free hit
counters
Pilots - Page 14 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

6 hours ago, Alfa2Evora said:

@molemot

Why oh why oh why did you have to go and post that John?

XW433 seemed awfully familiar so off I've been to look through some of my early logbooks and sure enough, that's the very aircraft that I completed my first jet solo in with 3FTS at RAF Leeming way back in 1976.

Now you've got my man-maths working overtime and SWMBO is not exactly ecstatic, :rolleyes: , at least not so soon after the 'surprise' acquisition of the Evora.

I did mine on a JP3 at Linton in 1971... always liked the Mk5, makes an excellent personal jet. I had a hand in a Mk4 in the 1990s; they go really well, same engine as a 5 but none of the power sapping pressurisation. Remember the way the alarms used to sound as you climbed and the pressurisation cycled?? Always wanted to try the Mk5 version of the Strikemaster, but never had a chance. £27,500......you could put that on a credit card.....

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Latest magnificent machine, not flown it yet, will wait for ideal conditions for the first one.  

Just back from a two day trip. Gatwick-Catania-Gatwick-Madrid-Gatwick-Milan Malpensa-Gatwick. Saw the international Space station last night... You can even see the curvature of Earth from 38

Posted Images

You 2 go halves and I'll keep it running for you :D

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Has it got guns? :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

A real man's project plane...

Image result for humorous plane images

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Has it got guns? :D

Evora NA

Jeeze, Bibs. You've got the makin's of a bonafide Texan in you.:lol:

• Like 1

The Strikemaster has....hard points for bombs too...

Image result for bac strikemaster with weapons

But not all at once!!!

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, molemot said:

The Strikemaster has....hard points for bombs too...

Image result for bac strikemaster with weapons

But not all at once!!!

I've just spent the last few minutes playing "Name that car", and sadly I think I've got them all.  Apart from the 2 FIATS, they're all British - changed days now, eh?

Can't remember if I've posted about this before...but Colin Hales and his home made KR-2 "Itzy"...with her crew of stuffed bears...has made it across Russia, and is now getting his visa for China. Well worth a look... a true epic of modern aviation; shows that this stuff can still be done. Oh yes....he's going westabout, has already done the Atlantic and the USA and the crossing from Alaska...

http://www.kr2worldtour.com/

Itzy Specifications

web-photos-167-e1435465380259.jpg

• Like 2

Gives new meaning to the term "wing loading," don't it?:)

Certainly does...and all that, including the bicycle, fits inside!!! His continuing tale is well worth reading, transferring fuel from bladders at what he describes as "flight level Sputnik"....the help he has got from the Russians he has encountered could surprise many, but people are people wherever you go.

7 hours ago, molemot said:

..the help he has got from the Russians he has encountered could surprise many, but people are people wherever you go.

Having spoken to Russian ATC Controllers (briefly...and lord am I glad that English is the international language of aviation, and not Russian!:lol:) whilst flying over Siberia during an Atlanta-Tokyo leg many years back, I can vouch for that observation. Heck, even the "commie" Cuban controllers (Atlanta-Cayman Islands leg) were perfect gentleman...and this was before relations improved.

We need more integrated endeavours such as space flight, international aviation cooperation, and the Olympics (drug issues notwithstanding) to show that we are all in this together on this large rock.

• Like 1

Undoubtedly. There's nowhere else to go.... Whilst playing at being an Immigration Officer at Terminal 4, Heathrow, we had the Aeroflot service from Moscow, so I met quite a few Russians...this was in the late 90s. Chaps from the Embassy and various people they were meeting, as well as the usual passengers. Indistinguishable from the rest of us and, despite rumours to the contrary, no snow on their boots!! Even had the Commander of the Russian Rocket Forces arriving for a NATO conference ....I did ask him where his missiles were currently targeted and we both had a chuckle!!

• Like 1

:blink:

Evora NA

• Gold FFM
  • Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

The "Skylon" concept and SABRE engine seems to be garnering more support...now the Brexiteers may have kyboshed the EU funding, perhaps this will carry the project forward?

As part of its pursuit of breakthrough propulsion systems for high-speed flight and potential access to space, the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) has spent more than two years studying the novel air-breathing rocket engine system concept invented by UK-based Reaction Engines Ltd. AFRL’s studies of the Synergetic Air-Breathing Rocket Engine (SABRE) cycle, which uses atmospheric oxygen and liquid hydrogen from a standing start to above Mach 5 when it switches to onboard liquid oxygen, have shown the concept is thermodynamically feasible. The engine and innovative precooler at the heart of the cycle are ultimately aimed by Reaction at a single-stage-to-orbit (SSTO) launch vehicle dubbed Skylon.

