free hit
counters
How do I turn right? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

How do I turn right?

OK, here is street view of how we get from our drive to the road. We are exiting from the small lane on the right of the picture. We don't use the front gravel area so its not that bad.

rightturn.jpg

Problem is this. The wall obscures the view of oncoming traffic on the right. Its not too bad if your driving position is high but if you are in a standard car and definitely the Esprit, you cant really see the cars until they are upon you.

I asked the council for a mirror opposite. Its a £75 non-refundable application fee, then £550 if passed!!!!! Thats for a mirror I could get for £20 on amazon.

Forget that.

Ideas?

I have thought about a 'reversing' camera mounted in the front bumper but thats a little destructive.

I do have a decent in car system so a tech solution is a possibility.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Andrew - unfortunately, we lost the tree to ash disease 18 months ago! Shame because it was a fairly rare weeping ash.

Periscope - like that idea. Not sure how I could effect it but....

Very good!

I'd need a road going one to be useful at 2m or so.

Shame I cant buy a prism type of mirror to do the job.

You would be within your right to ask that the council puts a hidden driveway sign on the road at no cost to you I would think. Some sort of neat, unobtrusive as possible, roof mounted camera?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

you have a 'spy car'..so there is no reason not to think serious:

-buy a drone (RC-car/plane/helicopter) :D

*********you wrote that you have asked there in the 'city council' -is there a road safety section?

..I mean the department where you can ask how many crashes happened there within the last 30 years, or how many small kids of somewhere in that age, that age that would mean that those kids can also not see what is coming around the corner are there in the neighborhood. With those arguments, the question for a mirror system, or even a 'slow' mark on the road surface would echo a friendlier note

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

All of the above are much better than my idea of hiring a trained monkey to stand lookout on the stone wall and advise you with hand signals when traffic is coming. *Sigh*... sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

Actually, a holographic image of a small child chasing a ball projected onto the oncoming lane just prior to your departure might do the trick :)

Edited by 73JPS

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Actually, I realised that I have not answered your qestion.

Q) How do I turn right?

A) 1. Stop at T intersection

2. Indicate intention to turn right (consult owners manual for correct use of indicators if unsure)

3. Depress clutch with left foot while holding right foot on brake, select 1st gear (again consult owners manual if unsure of gearbox pattern)

4. Using Go-Go Gadget neck, attempt to look to the right past low brick wall, parked cars, oncoming traffic, pedestrians, or little tykes on bikes

5. Quickly, and at the same time move right foot from brake to accelerator, rev to approximately 3,500rpm, release clutch and turn steering wheel to the right while moving into the traffic in a huge pall of blue smoke, awesome noise and gob-smacked bystanders

Goal achieved! Easy.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Guest surferphil

Be careful with the council, you may find the sight lines from your lane don't conform to regulation, so the council may come back to you telling you to move the wall.

I'm sure you could find an angle to see the road from an Esprit if you had a mirror on top of the wall

Fit a CCTV camera to your house...plus a radio link, 2.4 or 5.8 GHz. Point the camera at the approaching traffic.Then fit a receiver in your car and a display unit, after which you'll be able to see everything you need to. The kit is pretty cheap these days, look on ebay under "fpv" for "first person view"...flying radio models using onboard video.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Great idea, John. But Occam's razor suggests alternatives. No batteries needed. :)

article-1260627-0039700900000578-180_224x532.jpg

article-1314689-0B520BD6000005DC-9_634x376.jpg

No worries. It's a mannequin!

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

I have a sister in Nuneaton who does not turn right under any circumstances. When she wants to drive anywhere she spends days working out routes whereby she does not have to turn right. Can you believe she has a driving licence ?

Can't you do the same?

Roger - just turning left has definitely entered my mind as a possible option!

Phil - good point regarding annoying the council. Will have to consider that.

I like the CCTV idea. Seems nice and elaborate. Could even inset a weatherproof screen into the wall to help everyone.

But lets go back and consider a 'reversing' camera set into the nose somewhere.

Any suggestions where it could go and how small do they come now?