free hit
counters
Help me with some basics please? -A new Evorist! - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Solarshaun

Help me with some basics please? -A new Evorist!

Hello all,

I've been privilged to step into a 2011 Evora with Tech, Sport and CR box. I adore the car, but have found online resources lacking.

Could you fine people help me out with a couple of things?

1. Regular unleaded or Super??

2. Can the sat nav give directions with the iPod playing at the same time? Its multitasking skills seem to be lacking!

3. Can it be power-washed safely by these local car wash companies? Any areas need avoiding?

4. I can't seem to drive off in cold weather without putting on the front demister for several minutes first. Is this a "characteristic" of teh car? Do you leave the AC on at all times?

5. Is that the engine's air intake I see when I look into my door mirrors? Do these high intakes mean that it can safely go through flooded roads? (This Q might seem stupid, but if you've been in the North recently, you'll know why I ask!)

That's all for now. Thanks in advance.

Shaun

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

1. Regular unleaded or Super??

Super. Nothing less than 93 octane.

2. Can the sat nav give directions with the iPod playing at the same time?

Mine does, but that's a Pioneer unit. Might be different with Alpine.

3. Can it be power-washed safely by these local car wash companies?

Aside from the usual pitfalls of power washing, yes.

4. I can't seem to drive off in cold weather without putting on the front demister for several minutes first. Is this a "characteristic" of teh car? Do you leave the AC on at all times?

Haven't had that problem myself.

5. Is that the engine's air intake I see when I look into my door mirrors? Do these high intakes mean that it can safely go through flooded roads? (This Q might seem stupid, but if you've been in the North recently, you'll know why I ask!)

I've driven through several inches of rain and torrential downpours no sweat.

In the UK, you can use regular unleaded as the higher octane is really only of benefit to forced induction cars. That said, premium fuels from Shell/BP etc are better quality than supermarket ones so try to stick to them.

I've had 5 Evora's in the UK in the damp weather they all misted up, in fact even more so when the AC had been on so I ended up running with the AC permanently on on anything but a sunny day for the first 5/10 mins of a journey.

I'm pretty sure iirc that you can have nav over the iPod, you need to set the nav mix level to determine the volume it interrupts at and I think you need the handbrake on to get to that setting in the system menu.

Oh, and the air intake is the one you can see in the left hand mirror. That said, don't drive through water that deep, you'll float away!

3. Can it be power-washed safely by these local car wash companies? Any areas need avoiding?

My local car wash people ripped part of my S badge off with their shammy towel. Doesn't look like you have the S, but if you do, the thin ends are easy to break if they get caugh

Check your AC condenser is working, they are a common fail point, mine is in being replaced at the moment.

Check your AC condenser is working, they are a common fail point, mine is in being replaced at the moment.

+1 Just a stupid place they've installed it. I'm on my second....

And I run the car 95% with A/C on.

Pop over to the intro's section and post up some pics for us :thumbsup:

You might also want to check to make sure the car is not letting in water which would make the misting up problem worse. I had water coming in through the passenger door seal and also through the rear window between the cabin and the engine bay. Bell and Colvil sorted this for me under warranty.

I do get the satnav working while listening to the radio or iphone but it will always mute the radio at every directional instruction despite not actually giving any audible directional instruction. I actually don't want it talking to me but I would like the music source to be uninterrupted.

Good luck.

cheers

-Chris

Your nav mix will be on zero if you get silence, you can turn just turn it off though if you'd rather not be interrupted.

I managed to turn my SatNav voice off so that it doesn't interrupt the radio or music (which was pretty much all the time when driving through London). The SatNav instructions are as clear as mud and the whole system is far more complex and fiddly than it needs to be, but if you print off the relevant pages from the CD manual and work through them while sitting in the car it can be done. You can also disable the speed warning if yours is turned on - speed limit still appears on the SatNav screen when you approach a camera but without the annoying interruption.

I think I've figured this out, thank you.

Bit of a pain not having the sat nav speak without cutting the music out (I just turned the whole "mix" thing off altogether), particularly when it's really sunny and you can't see the screen!

But then, sometimes it's fun to get lost. Especially in this car...

I've got into the habbit of putting in super unleaded after my last car. This will be tough to break. Has anyone actually noticed a difference?

The extra octane is just to increased resistance to detonation (pinking) so the ECU can increase boost on a forced induction car before it detonates through compression rather than ignition.

If your car is an NA, the engine won't give a stuff.

