free hit
counters
Pilots - Page 13 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Latest magnificent machine, not flown it yet, will wait for ideal conditions for the first one.  

Just back from a two day trip. Gatwick-Catania-Gatwick-Madrid-Gatwick-Milan Malpensa-Gatwick. Saw the international Space station last night... You can even see the curvature of Earth from 38

Posted Images

I'm not a pilot, but I must admit it always made sense to see the controls directly in front of the pilot. Not a joystick off to the side.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I took this photo back in the 80's (my old Air Force days).  This 'Pilot' was testing the Sabre after some rework, doing mostly low level (sub 500ft) passes mostly.  What was the use of the parachute...

RAAF Sabre2400.jpg

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

If it all went to ratshit, zoom and boom....convert speed to altitude and then bang out!! Not sure about ejection survivability at low level in Sabres.... The seats I sat in were zero feet, 90 knots. Needed the forward speed to deploy the parachute.... modern rocket seats are better.

There's an awful lot of writing on that aeroplane!! Nearly every panel has a placard...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 4 months later...
  • Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
17 hours ago, comem47 said:

I gotta know. How many gallons/sec lit up like that?  :lol:

OK, here goes with the mathematical/scientific bit.

On afterburners, the combined thrust of both engines on a Eurofighter Typhoon is 180kN. Fuel consumption (measured by weight rather than by volume) in this configuration is approximately 50g/kNs so the total fuel burn is 180 x 0.05 = 9kg/s. At 15°C (59°F) 1 litre of Jet A-1 weighs 0.8kg, so that's 11.25 litres or roughly 3 US Gallons per second. With the throttles wide open, the aircraft's entire fuel load (4.5 tonnes/1450 US Gallons) would be gone in just over 8 minutes, :o .

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Alfa2Evora said:

the aircraft's entire fuel load (4.5 tonnes/1450 US Gallons) would be gone in just over 8 minutes, :o .

So...the entire video runs 7:38, and appears to be in afterburner the entire time (albeit at occasionally reduced levels, based on flame levels perceived), and does not show a landing. Was the final moonshot maneuver a setup for the deadstick landing or to punch out?

If punching out is factored in, the cost of the airshow increases somewhat, to the tune of: 

Unit cost
€90 million (system cost Tranche 3A)[5]
£125m (including development + production costs)[6]

And still worth every farthing!:thumbsup:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1 April 2016 at 03:22, ramjet said:

I'm not a pilot, but I must admit it always made sense to see the controls directly in front of the pilot. Not a joystick off to the side.

Weird at first, but you get used to it and then it's a non event. Also having a pull out table is very useful! Especially when you fly it 5 days a week and need to occasionally eat!!  Its good... VERY good!! ?

EAT? Any one would think you guys were important! What about us poor lot back in cattle class? :P 

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

• Gold FFM

Have you been able to catch any Pokemon whilst flying? After all, once on autopilot you need to do something to while away the time!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Sudoku on his pull out in-flight tray?

On 9/2/2016 at 01:36, C8RKH said:

After all, once on autopilot you need to do something to while away the time!

This is why it's important to always be up to date on current events, political brouhahas, religious leanings, various philosophical arguments about the meaning of life, and the physical attributes of the blonde in seat 3A in order to pass the time during meals.B-)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• Gold FFM

I'm usually in seat 3A talking to the blonde with attributes in seat 3B ;)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Talking to the blonde, studying the attributes!

• 2 weeks later...

14322311_1810659065834403_70323453674478

Evora NA

When you have a missile locked on and are out of flares....still one thing left to try.....(!)

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Not sure the navigator would agree :lol:

• Like 1

Evora NA

• Gold FFM

Pah, who needs a navigator! It's that way ===>

DSC_0117.jpg

£27,500 as is....permit has just expired...new permit etc. would add to the price. 300+ engine hours left..... Dribble dribble... 

Then, it's the over £600 per hour that clobbers it. 

http://www.platinumclassicaircraft.co.uk/jet-provost-t-mk5a/

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

@molemot

Why oh why oh why did you have to go and post that John?

XW433 seemed awfully familiar so off I've been to look through some of my early logbooks and sure enough, that's the very aircraft that I completed my first jet solo in with 3FTS at RAF Leeming way back in 1976.

Now you've got my man-maths working overtime and SWMBO is not exactly ecstatic, :rolleyes: , at least not so soon after the 'surprise' acquisition of the Evora.