free hit
counters
Slightly depressing news for G Turbo owners - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Mr_John111

Slightly depressing news for G Turbo owners

Well,

despite 170+ 'watchers' and 4000+ views Sue's car only managed a closing bid of £5100 on eBay.

Its not the best by far but it is an honest, well maintained, MOT'd example.

Not sure what to do now, would have taken £7500 (that was what the reserve was set at)

She won't be able to get the car she was looking to replace it with at that level so perhaps she won't change it after all.

John

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

re list it but Christmas is more on peoples mind except for bargain hunters. Why not advertise it for 8000 ono in a classified ad

I've sold several Esprits and have never had any luck getting a decent price on Ebay. Your market may be different over there but I think auto online classifieds will eventually find you a buyer if your price is reasonable...

Does anyone bother much with ebay now? Surely a bit old hat. Last place I'd look for anything,

Can I respectfully point out not all your photos were not great.... and you didn't post the max you could have. The engine bay and interior pictures are miniscule.. I recently sold a TR6 which took about 3 attempts and different 'strategies' (auction/classified etc) before I got a reasonable price. As suggested, its probably the worst time of year for an impulse purchase, but surely the statistics suggest the interest is there?

Fair point re photos

Problem was having decided to put it on eBay the weather was rubbish and had to resort to existing photos rather than new ones which I didn't realise we're too small then I couldn't work out how to remove them

As you say given the number of watchers I was surprised it stopped at £5100.

I'll take some proper photos and try again

After posting I had sellers regret about the value I'd placed on the spares. A quick tot up and it came to over £1000 so perhaps it's a blessing in disguise

John

Try piston heads. I sold an excel on there for what I wanted. Ebays a bit low rent lowest pos price type of thing.

Good point on the pictures, you need at least 20 good shots and more is better. Take pics of everything...

Try piston heads. I sold an excel on there for what I wanted. Ebays a bit low rent lowest pos price type of thing.

Now on Pistonheads

we'll see what that brings.

Shocked to see what people are asking for G turbos ! at £7500 someone missed an absolute bargain.

Ive priced it at £9995 (£5k cheaper than all the others) I'll leave it on our forum's classifieds at £8500 cos if anyone on here buys it, I know it will go to a good home.

John

Pistonheads is the best place to sell a sports car, every time I've put one of my cars up for sale on there it's sold within about 5 days.

I've never looked at Pistonheads car sales before...as for the G turbo prices, where are THEY at???!! How can a 30 year old car have done less than 60,000 miles? Did the owners not like it? Low mileage.....whoever buys these hangar queens is going to get a shock when the bills start coming, and at that mileage and time frame I reckon they're due. Good luck with selling yours; I'm useless at selling cars, I get too attached to them!

This is probably the worst time to sell a sports car, every one's thinking about Christmas. If you can wait, sell it in March / April time, when the leaves are on the trees and people are thinking about having a nice sports car for the summer, you'll get lots more.

Highest price/street value I have seen for an Esprit was when it was left at a Lamborghini dealer on consignment. Someone must have walked in and figured that the Lambos were too expensive, but then figured $27,000 for an 89 Esprit was a good deal! They were going for about $17k online at the time, and it was not a nice example.

Just goes to show - price is what someone else is willing to pay!

It is also about perception. I umm'd and ahh'd about the "Purple Nasty" before I bought her. Mainly due to the colour. The car itself was in pretty good condition. But to help the sale - really good quality photos - if you know anyone who is a keen photographer - then ask them to take some pics. Firstly - because it will be good for you to have them for the future - but secondly to sell the car from the page. I always used to take my cars to a particular spot where there was a statue in shot behind the car - never failed.

Well slightly less depressing news for you all. advertised at £9995 sold today at £9750 John

Same happened with my Esprit, I had it up too cheap! Sold it for £200 more than the initial ad eventually after dropping it £2k in the interim! 

I heard of a V8 in the Cambridge area that had a bidding war on it earlier this year! Ended up selling it for significantly more than advertised! It can happen

It still baffles me as to why owners seem so happy to talk down the value of their cars. One look at Pistonheads and it's obvious that Esprit values are rising for good/well looked after cars (especially G cars). I know that adverts are just asking prices and not necessarily achieved prices but if this is happening in winter....

Look at the prices being asked for classic Elans 

It still baffles me as to why owners seem so happy to talk down the value of their cars. One look at Pistonheads and it's obvious that Esprit values are rising for good/well looked after cars (especially G cars). I know that adverts are just asking prices and not necessarily achieved prices but if this is happening in winter....

Look at the prices being asked for classic Elans 

It becomes even more obvious if you compare them to what's been asked for MGs, TRs and all kinds of run of the mill stuff etc. One day people will be kicking themselves for not buying now

Well slightly less depressing news for you all. advertised at £9995 sold today at £9750 John

So, what's next then??

Jon

Sue (Boots) has started a thread asking for advice. But I think she has something in mind

John