free hit
counters
Lower link bushes - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tonytransam

Lower link bushes

My S2 failed its M.O.T on rear lower link bushes, i have ordered the polyurethene ones from SJ.

I am however having a problem removing the pin, i have removed nuts from both sides whech way does it come out?

Edited by Roger Moore

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Be very, very careful. It'll come out either way, but it'll be seized, and too much stress on the carrier will crack it. It needs to be eased out without subjecting the carrier to major longitudinal force. I've used several methods: a couple of nuts tightened together to try and rotate it, lots of soaking, right up to hacking through it and pressing it out. If it doesn't move easily, you need to remove the carrier altogether and do it very carefully on the bench. Good luck, and whatever you do, don't use a hammer!

You can help things along by heating the casting...I use a Black and Decker electric paint stripper, which gives bags of heat without the possibility of flame igniting things! I have had these link pins come out nice and easily...I have had one (the first one I did, in the Dark Ages before the Internet and such useful guides as the one mentioned above) which wouldn't move AT ALL...so I belaboured it with a hammer in my frustration...when I learned why you don't so that. Still got the broken one as a reminder... and I've removed them where I had to take the assembly off the car and resort to careful application of heat and a 12 ton hydraulic press!! Without the press I would have resorted to sawing the link and dealing with it as described in the guide. I've even had to saw through one of the split spacers as the split itself wasn't enough to get the thing to collapse, it needed another. The main thing is to avoid, at all costs, any shock loading to the casting.

When you reassemble, don't try torquing up the nyloc nut....apply the torque wrench to the plain nut, as otherwise the nylon locking part will give you a wrong torque figure. Once you have it sitting on it's wheels at the correct ride height and the nuts torqued, then fit the final front locknut and you should be done. It's another Lotus funjob....

Wise words. When I purchased my car some clown had done a botched job and then resorted to welding up the hub carrier - not an easy job in the first place. However it must have been welded slightly askew as a week after buying the car I decided to take a good look and whilst the weld was holding the carrier had opened up and the pin was about to drop out the bottom of the carrier. Could have been a nasty accident.

I was told the hub carriers are obsolete so I purchased a second hand one and was told that was the last they had. Any further requests would result in a long wait until another scrap car came in.

Therefore heat, spray, heat again spray and leave then follow the advice above.

Be very careful when reassembling the stud on the carrier as the split spacer is a fundamental part of the assembly and it's the only thing that will prevent the hub to broke while tightening.

Giorgio