free hit
counters
Upgrades - body and exhaust - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Aussie kid

Upgrades - body and exhaust

Hi all,

I have asked this question on the main chat but...

Has anyone added a body kit to the Evora? Either part body kits or whole body kits.

Also, I want to get that V6 roar through the exhaust and I am looking for any ideas here. This may be a full exhaust system swap or changing mufflers out etc.

Any thoughts on making this great little car a little better - if that is possible.

Thanks in anticipation of any thoughts. Links to sites, suppliers or magazine adds would be great.

As I am Australia I can import or copy exhaust systems...

Cheers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Bernie,

Others will come along with a lot more knowledge than I have. However, there is the Radium air intake that a lot of guys on here are very happy with, I think there is also a Larini exhaust, but some guys have the Lotus sport exhaust and all seem to be happy with either. Don't know of body kits.

Ramjet

Thanks for getting back. I will look the intakes up.

Yes, I have seen the after market Lotus system discussed, but my Lotus workshop guy suggested on the quite that aftermarket was a cheaper option. So I will search Larini also.

Thanks again.

Bernie, there are various exhaust/decat options that you will read about on the threads here. Assuming you are not in the fortunate position of readily trying out all the options, I suggest you initially decide whether you are thinking of doing intake mods or not. (e.g. Radium as mentioned above. If you mean “a little better” in respects beyond the exhaust sound, I and many are big fans of that - see the main CAI thread, and some others.)

You don’t say whether yours is NA or S and whether your circumstances allow for being pretty loud all the time or not. Anyway I offer my experience re exhaust sound on a 2010 NA. I tested a standard NA; the sound was very weak, so I bought with the Lotus Sport exhaust. That gave a distinctly better and louder sound (saves weight too) but not hugely so and not nearly “enough”. I added the Radium intake - and leaving performance matters aside - that gave a huge improvement in sound, but one that depends on your driving mode. (Same Sports exhaust.) I have tried to describe it on threads here many times. Very briefly: quiet as standard in gentle “ordinary” driving; solid serious sound at mid power/revs range; loud at high power and revs. See many thread refs. (Someone unknown “spotted” me accelerate away, posted that it was “glorious”. )

More recently I enquired here about removing the third cat (ok to do for the UK, all experts here say, but not in the US, don’t know about you) in conjunction with my Radium + Sports exhaust setup. A poster here, “Al” I believe, had done and said he had to restrain his driving carefully when near the neighbours to keep reasonably quiet. Responding to me, he said the increase from removing the third cat was as much again as going from the standard to the Sports exhaust. (Note that is with the Radium.) So I decided against that - see the nearby thread. So that is why I suggest deciding whether you are going for an intake mod or not.

Sorry this post has been rushed. Many other experiences in the threads on this and the other Forums. Good luck!

Mdavies

Thanks for the reply.

Yes will go for the intake also. The Radium seems an option. I will check out their site.

Regarding cats it is illegal here to remove them. I have taken them off my other cars, as they become pretty useless after a few thousand road miles/ anyway. The older cars I have don't have them - mainly 60's cars.

I was looking at the PB link on site here and was considering the full system - made up of the extractors

and the twin outlet muffler. Perhaps with the full system and the Radium intake, I will get the result and sound I want.

The option of the cat/s removal is certainly one that I need to experiment with......

The other option was to have my exhaust shop build from the extractors to exhaust tips as they do a number of race type fits.

Edited by Aussie kid

Hi Bernie, in that case, depend on how loud/how often you want to be, I would check out (even try, its cheaper than exhausts) the Radium first. It alone makes a lot of difference. Take a read around the threads. Mel

Body kit wise, you can buy a lot of tasty parts from Lotus parts, such as spoilers, wing, rear windscreens etc..

mdavies

Mel,

Yes I will start with the radium once the car arrives at my garage. I have just been on the Radium site and the price is reasonable.

