free hit
counters
Increased Brand Visibility - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Increased Brand Visibility

Lotus F1 and Kimi have recently won a race.

Lotus Evoras will be featured in the upcoming movie "The Host" based on a book written by Twilight author Stephanie Meyers so no doubt a billion young women will see it.

During the SPEED broadcast of the USGP (and the practice and qualifying sessions) there were a number of Unilever ads promoting several of their products and featuring the Lotus F1 team.

Will all of this have a halo effect on Lotus as a brand and result in increased sales?

Kyle Kaulback

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think any news that doesn't involve firing someone or cancelling cars is a good thing. It's nice that Lotus F1 has been having a good year too (other then some of Grosjean's incidents). I was surprised to see commercials with the Lotus F1 partners and it's definitely one more thing to get the name out there. I just wish there was some involvement from Lotus Cars. There's a lot of people that look at me like I'm daft when I say my Esprit is a Lotus, they have no idea who they are and the commercials do nothing to expose people the car side of Lotus. It doesn't help that Lotus only has the Evora here in the US.

First I heard of the "The Host", checked out the trailer and looks like they've got a chromed out Evora in it, should get people asking "What car is that?"

'86 Lotus Esprit Turbo

I'm sure there will be a time in the near future when Lotus will dream of this sort of publicity, but can't afford to pay for it. They really should be leveraging what's available right now.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

That video has 41,000 views my Tuned video has over 1,098,100 views maybe Lotus should give up their F1 marketing and stick to street cars, you know the cars they are tryin to sell...

Let's see how many views my 211 project gets..

I think it's fast enough…maybe

maybe Lotus should give up their F1 marketing and stick to street cars, you know the cars they are tryin to sell...

Why should they give up F1, for Group Lotus it's entirely free.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I think F1 gets a little more exposure that your car mate but I'm not sure either channel sells roads cars for them!

Evora NA

I guess the numbers lie... Lotus decals on a car that is not a Lotus is proper marketing in Bizzaro world.

Hey what ever happened to the director of marketing Swizzle Stick and all the brand visibility he was responsible for ?

Count the views..

http://www.youtube.com/results?client=safari&rls=en&q=swizz+beatz+lotus&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=w1

Edited by ronin

• Gold FFM

put his (Mr. Swizzl dick) ..wife up in ronins car ..this gives views from both sides

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

You have to add the views of everyone that saw the commercials repeatedly during SPEED's coverage of the F1 race if you want to use youtube views as a basis for advertising. I doubt too many people log on to youtube to watch a commercial about a deodorant.

I just think it would have been nice if they could have snuck one of the Evora race cars in somehow. But as Bibs said it's all free for Group Lotus, so any exposure to the name ain't bad.

'86 Lotus Esprit Turbo

• Gold FFM

at least ..the silver Evoras are from 'the bad guys' ..right ?

So not the type of identification with the main character/hero , as in Mission Impossible, The Transporter and so on (even 007)

• Gold FFM

Lotus cokies, Lotus BBQ.. Lotus soap ..here is lots more out there

1.600,000,000 people watch F1, they all saw a chap wearing a green and yellow Lotus badge drive a car they were told is called a Lotus to victory last weekend.

2. An Exige which has cost a mental American a small fortune to carve up canyons is about as accessible as an F1 car to them.

Just saying...

Evora NA

and yet over 1,000,000 people have watched a single video of a "real Lotus" car used in the real world by real people, sure the owner is mental but any mental Lotus owner could get the same performance for much less if they wanted....

I've never watched a full F1 race and I know I never bought a car because some fool in marketing put a sticker a race car...

Much like I don't buy Red Bull because it's on some race car....

F1 sells nothing but F1 as I see it......Boring

and for christ sake ya gotta win something, no one remembers the losser, what's his name..

Edited by ronin

Red Bull is worth billions, they don't even make the drink, in fact they don't make anything but money! Someone, somewhere is cleverer than all us put together!!

Evora NA

Tuned is an online TV show which folk subscribe to and share, they check in to see all the videos of many cars, but a click doesn't equal a full watch, nor do these extreme vehicles act as marketing for the progenitor car as they are morphed into something else.

