could be for that. I guess it would mean reaming out the hole to fit it.

SJ did all that on mine, I tried to order a new bellcrank but they offered to refurb it instead. As well as fitting the bush they also replaced the peg which engages into the selector lever. They supplied 3 sizes of sleeve to fit over the new peg, The one which fitted best was the larger one. Great job.

On my linkage there is now absolutely no play whatever in the fore-aft or crossgate motion. I got rid of all the rubber in the linkage except for the one bush at the bottom of the lever itself.

The kit should come with assembly instructions for the price by the looks of it.

Sound like some good mods. Don't suppose you have any pics?

Sound like some good mods. Don't suppose you have any pics?

There are details of the IGUS bushes which Giorgio found, and a pic of my rocker lever mod (which made the biggest improvement for me) on this thread: http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/53573-gearlinkagetubes-bushes-upgrade/

I dont have any pics of the bellcrank, but there is nothing visually different, it was just refurbed.

No need for reaming...the bush simply presses out and the new one presses in. I used the new one to press the old one out, after which it was already fitted!!

No need for reaming...the bush simply presses out and the new one presses in. I used the new one to press the old one out, after which it was already fitted!!

Ah OK, I never noticed there was a bush in there originally.

Bell crank pivot? Do you have any pics, I have bought a few of these and always left the sleeve out as I never knew where it went.

No pics...but it goes inside the boss on the bellcrank where the pivot bolt goes through. On the parts list, it is part no.18 on the illustration Turbo 47.05 A.... Bush, Bellcrank Lever. If you have a squint down the hole, you should see the bush inside.... To change the bush, put it on the pivot bolt and slide it through the bellcrank...put a suitable socket or similar over the other end of the bolt, to allow the old bush to come out. ...then you can use a vice to squeeze the assembly together and lo! the old bush is pushed out by the new one and the new one is installed.

Not sure if this has been mentioned.  I have been using the SJ modification on the cross gate cable now for four years or so.  Does as it says on the box and has been a huge improvement.  That is until the thread the modification screws onto just broke...  Seems to have moved the weak link to another area....  As seen at the top of the image.  The thread is also slightly bent.

IMG_5004.jpg.098cf41f4bf6b30be40b5361b8c16522.jpg