free hit
counters
removing the water pump from an S3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
S3mon

removing the water pump from an S3

Hi

I've noticed that water is coming out of the little hole underneath the waterpump :( so I guess something has failed internally and it needs repairing/replacing.

I have done a search and the general consensus seems to be its a pig of a job to do. But as the car is now laid up for the winter I wondered if anyone has a guide on getting the damn thing off with as little collateral damage as possible?

In otherwords, I dont mind taking my time to get the unit out, but I am reluctant to start removing ancillary bits n bobs (like engine mounts, cam belts etc) to do it

Is it just the access which makes it a difficult task? or is it a potentially bigger job than undoing a few difficult to reach bolts?

I am happy to have a go at most tasks but I draw the line at cambelts

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They tend to leak around the outside seal but as yours has a little water coming from elsewhere radseal or something similar might do the trick. You dont have to touch the cambelt to get the pump off but it is access which is tricky that plus one of the bolts which is a bugger to undo fully in situ. Sometimes the bolts can snap - they are fairly small diameter which can make for real problems.

Mostly it is laying across the engine you need to be a double jointed.

Check on the threads there is a lot of info on replacing the pump plus I think Lotusworld has a quide. Whatever you do dont bother with the kits. Getting the pump apart and then reassembling is almost impossible unless you have access to a large press. Its much cheaper to just buy a recond one for around £100.

Thanks Mike

I did check lotusespritworld but couldnt find anything relating to the waterpump.

Because I am in Germany, I'd rather not be trailering (or driving for that matter) the car back to the UK during winter, so happy to take my time doing it in my garage if I can find out what I need to do :)

Make sure you have a handy mirror on a stick to get good vision. One of the cheap ones on a telescopic handle would be best.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline-Telescopic-Mirror-370-765mm-Automotive-Tool-/200660812716?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2eb85103ac&_uhb=1

Basically, drain down coolant, remove thermostat housing leaving rubber pipe going to the alloy tubing attached. You should then be able to see things a little clearer. Cut through the belt going down to the vacuum pump (this will need slackening from underneath car to get the new belt back on). Then try and undo the 4 bolts holding the belt wheel onto the pump (this will make removal easier). Undo the other rubber pipes going into the pump and then you need to undo the bolts holding the pump. They are small size and different lengths. Try spraying with WD40 before undoing. There are about 7 in total and if one should snap you are in real trouble (basically an engine out job). Most bolts should come out fairly easily but there is one bolt almost impossible to access. I had to modify a spanner to gain a grip - you will need patience and more patience. You may even need to make a hole in the fiberglass panel to fully unscrew the bolt (for some reason mine came out ok).

You should then be ok if your ribs still hold out. Just take your time and you should be ok, its just access that is the problem.

Good luck and trawl though the threads, there are a number on changing the water pump, .

Don't use any kind of radiator seal.

The job's perfectly possible insitu. I prefer tackling it from underneath. One of the bolts will probably foul on the aux pulley; for this reason and general ease of access I prefer to remove the cambelt and pulley, but you could get away with it.

As Mike says, don't muck about - just get a new one.

Forgot to mention, the vacuum pump is attached to the bottom of the water pump with allen head bolts. Tricky to undo and you will need to be under the car.

Don't think this one has a vac pump?

That should make it a bit easier. If it hasnt got a vacuum pump presumably its a single belt to the driveshaft pulley.

S3 cars have, I believe, two V belts and the cambelt...for the alternator, the water pump and the cams. Aircon adds another belt, I think. Working from below seems to be the best way...nice to have a proper lift or ramp to get good working space. When I did the water pump in situ, my biggest problem wasn't undoing the thing...but getting it out of the car once it was removed from it's normal position. Every way I tried it would just not quite come out....in the end I think I resorted to removing the cambelt. The front of the engine nestles in a veritable birdcage of tubes and hoses; a nightmare when you're laying underneath in a puddle.

Thanks for all the helpful comments

I am going to get the car up on ramps at the weekend and take a quick look around.

draining the coolant will be the easiest part - the pump has already done that for me

Every way I tried it would just not quite come out....in the end I think I resorted to removing the cambelt.

I found that by removing the 19mm nuts from the engine mounts and jacking up the front of the engine the gap opened up enough to take the water pump out of the top

John

Edited by Mr_John111

laying underneath in a puddle.

Ahhhh Lotus ownership is great!

Hi

Just got all the hoses and bolts off. I took the thermastat cover off as well. I don't want to take the cambelt off because it's going to be too tricky for me to put it back.

Now thew big question. is the only option to get it out underside or is there possibility to get it out through upperside?

Is the engine mounts my only option? I have tried all the possible positions in underside option.

Hi Wally,

If you got the bolts out (the one fouled by the pulley is fun) you are nearly there.

It doesn't come out the top to my knowledge, with out engine mount games.   I have tried for about an hour !

I does come out from underneath, it takes patience and some thought.  You don't need to remove the cambelt.  But it is in your way.

Manoeuvre the pump until you can slip it past the cambelt.  This is not easily and may take a while.  You have to mildly twist the belt at one point.  From memory the pump stays left (exhaust side) don't let it roam into the middle of the engine too early.  Once you have squeezed past the cam belt you then have to turn it to get past the crank pulley and other bits of metalwork down at the bottom.  It does come out I promise you.  Once its out you get a massive sense of achievement!

I know you must think it doesn't, I can remember thinking this.

I managed to get the pump out from the top but had the cambelt off so that may have been the difference. Putting it back I used access below the engine and it was much easier.

Just done this on my S2, if its similar to mine I got the pump off OK with the cambelt in situ, but then had to take it off to actually get the pump up and out.

With cutting a slot in the rear of the bodywork, I found the best route in and out of its position was via the gap where the thermostat housing would be.

A mirror is a must so you can make sure all the old gasket and sealer is removed before you put the new pump on.

It is a hateful job!

Edited by Nelly9000