free hit
counters
CROSS GATE CABLE & SJ UPGRADE KIT - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

CROSS GATE CABLE & SJ UPGRADE KIT

My non-modified cross gate cable broke in the same place a few years ago. Its possibly a weak spot in any case, although at the time I thought it was down to an error I had made when reassembling after a back end rebuild.

I hope I don't regret saying this, but the on the spot repair is still holding up well....

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you were ever to suffer the misfortune of your esprit having an esprit moment there are probably half a dozen places in the world where you would not do much want, but would be 'Happy" for it to ha

hello Giorgio. would it not be easier and cheaper to get a threadded piece of s/s and join the two. car looking very clean

The purpose of the kit is to replace the crappy joint on the far right end of the crossgate cable, (lower pic). It gets rid of the clevis and pin and replaces it with the rose joint. A good modificati

Posted Images

I'm still using the original 1982 crossgate cable; the adjusting threads and nuts are so rusty there is no chance of getting them to move, so the final adjustment of the crossgate cable involved an angle grinder to take a sliver off the starter motor lug where the securing bracket fits. Did that 15 years ago...still fine...(!) As long as the slop in the linkage, cable to bellcrank, pivot and bush and the pin that moves the gearbox crossgate has been dealt with it should all work fine. Trying to adjust the linkage to allow for slop doesn't seem to be too good an idea.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

If you were ever to suffer the misfortune of your esprit having an esprit moment there are probably half a dozen places in the world where you would not do much want, but would be 'Happy" for it to happen. For me, that place was literally outside Dave "Changes" house, hence the top quality on the spot repair!

• Haha 2