free hit
counters
Peter Stevens Perhaps? - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Does this mean Wayne owns Ferrari on these days :P:P:P

Technically the Dino 246 GTS isnt a Ferrari! :lol:

Story goes Enzo didnt think anything with 6 cylinders was worthy of the Ferrari badge, so the 6 cylinder (and the 308GT4 carried the Dino (his sons name)badge.

Yes Tony, those are beer cans! :P

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to lean toward liking the original of most designs. I like the LP400 Countach over the later cars. Same with the 365BB vs. 512BBi. 308 over 328. The spoilers, ground effects, etc. that get added on over the years are, to me, "tacked on".

There should be no doubt at this point in time which my favorite Esprit is . . . :lol:

But my second favorite is an early Stevens. The glass hatch, 7-spoke wheels, rectangular tail lights, etc. . . it all goes together so nicely. It has a wholeness about it. I'm torn between the 1988 with its tapered sills and no spoiler or the 1989 SE with its subtle spoiler and straight sills.

I am still having a difficult time accepting the updates made to the later cars, especially the round tail lights. To each his own! :P

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I've always been a bit anti-Ferrari as they were the main competition to Lotus in Formula 1 when I first got interested in racing and Lotus. Having said that, I have always loved the looks of the Dino and the 308 is pretty nice too but I tended to prefer the Lamborghini equivalent, the Urracco. That's another car that got uglier as it got developed through the Jalpa and Silhouette. It's like Toledo Tony says, too many bits tacked on. I prefer integrated clean shapes like the original McLaren F1 over the later, be-spoilered versions like the GTR.

Perhaps that's the real reason they are called spoilers. It's not what they do to the air. It's what they do to the looks!

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Technically the Dino 246 GTS isnt a Ferrari! :P

Story goes Enzo didnt think anything with 6 cylinders was worthy of the Ferrari badge, so the 6 cylinder (and the 308GT4 carried the Dino (his sons name)badge.

Yes Tony, those are beer cans! :lol:

So you own a Dino 246GTS these days :P I never believed to witness: Wayne has a Ferrari....alright "baby Ferrari" :P

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

No I dont have an Aston-Martin. :lol:

The ones I had around belonged to the Ford Motor Company.

I am thinking about a new Vantage though, I love that car :P

LB-Aston_Martin_V8_V_94931i.jpg

I know what you mean i have to look at the boss's car every day.

It sound as good as it looks.

Mate of mine has just sold his 2006 Vantage, because it was to slow! Just replaced it with a black Ferrari 430. Total swine, made me feel a bit sick when I found out. Personally I would have kept the Aston. Don't like the look of those over designed 430's.

I am thinking about a new Vantage though, I love that car :lol:

LB-Aston_Martin_V8_V_94931i.jpg

OK I'll enter the debate - As a G owner and having owned almost exclusively Italian Automobilli I always preferred Giugiaros styling. The early Stevens shape for me was too 'Jelly-Mould' and a little bland however when the S4S came out it started to grab my attention again and I would definately buy a Sport300 or Sport350 given the opportunity.

As far as Fezzas' go - Have to say I've always loved the 308 - but you have to have the Deep Front Spoiler and 16" Speedlines to make it look at its best! Having said that my mate Paul with Essex No.17 had a 308 Quattrovalole for a comparison test in Classic and Sportscar about 10 years ago and he still says it was the most disappointing thing he has driven. Build quality was naff and the Esprit ran rings around it through the twisties!

I agree that usually the first design of most cars is usually the best.........As far as other great designers I'd have to shout BERTONE! especially given that I've had a few Bertone-penned designs (including 7 X1/9's!!) and actually met him in 1994!

