free hit
counters
Forgive me Evora, for I have sinned... - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Justin182

Forgive me Evora, for I have sinned...

Morning all, interesting story (kind of) coming up!

I've owned my 2010 Evora from new, and I've done around 15000 miles so far. There really was no feeling like speccing up my own car and going to Murrays to pick it up. I don't think I'll ever forget that day. I have done a few track days in it, and a trip to the Nurburgring. The car has not been without fault (like all of them I suppose) but the last six months or so it really has been fantastic.

However, I'm sure other owners are the same, I can't help but find myself wondering into the Pistonhead Classifieds almost on a daily basis, merely just looking, but last weekend my eye was caught, by a Yellow Ferrari 360 Spider.

I have not specifically been looking to change, and not really sure what I would change to, but after almost two and a half years, I must admit to having itchy feet. The only other car close to pulling me out of my CO Evora was the MY12 IPS S. Unfortunately me and Brandon couldn't agree on numbers, plus I wasn't convinced it wqas a big enough change to justify the extra outlay

Anyways, back to my (uninteresting) story. Slot booked at Ferrari for a test drive, and I went down on Monday. I was swithering on the way down whether Yellow was right or not, but in the flesh it looked fantastic. Better than expected and it was absolutely immaculate. A credit to the previous owner.

Drive was to be expected. Lots of drama, not as much noise as I'd hoped for (quieter than my decat'd E) but the soft top really added to the occasion. Sun was shining. This is it! This is the car to get me out of the Evora! :( It did not drive nearly as well as the evora, but its a 11 year old car, so can't expect too much

DAC8BC87-2888-4C69-927E-0BBE07100898-6339-000003E8AD59533E.jpg

DC59A8E3-0218-435A-AB76-9CD34274C21B-6339-000003E8A7EDB380.jpg

0FF8B9AC-252A-444C-9F0B-CB240BD5109A-6339-000003E89D3A3F5E.jpg

Crunched some numbers over the following few days, and the deal was done. Insurance changed, deposit placed..

I was meant to be picking it up this morning. Upon gathering up all the necessary documents last night, I had a horrible feeling I was doing the wrong thing. I couldn't explain it at all, and decided to talk to the girlfriend for her opinion! ( :help: ) Believe it or not, she actually got quite emotional at the thought of leaving the car behind for a new model (strange I know!) but genuinely couldn't sleep last night thinking I was making a huge mistake.

So long story short, I've pulled out. The Evora is staying! Much apologies made to the dealer, and now to try and get my deposit back .. 'Good luck' I hear the crowd cheering!

Someone tell me I've done the right thing!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope that helps!

360's are reputed to be one of the worse driving Ferrari's of the modern era, you'd have been VERY upset with the car after an Evora!

Well done, a close call :D

*PS Dealer legally has to return deposit, although can withhold a reasonable amount if they've prepped the car for you specifically, or refused other sales in the meantime.

I got close to selling the esprit recently, but realised it would be mistake, i love the car so instead stuck with it and decided to make her look pretty again.

Close call on the fezza, swap your 2010 for a newer Evora, different colour or something if you have urges for a refresh.

Started reading your post thinking 'the poor sod he's making a huge mistake'. I''m sure you did the right thing in not buying it.

Trevor here had one and I'm sure he'll comment but as I recall he really wasn't taken with it

Didn't get on with the 360 as it's not in my mind a drivers car unfortunately. One of the better looking Ferrari's of the modern era and reliable. All aluminium takes care of the rust mostly and values stay steady with cheap (comparatively) servicing make it a good Ferrari to own. I sold mine and moved to the Sport 350 and wouldn't change that at all as the drive is what it's all about. i think you made a good move keeping your car but I know that it won't be long before your current car goes for something new as the itch is clearly there. We'll see.

Trevor.

911 GT3 as an alternative? Similar price nowadays if you don't mind a fairly leggy one?

I was thing along similar lines but didn't go there:-). The only car that I would change for at the moment would be another 996 GT3 or maybe a GT2. Fantastic cars with driver appeal and economy but not cheap to service. Hold value well too.

Trevor.

As a hard Lotus man it would be hard to convince me that anything other than another Evora could replace an Evora. But I know most of the rest of the car nuts out there have different tastes and ownership wanderlust.

One thing did not seem to enter into the decision making process was service needs. I know that a Lotus can be a handful if things start to go wrong. But I can only imagine what it would cost if a Ferari or Porsche had some kind of gremlin that needed sorting.