It's the RON that counts rather than whether the petrol is called regular or super, and the definition of what is regular and what is super varies from country to country and supplier to supplier. I think in the UK regular unleaded has to be at least 95 RON anyway, which is what Lotus recommend as the minimum to avoid knocking (regular is only 91 RON in some countries, particularly outside Europe). As such I tend to use super in my S when the price looks reasonable and regular when the price looks alarmingly high (e.g. on the motorway), and no adverse reaction from the car so far. I think Shell V-Power is supposed to have the highest RON (99) in the UK out of the widely available brands, but don't quote me on that. Unfortunately the suppliers in the UK tend to focus more on promoting their various brands rather than disclosing what you are actually buying.

Over 3 NA cars and about 28,000 miles I have frequently tried playing with different fuels and I can detect no difference what so ever in performance of pulling away smoothness when cold. My usual fuel is Tesco unleaded and have recently just tried 3 tankfulls of Shell V-Power. That was partly due to Service Manager at MMC in Edinburgh burrying his head in his hands when he found out I was using tesco. (It was a joke but still made me think) In fact the only thing I note making a difference is I use the sport button from cold as it seems to help avoiding higher revs and some clutch slipping to catch it.

They all have poor aircon systems. TADTS!! A Characteristic! :censored: Not enough heat when required and condensers that fail when required! All 3 cars have required this. Mind you so did my Porsche and my neighbours one so not a unique Lotus trend.

Check all your carpets very carefully for dampness if misting persists as many different places leak. I know as I have had them all. Once wet internally they steam up very easily. I have even had water coming in above pedals due to an aircon pipe that was cut incorrectly so it dripped onto something that filled up and overflowed into the car.

It tells you in the handbook not to powerwash the car and Lotus will not accept any warranty claims caused by them if you do. I am always a 2 bucket man myself, but having seen the state of other Scottish Evoras that have had paint stripped from mirrors, valances, nose etc. due to powerwashing I will not be trying any time soon. Something to do with relatively soft paint required on a composite body car that flexes more than a tin rot box. (So I was told by Lotus)

Anyway the important bit is you are loving the car. :thumbsup: The rest are just part of the 'fun' of owning such a great limited numbers car. :huh::bounce:

Thanks Legs, hugely useful reply. No damp detected, but I think the condenser may need a little TLC. Not looking forward to washing it myself... I want a clean car, but I don't want people to think I'm some sort of nutter who performs motor-masturbation every Sunday!

MHC: sorry, I should have specified I live in the UK. Our unleaded is min. 95RON (just as well considering how much we pay for it!). My last car, a Honda S2000, drank a lot more and was pretty lethargic on "regular unleaded". When I put 97 or higher in, it made a big difference.

Bibs -I this may actually save me some money! Who knew a Lotus could be cheap(er) to run!

The debate about premium over regular will no doubt continue, but certainly on older cars it does make a difference, if not necessarily performance wise (although my Esprit V8 definitely runs a lot smoother) but certainly as far as engine 'cleaning' is concerned. The extra detergents help clear deposits from the chambers, inlet/exhaust ports, valves etc. better than standard. I think it was EVO magazine which ran a lengthy comparison test several years ago which convinced me to run a tank of premium very 3 or 4 refills. There was a marked difference in the condition of the top ends when they were dismantled.

Edited by hedgerley

It tells you in the handbook not to powerwash the car and Lotus will not accept any warranty claims caused by them if you do. I am always a 2 bucket man myself, but having seen the state of other Scottish Evoras that have had paint stripped from mirrors, valances, nose etc. due to powerwashing I will not be trying any time soon. Something to do with relatively soft paint required on a composite body car that flexes more than a tin rot box. (So I was told by Lotus)

First I've heard of that! Lotus have been making fibreglass cars for some time, this shouldn't be happening?

I missed that Shaun was new.

Welcome to TLF Shaun. :welcome:

As Bibs said, duck over to the Intros thread and say hi there. Generally more people will respond to you there versus a model specific post.

Also, we need pics!

Other than that, any questions or issues with forum use, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

For what it's worth the typical high octane you can get here in the States is 93, but when I was at Sebring weekend before last I tried 110, but I didn't notice any difference. I put in my best lap times after that, but not because the acceleration was any better, but because it was my last session of the day and I was getting to know the track better.

I think your octane ratings in the USA must be different to ours. 110 RON would launch you to the moon :bounce:

The ECU will also take a few tanks of fuel for any noticable benefit, but after a few tanks you will see more boost from the supercharger if it was retarding it on the lower octane fuel.

You are correct, sir. We use the AKI rating:

(RON Octane Rating x 0.95 = AKI Octane Rating)

98 RON Octane x 0.95 = 93.1 AKI Octane (US measure)

100 RON Octane x 0.95 = 95 AKI Octane (US measure)

That means that AKI 110 = RON 115.8

The AKI octanes they had at Sebring started at 110 and went up to 120, so they're dishing out screaming high octane fuels. I won't even mention what it cost to fill up at just 110. OK, I will--$153. Ouch.