free hit
counters
Insurance vampires - Lotus Insurance - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Insurance vampires

Its rightly an offence not to have insurance for your car . Right ?

So why are the DVLA after me for having no insurance, threatening me with a fine, when I have a nice Certificate which I paid for, with all the right dates on it ?

I found out today after a (second) angry call to the brokers (the first call to both them and the DVLA seems to have been ignored) . Apparently Allianz no longer offered the policy at the same time (uh?) as issuing my certificate, so they saw fit not to to place my car on the Car Insurance Database as having insurance.

Let me repeat this for my own benefit because it is hard to believe let alone swallow. I pay hundreds of pounds for a certificate but still get into trouble with the law because the issuing company does not see fit to register my car as insured because their insurance product has been discontinued and they don`t tell me.

The broker has today promised me a refund of the money I have spent on a "worthless" certificate; all well and good but what about the DVLA ? Anyway if this got to Court, we`d see how a Court viewed my payment for the piece of paper I had every reason to rely on as proof that I was insured.

Rest assured I am complaining to Allianz PLC .

Maybe that ever so nice Mrs. Robinson off the telly too.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they issued you the certificate and you've paid and not received a communication (letter, telephone call, refund of premium) then I can see no way you'd know you were not insured and so you'd be covered not only for the requirement to have insurance but also in the event of a claim.

So, how much hassle have you had? Enough to put in a formal complaint and demand compensation? I'd go for it.

Thanks, I`m seeing what their response is. What makes me so p****d off is that I rang the insurors and the DVLA before about it and they were too busy talking about last night`s X-factor or whatever to actually do anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Well they are still after me for no insurance, I have checked the position and basically beware, you are automatically guilty for having no insurance if your car is not on the insurance database and they don`t give a toss about the reasons why not; in my case that I was issued a certificate which I paid for and led to believe I had valid insurance. The best result would be to get a letter confirming that the broker would indemnify me even though the policy was technically invalid, so I am pursuing that pending Court.

Of course the brokers will probably become curiously silent over their own potential liability .

It would certainly be nice if the DVLA looked at more than a computer and bothered to check out people`s stories in objecting to being fined rather than another dreary intonation of "computer says ner......" but that would mean paying staff to do it.

Escalate Escalate Escalate!

Its time to name and shame. I would advise Allianz that you are going make their treatment of you public in whichever way you feel would most embarrass their CEO.

Advise also that they should sort this out directly with the DVCA on your behalf. Try not to link these two actions, you dont want to be accused of blackmail!

Contact their UK CEO directly outlining your case and intended actions. Give them a sharp deadline too. They would give you one!

If you receive (or dont) unacceptable action, escalate again with an even more serious letter. Its therefore important that you give yourself space to increase the pressure. You could also do similar to the DVLA. Perhaps they would like to appear on primetime TV to explain themselves?

In all of this, make it personal. Find someone and direct all correspondence to them. They wont want to be answerable to their boss.

Kiss some ass, Seabass!

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

I got pulled for no insurance a couple of years ago (when the cop showed me the famous Bibs video). I showed him my certificate, he called the insurers direct and gave them a bollocking for failing to update the database, and sent me on my way. Surely that's the way to do it...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I am assuming it will now go to Court but there will be a letter to the Prosecution making representations.

As my job involves attending Court fairly regularly, I have no issues with that - its just the sheer pointless hassle involved.

It seems to be Sureterm Direct`s fault as the broker rather than Allianz, but when it comes to a civil claim they are both unlikely to put "sorry we screwed up" in writing.

At the root of it all I do resent the fact that a computer finds you guilty and not another human being.

Surely it would be for the prosecution to prove ,not that the insurance hadn't been put in force, but that you knew the insurance had not been put in force.

