free hit
counters
Spark plugs - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Trevsked

Spark plugs

What are the standard plugs in an Evora N/A? I would like to fit Iridium plugs so need to know the equivalent.

Trevor.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I regard the Iridium plugs as better than standard.

Trevor.

The standard plugs are Denso FK20Hr11. As far as I know theses plugs are iridium. The only benefit I can see for using iridium plugs would be longer lasting due to the harder material, I can't see any performance benefits.

Thanks. Just Googled those and it says they are Iridium so great. I'm not sure there is a performance advantage that is measureable but at the same time Lotus wouldn't fit them at greater expense if there weren't an advantage somewhere. I'm sure they aren't fitted for the longer life characteristics.

Trevor.

Iridium plugs are something like 0.03% better than standard plugs as they need a lower voltage to spark, I remember researching them when I fitted them to my Esprit and noticed zero difference personally.

Perhaps they maintain optimal performance for longer than standard plugs? That might make them worthwhile fitting.

Standard plugs will be changed at an annual service and you'd hope a set of plugs would last a year.

Standard plugs will be changed at an annual service and you'd hope a set of plugs would last a year.

Really/ Is that from the Evora service schedule? I wouldn't have thought so even for standard plugs as they are usually good for 45k miles.

Iridium plugs are something like 0.03% better than standard plugs as they need a lower voltage to spark, I remember researching them when I fitted them to my Esprit and noticed zero difference personally.

0.03% you say, thats a plus in my book.

Trevor.

The Evora Maintenance Schedule says Spark Plugs are to be replaced every 90,000 KM (54,000 Mi). From what I saw when the clam was off, the plugs are almost impossible to reach when the clam is on.

Those yearly remplacements have become pretty much obsolete in the last decade.

Well at least we know now why they use Iridiums :)

Bear in mind especially good for your taxi work:

From: http://www.five30sparkplugs.co.uk/info-why-use-denso-iridium

..... in real world testing amongst taxi drivers with 2 litre engined cars using Denso Iridium Tough spark plugs fuel consumption was reduced by 3.5%.......... achieve this by featuring the worlds smallest centre electrode, smaller even than Iridium plugs from other manufacturers. The smaller electrode gives a bigger flame area which lasts for longer, this burns more fuel which means less unburnt fuel passes through your exhaust unused........ gives you more power, more acceleration and more torque.

If that's the case, why aren't all cars fitted with them?

Because they are an extra cost that general car buyers won't value. My guess is that most performance cars will be fitted with these from new now.

Trevor.

I mean currently at the higher end.

Trevor.

But 3.5% on the quoted MPG figures would be a huge attraction, seeing as it's one of the top reasons people buy a car nowadays...

I'd imagine an OEM would pay an extra tenner at most for iridium plugs, seeing as they'll be buying them in batches of 100,000 kinda thing!

Did I mention they look sexy too!

Trevor.

:mellow:

Did I mention they look sexy too!

Trevor.

I'm worried, where do you stick your sparkplugs? :huh:

Look, not feel :-)

Trevor.

Ooh, that's Champion!