free hit
counters
Pilots - Page 11 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Enjoy:

RULES OF THE AIR 

(from Australian Air Force magazine): 

Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory. 

If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again. 

Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous. 

It's always better to be down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here. 

The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire. 

The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating. 

When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No one has ever collided with the sky. 

A 'good' landing is one from which you can walk away. A 'great' landing is one after which they can use the plane again. 

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself. 

You know you've landed with the wheels up if it takes full power to taxi to the ramp. 

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival. Large angle of arrival, small probability of survival and vice versa. 

Never let an aircraft take you somewhere your brain didn't get to five minutes earlier. 

Stay out of clouds. The silver lining everyone keeps talking about might be another airplane going in the opposite direction. Reliable sources also report that mountains have been known to hide out in clouds. 

Always try to keep the number of landings you make equal to the number of take offs you've made. 

There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately no one knows what they are. 

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience.  The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck. 

Helicopters can't fly; they're just so ugly the earth repels them. 

If all you can see out of the window is ground that's going round and round and all you can hear is commotion coming from the passenger compartment, things are not at all as they should be. 

In the ongoing battle between objects made of aluminum going hundreds of miles per hour and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose. 

Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgment. 

It's always a good idea to keep the pointy end going forward as much as possible. 

Keep looking around. There's always something you've missed. 

Remember, gravity is not just a good idea. It's the law. And it's not subject to repeal. 

The three most useless things to a pilot are the altitude above you, the runway behind you and a tenth of a second ago. 

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There are, however, no old bold pilots. 

Accidents usually follow the simultaneous combination of running out of airspeed, altitude, and ideas. 

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Latest magnificent machine, not flown it yet, will wait for ideal conditions for the first one.  

Just back from a two day trip. Gatwick-Catania-Gatwick-Madrid-Gatwick-Milan Malpensa-Gatwick. Saw the international Space station last night... You can even see the curvature of Earth from 38

Posted Images

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Not sure I'd want to fly into a cloud with a mountain right out the front window!! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cool... :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Like 1

Evora NA

• 4 weeks later...

I landed at Gatwick a couple of hours ago.. You wouldn't believe how busy it is up there at 23.46 on a Friday night!!

This was a shot of the skies a few days ago. I was on a Madrid nighstop checking where the jet I'd be flying later was...

How many aircraft?!!

post-15194-0-65150800-1438997386.jpg

It's a matter of debate and approach, but there are probably between 300,000 and half a million people zooming through the stratosphere at any one time.....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...

Evora NA

Some stunts you get away with (and are qualified to do) other people shouldn't attempt such things (and take needless risks with their crews) ...... 

How do you even begin to compehend the physics of this?

<div id="fb-root"></div><script>(function(d, s, id) {  var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];  if (d.getElementById(id)) return;  js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;  js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_GB/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3";  fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-post" data-href="

de0a29c0e2ee86d319202e417d70c2e8 data-width="500"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite="

de0a29c0e2ee86d319202e417d70c2e8 >Posted by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/richard.parramint">Richard Parramint</a> on&nbsp;<a href="

de0a29c0e2ee86d319202e417d70c2e8 >Tuesday, 1 September 2015</a></blockquote></div></div>

Evora NA

I've seen a fair bit of this and think it's stupidity on the highest level to stand that close let alone next to a road. Super dangerous and if you google injuries from this sort of thing they are horrendous as you would imagine.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

No matter how good he thinks he is I could see someone losing and eye -at the blink of an eye- with those sudden jerky movements

I also felt annoyed by those movements and felt it was a giant wasp that needed swatting !!!   :2guns:

The "toy helicopter" thing is a complete fake. It's a very good piece of digital manipulation, but not in any sense a real flight.

The B707 barrel roll, however, is perfectly true. The secret of doing a decent barrel roll...and I'd been messing them up for years, sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn't...was revealed to me by 'Bob' Thompson, after I fell out of yet another. He said "You look along the axis of the roll..." So bloomin' obvious.....don't look out the front, look along the roll axis; then you can see what's really going on...

The Concorde training programme for its introduction to airline service always involved rolling the aeroplane. The test pilot doing the conversion would demonstrate a roll, and then the "student" would do one too. A great way to show that it was, really, "just another aeroplane".

It's called 3D flying and I've seen it in person a few times, it's very impressive and very real. 

Evora NA

I can understand why Molemot thought it wasn't real as some things that can be done just don't look possible. This guy I've seen on video a few times and never fails to impress.

Trevor.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PptMrBFAO-A

I'll get around to it at some point.

There are some bits that get a wee bit repetitive & there must be some complete nut jobs doing some of this flying. :scared: Try pausing during some of the really low ones! They can't have much imagination!  Mind you what a buzz!  I remember being down in the Falklands and seeing some spectacular low passes from the Buccaneers based at Gibraltar on the way down when they came past below our Bridge windows (Merchant ship) but some here are even lower.  :unworthy:

Low passes in big boys toys here

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Speaking of Falklands and low flying, there was the case of the F4 that was snagged by maintenance when it landed with a cable wrapped round the fin and ingested into one of the engines.

The cable was apparently a radio ham's antenna that he had flown through. Given that the highest part of the antenna was less than 30 feet....

RAF inspectors turned up, checked the damage and denied all knowledge of any 'fly past'. Unfortunately the farmers wife had captured the event on film. Analysis of the photo estimated a height of less than 10 ft AGL and the PIC was shipped home very shortly after.

F4SDI.jpg

• Like 1

Good effort :D

Nice vid of my favourite ever aircraft :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Evora NA

• 2 weeks later...

CPRj0pPXAAAcVft.jpg

• Like 1

Evora NA

• 1 month later...