free hit
counters
v8 twin plate ap clutch - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Alex Carter

v8 twin plate ap clutch

hi guys following on from my build thread can anyone tell me what the thickness off the clutch plates from new and when they should be replaced the measurements in the manual talk about 35mm but this it the whole clutch i want to know individual plate sizes i think i have meat left but if its near the end i might as well do it now

thanks alex

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The friction plate thickness is 7 mm when new, unfortunately my manual doesn't give the service limit.

service limit is if you run on the rivets ;)

..in fact, the remained hight between 'new' and what is 'left to use' until the rivets get in contact with the flywheel is not much, but that's why the clutch is not meant to use it like a brake pad ! So use it with fast engage (even knowing that the shifter system even with the '98 shifter version isn't race like ..) ..do not hold it up in 'halve contact' for long periods, use the handbrake instead for example on a short stop for the traffic lights on a hill.. .

Spoke to ap today the replacement limit is 2.5 mm across the whole friction plate which means mine all good not far from new

Do they mean 2.5 mm of wear or residual thickness? If they mean the latter then someone's got it wrong.

would mean 2.5mm to stay on every side ..not the whole thickness of the plate -right :D ?

have some on the workbench, so I can look tomorrow ..but would guess the gap you can see from the outside edge, between the 'segmentations' ..this is nearly within the same hight as the rivets heads?

i asked the road oem clutch guy at AP and his answer was 2.5 mm thick across the friction plate so at new each plate is 7.1 mm thick and the sugested replacement limit is 2.5mm thick .

so I measured one of my plates today:

-with an *nearly as new* plate it is around 3mm material for each side .. as the clutch plate does have two sides, on every side there is the material riveted on the metall base, and the base for its own is something like a flat spring profile, with an profile height of around 1mm. This summs up to the something as 7.1 mm for a new clutch-plate.