When I watched the GP on sunday the name Lotus was said loads of times along with visual of the car and the associated logos. Thats good marketing, bucket loads of people being exposed to your brand in a good way. Just cos Mercedes didnt finish top doesnt mean I think mercedes are shit or I forget about them. Yet I still know they were in the race and they make F1 cars.

mental performance in an extreme tuned vehicle does not = appealing to the masses

its the masses that buy the cars to keep car companies going

not the mentallists

and yet over 1,000,000 people have watched a single video of a "real Lotus" car used in the real world by real people, sure the owner is mental but any mental Lotus owner could get the same performance for much less if they wanted....

I've never watched a full F1 race and I know I never bought a car because some fool in marketing put a sticker a race car...

Much like I don't buy Red Bull because it's on some race car....

and for christ sake ya gotta win something, no one remembers the losser, what's his name..

As a kid I read Motor Sport and followed the exploits of Lotus and Hill and Clark - a couple of weeks back I bought a Lotus......

Maybe that's true in the US but there's a whole wide world out there and F1 races in most of it.

Lotus is synonymous with F1, from the green and yellow car of Jim Clark, the Gold Leaf of Graham Hill to Senna's JPS. Lotus heritage IS F1, that's what the brand is all about, lightness, supreme handling, it's all race bred F1 goodness.

That's the heritage, IMO if Lotus want to do more than just survive they need to be there.

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Dude there is no Lotus racing in F1 it's just a sticker.... Lotus do not build an F1 car as for marketing I never bought a Benz, Porsche, Audi, Ferrari or Lambo because of F1 marketing.

Sportscar racing yes F1 nope.. New buyers aren't living in the past..

Sure it's sticker marketing but it's on a vast global scale and at least Lotus have the heritage to back up their presence in F1. I'd love to see them on a par with McLaren, building their own cars and producing super cars but Lotus have a long way to go on both fronts. Right now they need to start building and selling cars, you can't beat F1 for raising a brands profile globally.

For the record my love of all things Lotus is firmly wrapped up in their F1 heritage so at least I fell for it!

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Sportscar racing yes F1 nope.. New buyers aren't living in the past..

They also aren't all living in the U.S.A. It is completely specious reasoning to say that F1 has no marketing value because a YouTube video entiltled "Real Lotus" has 1+ million views.

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

They also aren't all living in the U.S.A. It is completely specious reasoning to say that F1 has no marketing value because a YouTube video entiltled "Real Lotus" has 1+ million views.

I guess reading skills are lacking due to branding blindness eh ? More Lotus were sold in the US than any other country up until the Elise lost it's exemption.

Try taking a poll and see if Lotus buyers under the age of 50 bought a Lotus because of some past 1970"s Lotus F1 win or some current Lotus branded car losing every race entered..

Unfortunately those were the cars Lotus never made money selling.

Worldwide the Lous brand has profited greatly through the F1 branding. Car buyers are F1 watchers, that's why 2/3 ads in the commercial breaks are rom car and tire manufacturers. Lotus is getting the same public attention FOR FREE and doing very well in F1. Kimi is worth every cent, just look at the publicitiy his Leave me alone" message got.

For the US wasn't it Mario Andretti who opened the track at COTA just 2 weeks ago, driving a LOTUS?

Oh, and regarding "Real Lotus", you're up there with the Kardashians. They get a lot of viewers too, but would you want to marry one?

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

It's a brand licensing deal that just happens to have no cash changing hands. I don't see what the issue is.

I bet Puma or Tods pay Ferrari a small fortune to use the name on their shoes. The Lotus team are able to attract sponsors because they use the Lotus brand and Lotus gets its name on television and in the press. It seems win-win to me.

In the end it's all to do with brand awareness, which is right at the front of any purchasing decision. Awareness doesn't create a sale, but without it you won't sell much. Any marketer will tell you that you need to be doing something at each stage of the chain (AIDA or related models). Having a conversation comparing actions at one stage with things at another is pointless - you need them all to work together. Bahar understood this hence the effort to control the brand positioning. Poor licensing can ruin a brand.

Group Lotus now need to get some product available.

As for selling more in the US - yes, that is important but profit is margin x volume and I struggle to see how margin can be high given how cheap cars are in the US. Will the volume counter that weakness? Don't know but it's easy enough for Lotus to model.

I bet the reason the first Exige S's are all LHD is that they're going to high-margin markets. Given the exchange rates I doubt the UK is one of those.