I had a minor biff one day on the way back from my broker, approx 1pm, the policy was supposed to have been put in force at noon that day, the person didn't and left it for somebody else to do. There was a debate about how it was their fault or not in the end I sent a letter making it clear what they had confirmed in writing, what they had not done and how they had in effect underwritten my car insurance using their professional indemnity insurance as it was their negligence that lead to the lack of a dedicated policy. The police (other party thought they were on a winner) agreed they had no interest as it was a technical breach and the insurance broker stumped up for the claim.

No, you are guilty of the offence if you have no insurance. End of. All you can do is plead in mitigation that you didn`t know, and that may lead (as I hope here) no penalty.

It does bring home the unpleasant reality that we are all dependent on the insuror just doing what you pay them to do; otherwise its a world of hassle with the DVLA.

A different thead really but the Government is about to try to make suing for road traffic accidents a whole lot harder by reducing the standard costs payable to Claimant lawyers in a standard case to £36 per hour. Most businesses let alone lawyers, won`t get out of bed for that rate. 

I think I would persist with the DVLA, writing them a letter. I have managed to get them to do what I wanted before now, despite several lower level refusals...it needs to reach someone with sufficient seniority to make an informed and reasonable decision, rather than the computerised minions. Good luck with it, anyway!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

No, you are guilty of the offence if you have no insurance. End of. All you can do is plead in mitigation that you didn`t know, and that may lead (as I hope here) no penalty.

It does bring home the unpleasant reality that we are all dependent on the insuror just doing what you pay them to do; otherwise its a world of hassle with the DVLA.

A different thead really but the Government is about to try to make suing for road traffic accidents a whole lot harder by reducing the standard costs payable to Claimant lawyers in a standard case to £36 per hour. Most businesses let alone lawyers, won`t get out of bed for that rate. 

But surely you were insured, you had written confirmation from the insurer (certificate), you had made payment and they'd not contacted you to inform you otherwise, so you were insured. If they decided to not record it nor to tell you they'd changed their minds that's their fault.

Dan - I don't think you are correct regarding the MID database (i.e. your policy is underwritten by the insurer not the MID) - I've got a reasonable amount of insight and wrote a fair proportion of the systems some of you will be using... What seems very curious to me is that a cert was produced before the policy was rated and underwritten - as you allude above I suspect the Broker has issued this on behalf of the insurer. Clearly I dont know the circumstances, but maybe the insurer isnt the cause of the problem.

I cant see how if you paid for something and with out telling you any different or refunding you any money how anything could be said against you? It has to be the insurance companies duty to insure you...as you had paid and they had taken your money!

Re the computer list, there was a link talked about on here where you could check to make sure the insurance company had added you on. I thought being on or off the list wasn't a guarantee of being insured or not but was a quick reference for the police so they could check using your reg plate etc.?

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Something seems to have gone wrong between the Broker taking payment and the policy been issued (thats why I can t understand how a'certificate' has been issued). As the Broker is your representative, I would be asking him the difficult questions. I would also ask them to formally register this as a complaint and ask them what their TCF policy is (treating customer fairly).

Hi, yes it does seem to be the Broker`s fault - it was a bit sloppy of me to refer to the Insuror . Latest from yesterday is that the Broker seems to agree to write a "Letter of Indemnity" confirming that they would have honoured the invalid policy

...that is good evidence that I was insured to all intents and purposes.

As above,  hard to stomach as it is, it is for you to have insurance and you are committing an offence if you do not. The DVLA can`t be bothered with all this "innocent till proven guilty" business-there is a separate question as to whether the legislation does too many favours to the insurance industry.     

Dan

I'm glad that the fault appears to be with the broker rather than the insure.

Insurers are far from perfect but when it comes to having clients on or off cover there are pretty well laid down guidlines and proceedures.  

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to say that today I finally got a letter of apology and compensation of 175 quid plus a letter of indemnity. It doesn`t mean I won`t have to go to Court but I now have proof that it was all the Broker`s fault....and my Citroen GSA won`t get crushed !   :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...