free hit
counters
Cigarette lighter socket to USB conversion - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
machine7

Cigarette lighter socket to USB conversion

I recently bought a 3D printer, and so obviously started thinking of what to do with it.

One of the things that has always annoyed me with the Elise/Exige was that when you have a phone/Sat nav on the dashboard and the cable plugged into the cigarette lighter socket, it was never long before the contact was lost. The first I'd learn about that was when the low battery warning pops up on screen, which usually coincided with arriving at the destination, so no time to recharge. :thumbdown:

So I've removed my cigarette lighter socket and replaced it with USB sockets:

post-9765-0-01450700-1352831690.jpg

If there is anyone interested in doing the same let me know below and I can post up a build list, I'll probably get the printed parts on Thingyverse at some point too.

Obviously this is very easy if you have access to a 3D printer, but I know that not everyone has jumped on the band-wagon... You will, you just don't know it yet....

For those without access, I am willing to help out, but each assembly takes about 3 hours to print, so it isn't exactly mass production.

//Angus

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Very smart! Id really like a 3D printer, one day soon :)

Glad you like the idea Bibs.

They have really come down in price these past few years, so I'm sure you'll have one soon. I was lucky to be invited onto a pilot build program for my machine. So a few niggles to begin with, but free upgrades and lots of plastic to print new stuff.

I've been working on combining the key and alarm into one fob, but the buttons a being are bit recalcitrant. Just been sent some new material that is flexible when printed, so hopefully this will solve the problem.

Another thing I'd like is a glove box, but getting the profile of the beam across the car is proving tricky.

These printers are going to be so useful!

Have you any experience of printing in metal?

Awesome work

Bibs: I've only seen the metal printing on you tube. It seems good for decorative stuff, but not so much for structural items. I hope that there will be a wax material to print on a machine like mine, to be able to investment cast stuff. Not sure the neighbours would like a personal foundry in the garage though...

Cheers Gary.

Don't know if the cigarette lighter socket in an S1 is the same as in the S2 elise/exige, but it probably would take much adjustment to fit in any Lotus. The sockets seem to be pretty generic. Hoping to fit one to SWMBO's Freeloader, but as she's only just got it, I'm not sure she'll be too happy to see me removing bits of trim to get to the socket out.