free hit
counters
New to Esprit -- problem already! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
DosTurbos

New to Esprit -- problem already!

In the cold start, the car idles ok no smokes except a moisture smokes when cold. When it gets hot, the passenger side exhaust start smoking (blue smokes not white). The other bank exhaust has no smokes at all.

When I run the car, no smokes at all but when I idle & stop for awhile, I can see start smoking.

I took all the sparkplug out, they are very good (tan color) very dry - no oil or soot. The compression are ranging from 150 - 140 - 135psi. I left the gauge for 5 minutes in each cylinder to see if its leaking but they are all good and the pressure remained the same.

Can you suggest?

Thank you

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Perhaps the turbo bearing on that side?

Trevor.

Thanks for the quick reply.

How can I check the turbo if its leaking? Will the turbo show some visible leak at the turbine housing?

I would pull the hose from the inlet side and see if there is oils sitting in the turbo and also feel how much raial play there is. If it feels excessive then that's probably your problem.

Trevor.

depends on type of bearing system, the 'floating' shaft (old style) turbine will have some slight play, so you can't say in general that it's worn (ball bearing turbos are an different world, but both types are in use within the Lotus V8 comunity .)

for me it would be with an simple experiment/running test:

-just to get sure ..undo not alone the intake pipe on the suspected turbo (comming from the aircleaner element on that engine side higher up) , more so undo both air-cleaner boxes to see if -and how much- oil is there blown by in the crankcase ports ..if both sides look equal and there is not much oil in it (we don't now at least how old your car is, and what was done with it..) ..if there is not much oil you can expect that therefore not much oil is allready burned within the combustion process on both cylinder banks. The oily smoke must come from somewhee else. So if there is no leaking valve stems, as we hope, the most possible cause can indeed be bearing on the turbine shaft interacting with the turbo oil-feed, if this gets its oil and the bearing gives to much 'play' and your engine is heated up but does only idles for the moment (so no fast spinning), the forces on the turbine shaft are not good enogh to hold it in the right position within the bearing ..and "it drobs or 'falls' down in its position" and oil leaks out to much ..if those are the right words in English.

You can even fit an temporarly tube/pipe thing, something with the right dimension ..just up the way to the top of your engine bay. Clamp it to the intake port of the turbine lower down there, to prevent the turbo from getting stones into it or something, this way you block off all oil that was maybe within the the air feed from the air-cleaner housing.

If your temporarly fitted pipe is now filled with fresh oily moistures, or running full of oil after an spirted run ..and this engine was idling & smokin afterwars (as you have discribed) -you can guess that's comming there from the leaking bearing on the turbo oil feed

Edited by Günter

Swap turbos to confirm or eliminate the passenger side one. Unless you can do it yourself this could be expensive.

I left the gauge for 5 minutes in each cylinder to see if its leaking but they are all good and the pressure remained the same.

There's a valve inside the gauge to stop leak back so it would stay the same.

My bad....that's right there is valve ... stupid me!

Anyway, I removed the hose at the compressor side and wiggled the shaft up and down and the gap is minimal.

However, when I wiggled it side by side, the gap much bigger but I did not see any touch of oil in the compressor side.

Perhaps the oil sipping out at the other housing (turbine housing) and directly goes to the exhaust. I can't prove it unless I remove the

exhaust pipe.

Thank you

There's a valve inside the gauge to stop leak back so it would stay the same.

Are there any witness marks on the inside of the housing indicating contact with the compressor? Does it spin freely and feel smooth? Compare one side to the other turbo.

Trevor.

Yeah, there is a small contact on the upper side only.... say at 3 oclock. It does spin freely but I can't tell if the hi-pitch sound I'm

hearing at the highway was the turbo touching a little bit at 3 oclock. I took a mirror and looked for contact, the blade should not touch the housing but must be at least 006 (thousand) from the wall....right?

The blade contour seems dented and some meat scraped out......I think I have to take the exhaust at the turbine to exactly pinpoint the problem.

Gunter also mentioned to look at the hose from the breather (going to air cleaner)?

Are there any witness marks on the inside of the housing indicating contact with the compressor? Does it spin freely and feel smooth? Compare one side to the other turbo.

Trevor.

What I mentioned it to find out if this oil is going the direct way -from Turbo bearing to exhaust pipe ..or if it is oil that comes from the ventilation and gets all the way from the related cylinder-bank (every bank has its own breathing) into the air-filter system.

You say that the intake pipe & port on the turbo is dry ..so *on the lucky side* it can be only the turbo to recore (some have done the replacement of the centre section in DIY, but in UK there is a company Turbo-technics as you can read within the forum). So good luck, what ever comes out there

Yes Gunter the compressor inlet are very dry and no touch of oil. Since taking the turbine out to check the leaking oil involves a good amount of work,

I will probably do it in the middle of winter. I will check the ventilation route also and see if there's oil on the hoses or at the air cleaner.

Another question: what about that blue hose of IAT (idle air), can oil gets into the blue hose then to the intake pipe to the plenum? That blue hose is connected to the intake pipe (on passenger side). Passenger exhaust side is where the smoke coming out. Thank you

you only need to cut the three, mostly rotten studs for now ..on the exhaust pipe that goes to the catalyst..

you can look inside and even run the engine on idle to inspect what goes there out with the flames ..if it is only exhaust gas, or real blueish smoke from fresh oil dripping

I have not look inside the turbine yet - I think that's my ultimate way of finding the source of the problem. It's hard to work when

the temperature is 30 degrees -- sometimes I will pursue removing the exhaust.

Anyway...I have another question, can you comment on putting a "oil catch tank" between the breather and the air cleaner?

some owners do it, as for the 'problems' the ECM can create if your emissions rise.

To much oil-contamination within the plenum chamber is not good. This oil moisture gets fired up in the combustion chamber as your engine runs and gets hot, but the content of it in the air-fuel mixture is not calculated as real 'fuel' ..so the amount varies and can not be controlled directly

-all what the ECM does is sensing strange levels of HC within the exhaust (see the lamda probes [or O2sensors as it is called sometimes] )

..those signalise that the combustion was slightly rich, as if it would be to much petrol within the combustion rocess ...but instead it is just oil moisture that causes irritations in the engine-control.

..30 degrees is good, as I have only -5 in the night over here :D

Edited by Günter

Well, I have not open my exhaust turbine side yet but yesterday I tried to idle, again after 15 minutes of idling.... one side of the exhaust starts smoking. I turn the ignition off and check the crankcase ventilation hose (passenger side), a few drops of oil came out of the hose. The inside of the hose is wet with oil. The other crankcase ventilation hose is dry.

Tomorrow, I will cap the hose to the air cleaner but i will let the crankcase ventilation hose open. I will start and idle the car again. If the smokes disappear then it's the oil coming out from crankcase ventilation was the problem.

Edited by DosTurbos

at least one turbo needs a rebuild. I had the same problem. I left it idling for 2 minutes and, oh boy did is start to smoke, a whole cloud of white smoke, could not see the car anymo..... I kept on driving and no smoke while driving.