free hit
counters
Can't work it out? - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
graham.217

Can't work it out?

Still restoring my 1985 S3 Turbo. Time, the economy, price of parts, its a labour of love.

I have two rubber hoses coming come from my inlet manifold (vacuum pipe) one goes to the brake master cylinder. That's the easy one to work out, however the other one goes round and up to the top of the drivers side fuel tank, where it splits with a T piece, one hose carries on to a round dome shaped object that sits above the fuel tank and the other part of the T'd pipe goes around above the offside window and appears to go into the cabin. Any ideas of what the dome shaped object does and where the other pipe goes to, before I start pulling things apart when I might not need to. I will try and post some pictures soon!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The tanks is a "reservoir" to provide vacuum at times when the engine isn't doing. An NA car normally provides some level of negative pressure (vacuum) at all times but the turbo has positive pressure (relative to atmosphere) when boosting, so you need some way of covering those times.

That reservoir has the "supply" which you've already found connects to the engine and one pipe to the cabin to operate the heater/ventilation system. The system is achieved by vacuum solenoids controlled by cable operated valves.

Cheers mate that answers a few questions.

On another note does anybody know anybody that does carb tuning and balancing near to the Luton area? I don't mind paying including travelling time as would like to get engine running properly before I put engine bay back together again and start on brakes and interior.

Sparky is a carb legend, based in Watford. He's travelled to the USA and Norway to fix cars but Luton may be questionable for him! :lol:

Jokes, pop him a PM :)

Jeeez, Luton? That's, like, the other side of the world, man. Not sure we fly there...