free hit
counters
Interesting Esprit Conversion on eBay - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
73JPS

Interesting Esprit Conversion on eBay

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The stance is WAAAYYYY offfff. But could just be because he fitted larger wheels without adjusting the suspension

The front definitely doesn't look right, too much wheel gap for sure. Can't say I'm a fan of the larger wheels on older Esprits, I think they need some rubber.

This is a ridiculous thing to say "Too many details to list". It looks like a clean swap, but with so few pictures it's hard to tell.

Edited by Bloodnok

I'm more concerned about the rear, it looks as though the person put beefier springs on to counter the extra engine weight and it means the car starts off being too high such that the wheels are tucking in. Perhaps when one of the springs get pushed down it goes to normal height, say when cornering on that side or over a bump. I'd guess they're either too strong (and never compress correctly or are too long but too weak and so start out too tall and when compressed become too short.

Possibly a very tall driver who has moved the seats a long way back, having the mirrors closer will allow a wider view.

What I don't get is why the engine swap. The SHO also gets only 220-230 hp, so why all the trouble and added weight?

AutoCheck states the milage as 4,518 in May of 1993. Current milage is listed in the ad as 5,150. This brings up several questions, not least of which is what has the car been doing for the last 19 years, and when (and why) was the "transplant" performed? The Ford SHO is shown as an '89 motor, but no mention is made of it's milage (before or after mods) independent of the car's. That said, the installation (what you can see of it, anyway) looks clean, but any potential buyer would be advised to delve more deeply into the car's history, as I'm sure they will.

there are many different engine-swaps known out here in the forum, of course

..but would'nt be the first step to use the forum search -to find a post mentioning a Ford SHO conversion attempt ? Maybe this brings some light into it, as you would need to know what you do for any clean and working conversion ..or at least get good information on related problems..

Oh, and Thomas ..most engine-conversion on the Esprit are there for the Question: *how can we have more reliable and cheaper parts in the engine bay*

Edited by Günter

Highly interesting Lotustalk thread, Mark. Thanks for that.

From that thread:

Background of this car

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkHaigler viewpost.gif

Several years ago I owned a S2 Esprit that Chuck Beck had installed a Ford SHO motor into. It was a lot of fun but I moved on, now have a 94 S4. I'm wondering if anyone has seen the car recently? It was gold when I sold it.

If you know where the car is now I would love to know! I came across this post and recognized it, so I'm in story telling mode...

This car was owed by my boss Jeff (La Jolla, CA) back in the early 90's. It was origionally equipped with Del'Orto carbs which made the rare drive difficult to initiate. One day while spraying carb cleaner into the stacks while trying to fire her up, she coughed and sprayed the engine bay with liquid fire. Jeff got angry. I had been visiting Chuck Beck's shop frequently as I was fascinated with the 550 Spyer he was making. Jeff came up with me one day and Chuck took us out in his Shogun prototype. A few weeks later, Jeff put two and two together and asked Chuck if he could swap the SHO into the Esprit. We faxed him some measurements of the engine bay and he said to bring the car up.

It took about a year to complete. He had to fabricate the adapter plate (the car used the OEM Lotus/Citroen transaxle) and a killer set of headers. The exhaust exited out the center with two Supertrapps. I drove JEff up to bring the car back to San Diego and following that car down the highway was pretty special. At the time, 240 or whatever HP, was a lot.

The car started every time and this was the first Esprit I got to drive. Which may have lead to my recent purchase of my S4. Regardless, I remember clearly when we picked the Lotus up from getting the custom engine tonneau installed, I was driving Jeff's 5.0 Mustang trying to follow him home. We hit a light with him on pole and me right behind. The light went green and he floored it and so did I. I got some wheelspin and he did not. When I finally got into 2nd gear he was 1000 feet ahead and I didn't see him again for 30 minutes. That car sounded great and was very interesting.

When I see it for sale on ebay or wherever, I think about owning it. Great car. Oh, by the way, he moved to New Zealand and then sold his small car collection to start a business. He is now in Portland, OR and I am trying to convince him to buy a V8 Esprit. He's a good guy.

as for the Yamaha/Ford SHO discussion:

the mentioned 'Italdesign' version of the *Ford-midengine V6 prototype* car should be the Ford Maya ..should it ?

I originally stated that this was an "interesting conversion": the link that Mark posted finally makes that statement true... thanks Mark! :D

I'm confused. It was an S2 with an S3/Turbo aero kit, in addition to the engine swap?