free hit
counters
Getting my Esprit back on the road - at last ! - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
ChrisJ

Getting my Esprit back on the road - at last !

I'm really please to say that my Esprit has seen the light of day again, and I've started the process of getting it back on the road after 10 years. I'm not doing it myself, not mechanically minded, so it;s off to GST. Here's some photos from today.

It's been hibernating in this cave since 2002 (according to the tax disc).

IMGP0893.jpg

Engine bay - no grass growing at least.

IMGP0897.jpg

Out she comes - with a quick jerk from a tow wire to free the stuck brakes.

IMGP0900.jpg

Onto the trailer.

IMGP0906.jpg

A 10 year layer of dust

IMGP0909.jpg

Tied on and ready to go

IMGP0912.jpg

On route.

IMGP0917.jpg

Nearly there, stuck in traffic - completely messed up my fuel economy, thought I'd beat my record of 49.9 mpg for this run, was at 49.3 mpg at the time. The 20 minute delay dropped it back to 47mpg.

IMGP0922.jpg

Arrived after a one and a 3/4 hour journey

IMGP0923.jpg

Off the trailer

IMGP0927.jpg

Next time, under power !

IMGP0929.jpg

Up on the ramp for the first inspection.

IMGP0932.jpg

I'll know more next week, but hopefully won't be in for long, and I'll be back on the road soon.

Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Is that with or without the dust :thumbsup:

The inside trim matches the colour of the stripes - being "teddy bear" velour - and I have only just realised that (after 25 years of ownership :blush:)

Looks great - exactly same as mine! Whats the interior colour? Also whats the copper plumbing in the engine bay?

- Ah just noticed the Teddy Bear velour...

Edited by 910Esprit

Chris

I'd be really interested to see what it needs to get back on the road.

Gerald can work wonders.

He must be getting used to transporting dusty Esprits round the country. This one hadn't seen the light of day for 20 years until it went on the trailer.

post-196-0-50905400-1351892818.jpg

Edited by Bazza 907

Steve - the copper plumbing is for a remote release fire extinguisher - operated from the cabin. A fellow Esprit owner in 1988/9 came up with them, and we plumbed it in on his and mine - his was the 2.2 in my gallery here. The extingusher is a halon one - which has lost all it's pressure - so will be replaced by something a bit more current. I included that image deliberately because of this plumbing.

Barrie - me too !

Gerald reckons that just a fluids and belts change, bit of brake work, and that's it. However, this was from a 1/2 hour exam on arrival having never seen the car before, so I'd have no issue if more work is required, but would think it a very good result if that was all, and if so will be kicking myself for not doing this 5 years ago.

He thought that my NCTs looked as though they would be OK as they have lots of tread left, but that he'd only know once some load was put on them. Only one was flat, and I just pumped it up yesterday, held the pressure fine this morning.

Edited by ChrisJ

Will be fantastic to see on the road...one of.our Esprit meets maybe! Im still looking for my barn find basket case g turbo for the next project..if anyone knows one!

Hi Lex, the bumpers have always been white. The decals are gold, the same colour as in Barrie's post above. Here's a close-up from many years ago that shows them a bit better.

890572-12.jpg

Thanks Patrick, I'm feeling quite lucky as it will be as if I'm starting again with a "new car" having not driven it for so long.

I'm now having to clear out the garage in preparation for the homecoming. My wife has taken it over with a load of gym equipment - although it hasn't been used very much - she is most insistant that it will have to go somewhere. I suggested down the dump, not in her good books for that!.

As an aside, can anyone guess where the photo in my previous post was taken?

Chris

NAC Stoneleigh?

Trevor.

Not Stoneleigh

Turn a little bit right and walk 100 yds and this is part of the view.

88107H-25a.jpg

Edited by ChrisJ

Goodwood Circuit Chris :smoke: Terrific to see - thanks for the PM's. I'm following with interest as this is almost entirely the identical state as mine - Off road for near 10 years etc. Keep us all updated with the job GST do ...

Goodwood it is - 1989 with Surrey Club Lotus - here's the full picture

88107H-25.jpg

A quick update.

I've just been speaking to Gerald at GST and the car's been running. We are now waiting on a replacement fuel hose.

The Esprit will be taken for some test drives to put some mileage on - to see if anything breaks, and to check out the tyres, and should be ready shortly.

So good news

Chris

No matter what they look like, I'd be inclined to change the tyres. Running on rubber that old is not a good idea; the plasticizers will be long gone from the rubber mix and the carcass will have become inflexible. Have a look at the thread about tyre foam, where the tread has seperated from the carcass...I'd think old tyres would be even more liable to do this. Nice car, by the way...newer than mine!!

I agree with Molemot, definitely wouldn't be out on those old tyres, they will have very little grip and spoil the whole experience.

Trevor.

I agree re the tyres, was suprised when Gerald said he thought they'd be OK.

Any suggestions as to what to replace the NCTs with? It's a shame as they only have 1-2000 miles on them.

1st registered 1st Aug 1982. I thought I was the third owner, although looking at the V5, there are 3 previous owners. I bought the car on 16 June 1987, the previous owner bought the car on 1st Oct 1984, so I've got two years of unknowns.

Just sent the V5 off today for a change of address, getting ready for the tax & insurance probably from 1st December, once the MOT is passed.

Chris

Update: all is running, but there is low compression on two cylinders, and is burning oil. Engine is coming out to sort this out.

And it was going so well

Couple of pistons damaged - everything else is fine.

IMGP0943a.jpg

Chris,

Dropped my car off at GST this morning and saw your car ion the ramps. A bit more than a plug change now then :-). You'll have a nice engine when it's done as the liners looked to be in very good condition.

Trevor.

Bit of a bugger though !