free hit
counters
Cat for S4 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
rizla603104

Cat for S4

Hi guys. When I bought my Esprit I did not know that the CAT had been removed - and while it wasn't a problem for the MOT station the last owner went to - GST have told me that it would be an immediate MOT failure at their test station. Does anybody have a CAT - sports CAT or such like in working order for some reason they don't need anymore?

I know SJ sell sports CAT's for around £300 - but after the money I have spent so far getting the wiper to work, shocks on the rear, O'rings replaced to stop the car catching on fire(!) and the like - I'd really like to find a guardian angel who may have one knocking about.

Thanks in advance!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Paul, you may not need a cat for the mot depending on engine number, my 94 S4 was listed on my test station lists as cat free but later models needed a cat, its worth checking before spending money!! My car was tested in June just before I sold it and I dont think regulations have changed in the last few months.

Martin

One of the January 2012 changes to the MOT was that a catalytic converter must be fitted where one was fitted as standard.

Hi Paul, ask your test station to check, they should have similar info. as my tester.

I believe 93/4 was a regulation change year for cat equiped cars, so your car may have left the factory with a cat in prep. for the new rules but may be fitted with an engine no. listed as no cat required ( I think that is how my tester explained it !!)

PM me your engine no. if you have no luck and I will track it down for you with my tester...................that will not guarantee that your man will accept that !!

Derek, just seen your post, I think this may be one of the regulations introduced that was not actually passed as law, I am checking up, watch this space!

Edited by MartinL

Anyone have stats on the number of S4s lost to fire as a result of dodgy O rings?

Yeah I have, big fat zero. I think I may have cat for your car if I can find it probably £100.

Trevor.

Blimey, Trev, that's a steal! You'd get close to that for scrap.

Well guys thanks for the responses! Regarding the O rings - certainly stopped the smell of burning oil every time I stopped - as well as the plume of smoke coming from the engine grill! Made me laugh - people point at the car as they see it from a distance - then holding their noses as the car passes by :scooter: put the exclamation (!) - as I had read somewhere else on the forum that oil onto the exhaust could catch fire - frightened the life out of me!

Trev - really interested in the CAT. Please do let me know....

Hmmm, which O rings are they? I had assumed these were in the fuel injection but clearly not. I'll have a look soon as I can and let you know re the Cat.

Trevor.

Just a thought, are you fitting it yourself? If not and you need it done the I could drop it off to Sparky as he's not far away and he could do it if he has time.

Trevor.

Hi Trevor, thanks for the reply. They were definitely causing issues with oil. All the O rings under each of the Hex bolts and at either end. So the heat shield had to come off etc. If that makes sense.

I'm based in Cambridge - but will ask Gerald at GST to put it on when he does the MOT. Happy to pay postage. Or I could meet you up the M11?

Ok let me find it first and we'll arrange something.

Trevor.

Not had chance but sure I know ahere it is but won't go there until Saturday. Should have some news by then.

Regards Trevor.

Really pleased to have met Trevor - really knowledgable guy - who put himself out for the good of another Lotus - lover. Very nice condition CAT for my S4. Thanks Trevor!

Excellent! Somebody got a right result there.

No problem, it should bolt straight on.

Trevor.