free hit
counters
20. United States GP ("Circuit Of The Americas") - Page 2 - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Iconic Ride

20. United States GP ("Circuit Of The Americas")

Funny John, my mental image of you was somewhat different...

main.insane.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Was there any restriction on who had access to the tower or for how long you could stay up there? Cost for additional access? Some amazing view point even if the cars do look like ants. Was that a central lift shaft the tower has as you rarely saw people on the steps during the coverage and the top always seemed rather sparsely populated.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Funny John, my mental image of you was somewhat different...

main.insane.jpg

Considering that my very first self-image post (four years ago) was of me standing in the intake of a B777 jet engine in Japan, you're probably not that far off the mark, mate. :lol:

Was there any restriction on who had access to the tower or for how long you could stay up there? Cost for additional access? Some amazing view point even if the cars do look like ants. Was that a central lift shaft the tower has as you rarely saw people on the steps during the coverage and the top always seemed rather sparsely populated.

No restrictions on access (unless a VIP entourage preempted you, as happened to Wookie, apparently). 10 minutes topside was the requested "honor system" limit, but folks possessed of reduced scruples such as moi managed to stretch it out considerably until politely run off by tower staff. My son and I were given the option of using the stairway on the way down, and no one seemed to care how long you took once leaving the main platform. Elevator ride up. Cost was $35 a pop (each), and worth every shekel, trust me.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

sports studio ..the stepper, seems cheaper for the day ..does it :D

..as for the 'imagination' factor ..my was that of a type of 'older man, retired pilot, in an armchair hanging around in front of an old english room, lots of leather-coverd books there ..and he wounders about mysteries in modern car engineering'

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Actually, the picture is of my stunt double, just prior to his BASE jump. ^_^

Yeah, the internet is like that. It harkens back to the [pre-internet] days when they would turn on the lights at closing time in the disco, and you'd find out who you were really dancing with.

I will never be confused with Sean Connery, though I've been told several times throughout my life that I resemble Mick Jagger, particularly when well overdue for a trim.

Anyway, I digress. It's my thread, and I can do that. So there.

I'm sorry to say I have no pictures of the F1 portion of the day to post up. I took only videos once the race began, and the site won't accept them. No surprise there. I suppose I could attempt to create a YouTube link, but we're dealing with a guy who can't even keep his still shots pointed north. By the time I might figure out a way to perform such magic, the Sun will have burned out.

This much is certain: My son and I had the time of our lives watching this extravaganza. The sights, the sounds (banshee wails of exquisite resonance), and the sureal physical sensation of feeling your very bones vibrate in harmony with pistons moving up and down at 18,000 rpm. There were flybys of classic aircraft, parasailing skydivers with giant flags streaming, every type of helicopter known to man buzzing about, either delivering the uber wealthy or serving as camera platforms, and musical venues to boot. I did not want to leave.

Sadly, AT&T and Vodaphone's lack of signal coverage for all 120,000 fans conspired against Wookie (Chris) and me, as we tried in vain to establish a workable rendezvous point and time. We did succeed with connecting calls earlier in the day (and I can tell you that The Wookiemeister puts on a very convincing British accent....years of practice will do that to a man) , but when logical [between races] meeting opportunites became available, the signals weren't. Next year perhaps? Our few conversations by phone served to validate that he is a remarkable person, possessing the energy levels of a teenager and the intellect of a university professor, combined with the humour of a stand up comedian. I truly look forward to actually meeting the man in person one day, should he find his way to COTA once more.

I'm also hoping he finds the time to post up his own pictures, as I'm sure that he will have had the presence of mind to have taken still photographs of at least some of the cars themselves, unlike moi. :welcome:

Edited by Iconic Ride

as simple as that -just upload your files to an 'file-host' (lots of them for free in the net) ..place the link in here in your text, and 'the world' will see what you have seen there..

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Sorry not to have posted some photos before this but I still haven't adequately sorted the 3000 snaps I took over the weekend.

Here's a taster from about lap 20 as Jensen was leaning on Bruno and asserting his seniority.

DSC_2632A.jpg

Terrific race, great town, excellent circuit...... but majorly dissapointing not to have managed to establish face to face contact with The Iconic Pridester.... maybe next year.

More next week when I return from the USA.

edit'd fer speelin mistokes.

Edited by wookie

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

Harking back to John's "Doofus" photo, this picture is more or less the same view taken at ground level about 40yds away from the tower base showing some of the elevation change at the corner........ it's steep!

DSC_0675.jpg

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

Anybody make it to Pete's Duelling Piano bar downtown? Great venue I can barely remember a night in a few years ago? It is on the main pub drag. 5th Avenue or whatever it is called.

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

"It is on the main pub drag."

Likely on 6th Street, Al. As it happens they had a "dueling pianos" duo each day at the track, near the tower. Possibly the same venue?

6th Street sounds familiar. Wasn't too much of a stagger from the Hilton that we stayed in or far from the Austin 'White House'(State capital building) . It was a great night and atmosphere and each piano was supported by a different University just to ensure the rivalry. I was amazed when I "requested" ($20 in the jar) 500 Miles by the Proclaimers and they knew it. Also how many drunks knew the words to join in as well.