free hit
counters
Jake wants a Lotus Excel - Wanted - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Matt-watts

Jake wants a Lotus Excel

My son Jake (hes 11 and Lotus mad) wants to restore a Lotus Excel

Hes spent ages in the garage helping me with my restorations so I cant really say no to helping him, the problem is hes only got arround £500 (which he has saved up over 2 years)

Is that going to be enough to get a car worth restoring ? I dont know Excel prices very much.

Does anyone know of any low budget Excels projects for sale ?

Best Wishes

Matt

[email protected]

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

sounds great.. im not sure myself....

can you be my dad?

That might just get you an early narrow-arched model. Trouble is £500 is usually around the level the engine gets robbed.

That might just get you an early narrow-arched model. Trouble is £500 is usually around the level the engine gets robbed.

Engine missing isn't a real issue as it would then give him time to get on with body, suspension, trim etc.

Auction? Like car auctions. You might just get an Excel turn up at a normal car auction and maybe the regular guys would avoid. If you got cash keep your eyes open and something may just turn up?

Buddsy

For that type of money, he is more in the Elite / Eclat field. I am sure a quick drive around the North Circular will find a couple parked outside Council Flats looking very sad.

The lad requires encouragement at his age as by the time he reaches 13 his hormones will kick in and he will not be spending so much time working on the car but checking out the girls to fit in the passenger seat.

Good luck with it, I wish my son had been interested in cars like his dad, but he went the bicycle route.

I know it's an Eclat but this pre-production model would be interesting with a later chassis, shame the seller won't budge on the price (it's been for sale for months now)

5165654-781m.jpg

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/104691332/lotus-eclat-22-project.html

If you crunch the numbers you will find that doing a restoration will in the long run cost you more than buying a car that is already in tip top condition. However doing a restoration allows a lower get in cost and also allows amortization of the cost of the car over a longer period of time.

Don't let cost issues put you off though. Over a year ago I bought a Lotus-Steelbro Super 907 that is a total restoration project for my son and I to restore together ( he is only 4 at present so it will be a while before we get it going). One of the reasons for getting a project is to share with my son the time, trials and tribulations of doing a restoration together. Many others have told me restoring a car with their son/dad is one of the best memories they have of father/son time together.

Hi

He is only 11 but has spent years with me working on Lotus cars as my little helper, he is now dead set on an Excel.

He only has £250 I said I would match it to get him a car.

I have a few 912 Engines and can do most stuff on old lotuses myself.

I know hes not going to get a good car for the money just something that we can work on together and that he can feel its his.

I was hoping to maybe put a bit more towards it now as its nearly Xmas and it could be a good christmas gift to.

If anyone can help me find a car for Jake I would be very greatful

Best Wishes
Matt

I've got an ear to the ground matey :thumbup:

Best choice ever matt! Your boy has good taste! I know someone around here who has a project Excel. Never seems to get any better.....or cleaner though! .....Cough.....Andy Clements......Cough