Just re: Astons and the like - I live pretty near both the Aston factory at Gaydon and the Jaguar works so Vantages and XKR's are 10-a-penny round here!! :lol:

Edited by nello

I was just at Lotus PBC (Don't ask why :mellow: Everything seems to be collapsing around me lately, the brakes on the Chev even went out on the way back :mellow: But I'll prob. have the car back within a week)

...anyway... they had more S1s than I've ever seen in one place before. Like, 5. Made me remember how great they look, and how much I'll miss any picspam by Tony K for a while :blink:

Also made me think something Wayne alluded to... S cars can get away with being a little dirty... but if G cars aren't absolutely pristine, they look like pieces of neglected junk.

I'm still in the G camp though, but if I ever get too lazy to wash the thing you'll see me in an S4s :blink:

and speaking of Wayne...

actually speaking of his Ferrari...

WOW! B)

Edited by slade

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

• 4 weeks later...
I was just at Lotus PBC (Don't ask why :) Everything seems to be collapsing around me lately, the brakes on the Chev even went out on the way back :P But I'll prob. have the car back within a week)

...anyway... they had more S1s than I've ever seen in one place before. Like, 5. Made me remember how great they look, and how much I'll miss any picspam by Tony K for a while :)

Also made me think something Wayne alluded to... S cars can get away with being a little dirty... but if G cars aren't absolutely pristine, they look like pieces of neglected junk.

I'm still in the G camp though, but if I ever get too lazy to wash the thing you'll see me in an S4s :)

and speaking of Wayne...

actually speaking of his Ferrari...

WOW! B)

ditto

• 2 weeks later...

Not wanting to start a punch up....

BUT!

:D

I think that the G-Car looked it's best as the Turbo.... The Countach as the Anniversary... I love the 328... I love the Vanquish... I prefer the S4s to the x180 I think the GTR34 looks like the work of the devil himself... etc etc etc To me, the evolutions of the styling usually add beefiness and completion. :D

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Not wanting to start a punch up....

BUT!

:)

I think that the G-Car looked it's best as the Turbo.... The Countach as the Anniversary... I love the 328... I love the Vanquish... I prefer the S4s to the x180 I think the GTR34 looks like the work of the devil himself... etc etc etc To me, the evolutions of the styling usually add beefiness and completion. :P

Wheres me old boxing gloves? :)

istockphoto_401994_old_boxing_gloves_under_light_1.jpg

Right Fishy me boyo! :(

Round 1

The best looking Esprit is of course the pure unadorned S1. It best reflects the dramatic style of Giugiaros original concept car.

1979_Esprit_S1.jpg

Round 2

Ditto the Countach, the LP400s shape is best uncluttered by spoilers, daft wing (that slows it down) huge flairs , the awful Vitaloni mirrors etc. etc.

LP400_7.jpg

Round 3

They really messed up the 308 GTB when they converted it to the 328 what was Pininfarina thinking?(about the $$$$)

308GTB.jpg

Round 4

Ian Callum fixed his dumpy,chubby Vanquish with the beautiful lithe and sleek DB9, redeaming himself nicely.

DB9.jpg

Round 5

The Stevens actually didnt look that bad as the X180 The front valance and sill panels actually look like they were designed by the guy that did the rest the car.

88_lotus_450-2.jpg

Knockout

The Skyline looks like a tarted up 80s Datsun Bluebird. :P:(:P

DatsunBluebird.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg
They really messed up the 308 GTB when they converted it to the 328 what was Pininfarina thinking?(about the $$$$)

Wayne is right!!! :angry:

(but I like skylines :angry:) Michelotti did an amazing one

sky1_01.jpg

(only other pic I could find :lol:)

28cb76de.jpg

No kit for the Fish :angry:

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

...I knew it looked similar to something, but I couldn't remember what :angry:

(nor did I remember that G man did it B))

Nice selection WayneB! There's just something very special about elegant and un-spoilered mid-engined cars. I have a certain amount of time for Giugiaro's BMW M1 for the same reason.

.... although the NSX doesn't push my buttons at all. How did they take a fantastic car and make it look so dull?

Edited by Lowtus