Anyway, when I picked up my Evora S and went through the maintainance schedule with the salesman I was dumbfounded to see that for the entire schedule the only only thing that was not just a "check" was an oil change every 9k miles (except for first service).

Lotus parts and service are surely not inexpensive. But take a 360 to a Ferrari dealer and see what it'll cost to change the oil and it may sway a potential buyer to stay in the Evora.

BTW Justin. I also specced out my car and recently picked it up at the dealer so I know the feeling you had at Murrays.

Edited by LotusX180R

You definitively made the right decision and I definitively would have advised against the 996 GT2 or GT3. Both are basically track only cars, not to be driven under normal road conditions and never, I repeat NEVER, on wet secondary roads. Going from a car with such greatand handling and predictable behaviour to the rear engined and highly unpredictable Porsche would not have been rewarding experience. :getmecoat:

I was also recently thinking of trading for a MY13 Evora, but as in your case the numbers just didn't add up. What I did end up doing was taking a hard look at the Evora Parts list to identify the differences. Most of the upgrades can be fitted also on the pre-MY12 cars. So far, I've gone for the steering wheel and the trimmed door pulls. Some parts are just insanely epensive, like the door sills with the metal inlay. Also put black foil on the roof panel, under the doors and on the front spoiler. Gives me the feeling I now have a new car with the great advantage that most of the Lotus niggles have been resolved.

Edited by TBD

Thanks all, it's helping! Weirdly I was not excited about picking the car up last night, I was more anxious that I was doing the right/wrong thing.. Odd! I still don't know what to do.

I've got itchy feet, but don't have a specific car in mind I want, however there are loads of cars I definately want to own at some point.. A Ferrari being one of them.

GT3 is another car I've considered, but the heavy clutch really put me off as I would be using it as a daily.

Bibs - I hope you are right. The way I understand it is it was a 'holding deposit' to stop anyone else buying it. I am expecting them to claim otherwise.

If they don't refund it at all I might end up going through with it as I can't afford to just lose it :(

I'm on my phone so can't reply to all very easily, but the input is appreciated!

TBD - similar thoughts to me although if I'm itching for another car I feel modding the Evora would be a waste of time/money for me

You definitively made the right decision and I definitively would have advised against the 996 GT2 or GT3. Both are basically track only cars, not to be driven under normal road conditions and never, I repeat NEVER, on wet secondary roads.

I think you are underestimating other peoples skills/ability to control themselves and overestimating the GT2/GT3's want to kill. both extremely capable and fine handling cars just not to everyones taste.

Trevor.

I was tempted pre Evora purchase, not too seriously but the thought of a really nice 355 appealed and still does....

It's a different car though, the Evora's a great daily drive, dare I say 'practical'... and that's before you start thinking in terms of running costs. I read about a chap on a Fessa forum filled his 355 up one Sunday morning for a spirited blat... he covered about 120 miles and had to fill up again at his local petrol station to get the car home!

I have issues with the Ferrari image too, it's a bit too 'premiere league' for me, all a bit brand conscious. A classic's another matter, but I don't have Dino type dosh! Maybe a nice 308 though.... :help:

Good post and agree but I think we are mixing cars by type /use a little too much for fair comparrison.

Trevor.

I think you are underestimating other peoples skills/ability to control themselves and overestimating the GT2/GT3's want to kill. both extremely capable and fine handling cars just not to everyones taste.

Trevor.

I'm talking from personal experience. Firstly the GT3 rides so hard that its just enervating.In fact the car will jump on every road joint, bouncing from lane to lane. Absolutely not usable as a daily driver because you can't allways pay 150% attention. Though it was a terrific car when everything was right.

But, maybe I'm biased because I ended up totalling mine when the back end came around on the Autobahn at 240kph :vava:

Jesus! Lucky to be alive by the sound of it!

I've got a horrible feeling of not knowing what is best to do.

I'm talking from personal experience. Firstly the GT3 rides so hard that its just enervating.In fact the car will jump on every road joint, bouncing from lane to lane. Absolutely not usable as a daily driver because you can't allways pay 150% attention. Though it was a terrific car when everything was right.

But, maybe I'm biased because I ended up totalling mine when the back end came around on the Autobahn at 240kph :vava:

I too am speaking from personal experience and a fanatic following of the GT3/GT2 world connot be wrong surely. These cars are very rewarding when you learn to drive them properly. I seem to remember it was raining when you were doing 150mph?