However, while SSTO remains a long-range goal, Reaction has recrafted its ground demonstrator to reflect smaller-scale potential applications in the nearer term. AFRL, which is meanwhile working in parallel with Reaction under a cooperative research and development agreement, is for the first time outlining details of how SABRE might be used to support orbital launch missions when configured as part of a two-stage-to-orbit (TSTO) launch system. Working with Atlanta-based SpaceWorks Enterprises, AFRL has defined two initial next-generation launch system concepts: A partially reusable TSTO with a SABRE-powered booster and expendable rocket-powered second stage, and a second fully reusable option incorporating a SABRE-powered first stage and a rocket-powered upper stage. “We asked, ‘What’s a nearer-term approach to do access to space with this very interesting engine idea and precooling technology?’ and came up with this two-stage-to-orbit system,” says Barry Hellman of AFRL’s High-Speed Systems Division.

The first system is designed to place a 5,000-lb. payload into a 100-nm orbit with a 28.5-deg. inclination from Cape Canaveral AFS.. Two missions were also analyzed to determine performance to a sun-synchronous orbit at 378 nm flown from Vandenberg AFB, California, and a proposed UK spaceport site in Newquay, England.

DF-TECH-BOOSTER_1_USAirForceResearchLab.

The partially reusable concept is based on a twin-SABRE-powered winged booster. Measuring 150 ft. long, or about 4 ft. longer than a B-1B bomber, the vehicle would carry the rocket-powered second stage in a lower payload bay. “The notional concept of operations is like an aircraft with a horizontal takeoff and landing,” said Hellman at the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Space 2016 conference and exhibition in Long Beach, California, Sept. 13-16.

“The vehicle would accelerate to almost Mach 4.5 before transitioning to rocket mode, when it would pull up while still accelerating,” he said. “We carry the upper stage inside so it does not have to have a payload fairing or thermal protection system (TPS). That also means it has to stage at a very high altitude of over 260,000 ft. and a low dynamic pressure of about 0.8 psf. It then boosts away to orbit while the vehicle turns away and returns.” Staging would occur at about Mach 8 before the vehicle begins a gliding turn toward the launch site and briefly restarts the engines in air-breathing mode for additional boostback.

“We assumed we would have conformal hydrogen tanks and that would be another technology challenge that would have to be solved to make this design work,” Hellman said. By placing the payload underneath, no large cranes are needed to load the vehicle, and “when we get to staging, we use gravity and the payload just falls away,” he added. Hellman conceded, however, that payload bay door design will require special consideration for the TPS to handle reentry.

DF-TECH-BOOSTER_2_USAirForceResearchLab.

The vehicle’s propellant mass fraction (mass of propellant divided by the weight of the whole stage apart from the payload) “is about 0.43, and that is unheard of for access to space systems,” said Hellman. “That is what an air-breathing engine allows you to have. The bottom line is, the vehicle can make the mission with extremely low propellant-mass fractions.” 

The second, fully reusable option consists of a 190-ft.-long scaled-up variant of the smaller booster and a reusable upper-stage booster. Designed to carry a 20,000-lb. payload to orbit, the 115-ft.-span booster and upper stage would collectively weigh about 1.3 million lb. at takeoff. The system would launch horizontally, and both stages would return for a horizontal landing. After deploying its payload, the upper stage would continue around the world and, with the cross-range capability of its 40-ft.-span, X-37B-like wing, recover to the launch site. 

For the immediate future, the Air Force continues to focus on further evaluation of the precooler. “That is the biggest interest we have right now at AFRL,” Hellman said. “We have been looking at trying to get the funding to test the heat exchanger at higher temperatures, simulating conditions behind the inlet at Mach 3.5-5. It’s a very fascinating technology that has a lot of senior Defense Department and NASA officials excited. We are moving along slowly, though hopefully we will make more progress in the next few years.”

Kool. So if AFRL uses SABRE as an SSTO, won't a TSTO make AIAA's idea AFU'd without a TPS? :comp:

• Like 1

this doesn't get airborne, but this jet powered vehicle accelerates faster through the 1/4 mile. :P

Edited by comem47
  • 2 weeks later...