Trevor

Justin, thanks for the benefit of your experience and best wishes re your deposit. I'm sure you are not alone in feeling the itch to change; certainly I have felt it.

I solved the matter 12 months ago thanks to Radium, but I'm wondering now about further tuning as my warranty only has 6 months to run. However I'm put off by the high proportion of cost in clam removal and stripping down to do anything more than inlet and exhaust. And the worry of that being needed again if something went awry. Access is a real issue.

As the Evora is not my daily driver, the other - serious - temptation that I have been saved from by it being way out of financial range, is rather different. The BAC Mono. I've been up to their works, met the guys, marvelled at the wonderful design and the quality of its construction and even made brmm, brmm noises sitting lying in it holding that steering wheel! It was pouring with rain and it was due at some show next day so they wouldn't let me drive it. Perhaps as well - I could live in a smaller house.

Edited by mdavies

Ouch... I just loosely specced a BAC up, £93K plus VAT and I'm sure there's a stack of must have things I missed! On the other hand it does look the part. :smoke:

The Mono brochure and the options and pricing material - on line, you have to register - is an experience in itself. Not recommended unless a) You can't possibly afford it or, b) You can afford it! In between, and it's a recipe for torment!

There have been lots of pics, but this link is rather different and shows some of the design process. Might be called iterative, I think!

Edited by mdavies

IMO the BAC is really missing a trick only having 1 seat. Part of the enjoyment is a toy car is taking a friend out and sharing the experience!

Stunning looking car though

Slow to catch up on this Justin. Not what I expected to read after recent e-mails!

I saw your comment re a Fezza someday. Try and forget that! :secret: I was like you until about 10~12 years ago when a mate had a new 355. Insured for me to use when I wanted, he also had a 996 C4S as his daily driver. I must have used the Fezza over 1500 miles in the 3 years he had it and he was still in the UK. It so got the whole Ferrari thing out of my system to the point I no longer lust after one and it would only ever be in a 4 or 5 car garage not a 2 car daily user like you and I use our Evoras. :w00t:

The car scared me more than once in situations when totally unexpected with its behaviour (& it is worse in somebody elses £110K car to be fish tailing up a road believe me!) when on the same road, same time, the 4S was so planted. We used to take the 2 cars and blast somewhere and then swap cars for the return journey & I always used to enjoy the Porker far more and in fact went faster and closer to cars limits then I could in Fezza. The Porker would take running water over a B road from a field like not there. The Fezza gave me heart palpatations. :no Mate felt exactly the same and he drove it more. Okay it looked like sex on wheels but more to it than that for me.

The ownership costs were horrendous even then as I used to be guy that would do him a favour and take it for services etc. so I saw all the bills. If you do more than 3K miles a year in the UK in one it is termed high mileage. He did and suffered when selling at 3 years. I was offered 1st refusal as he was emigrating to Houston and was just selling , not trading in so cheapish but not interested. Granted at the time it could only ever have been my main car and a stretch financially, but was do-able

However the worst aspect was the green envy and horrible reactions it got from people. Walking, driving, sitting in busses. Okay lots of good ones as well but never have I ever felt so hated, or spat at, or urinated on (all true) when driving my own Porshe or the Lotus. I will be eternally grateful to him for getting it out my system!! :unworthy:

Oh and the girlfriends tears. Doesn't surprise me. We had an Evoque on order for many months before even launched. Her car supposedly and specced up with everything she wanted. £45K Car. Car launched and it is a hit so we are about to take delivery of one of the most sought after cars in the UK back in January and in the highest spec possible effectively. I had tears from her for a week before as she was sad to see her 05 plate £6K Nissan Murano go and wasn't sure! Okay that didn't last long after we swapped but give me strength! :censored:

You did the right thing! I'm also considering other cars, but a run with other Lotus always helps to stay focused.

Edited by Sven76

I dunno going for a toyota after and Evora just looks a bit of a come down!

Buddsy

never have I ever felt so hated, or spat at, or urinated on (all true) when driving my own Porshe or the Lotus.

WFT, seriously, someone urinated on the car whilst you were in it!!!!! Were you stopped at traffice lights?

However the worst aspect was the green envy and horrible reactions it got from people. Walking, driving, sitting in busses. Okay lots of good ones as well but never have I ever felt so hated, or spat at, or urinated on (all true) when driving my own Porshe or the Lotus.

Sitting outside the Albert Hall waiting to collect my son, I was watching all the 'tipsy' people walking by all of these nice cars parked. I watched on two occasions the Ferrari get spat on, to much amusement with the crowds.