The guys who work on my cars - McDonald Brothers Racing in Melbourne - will do the fit and I can then work with them on the PB supplier link that is advertising on the TLF site here and the other Larini exhaust - if needed as you suggest.

It may be the Radium meets my requirements. I have only heard the Evora under mild acceleration and thought it sounded a little to quite.

Thanks again. I will keep you posted once we start playing/experimenting!!

Justin182

Thanks Justin.

I am only starting to learn the many options available!! We are never one to leave things stock!!

Looks like I will have plenty of searches on the go in the next few weeks.

Cheers

Bernie.

Justin182

What can I say..:lol:

I can see my new purchase getting out of control.....

Thanks for the link....:lol: the powertrain page says it all.

Air box, Cat pipe and exhaust...

Thanks again.

Bernie

Edited by Aussie kid

Thanks for all the links. There is plenty to read and absorb for a new Evora owner.

Perhaps I will move across to the pilots seat once I get my head around all the options...:lol:

TBD

OK - yes it is in Post 9 - but I also have found that many of the sites sub link to the same site again and again - sales marketing 101..:lol:

Thanks again for the various links and ideas.

Bernie

mdavies

Mel,

I have re read your Post above and have decided to order the Radium - I see they are about to do an upgrade - from their current catologue.

Additionally, I have started the order process for the sports muffler withe the twin outlet.

Both look an easy install....:lol:

You made mention about a third cat? I can see the main cat just prior to the rear large muffler, but are there two smaller cats further up the exhaust manifold prior to the siamese pipe?

An additional cat on each bank?

My exhaust guy here said he can easily remove the larger cat and place a bridge pipe in. This will allow the re - installation of the cat if required later.

Think I am on the right track?

I will be able to get the car up on a hoist first thing next week and it may be obvious then.

Thanks again.

If anyone else has an answer it would be good to get my head around it....:lol:

Bernie

Edited by Aussie kid

Hi Bernie,

Just seen your post - I'm rather occupied on other things right now and don't look in here every day. Please note that I'm no tuning expert  although I was one of the early ones to play about with the Radium CAI and posted quite a bit on that.  Glad to hear you are going to fit it - it's a great start to get the intake side reasonable first . (Lots of info on the main CAI thread and several others have been so impressed - amazed! - that they have started new threads headed things like "Wow!" and "Holy .........".)  Your first sentence confuses me.  Catalogue? - do you mean the LOTUS GTN catalogue?  Upgrade? - nothing on the Radium site that I can see from a quick look.  Are you thinking of the TDI work that I have started a separate thread on. (Is quite separate from Radium - don't confuse.)

What you call the "main cat" is the third cat and yes, from what I have read here myself, one approach is to replace it with a straight through pipe and if done in the right way the cat could be refitted.  Other complete exhaust systems without the cat obviously would not allow it to be replaced.  Lots about that, removal etc etc on other Evora threads here.  Many experts - and I'm not one!  As I said, the Radium CAI, and Sports exhaust and 3rd cat removal gets "neighbours comments" loud and so I've stayed with the cat in place.  As I said before, CAI plus sports exhaust is a great combination for me as quiet when needed to be.  (I am following the TDI work though and expect to take advantage of that when available - see the thread.)

Re the exhaust side, please do seek answers from others.  I strongly recommend you read all the Evora posts on here - well worth the time!  (Plenty about the performance, CAI etc. on the General Lotus Chat Board too.)

Edited by mdavies

Bernie, PS: Something very easy to do as you install the Radium CAI, and a lot more fiddly afterwards (as I did), is to stick some reflective sheet on to the engine side of the Radium screen. I fixed the shiny side of heavy duty kitchen foil towards the engine, using a decent amount of double-sided sticky tape.  I prefer to quote measurements than "opinion", but in this case that would be a lot of trouble to set up and I'm happy to say I find the air filter side of the Radium screen surprisingly cool to a finger test immediately after a hot run. Previously I have had to squeeze in a thermistor temperature device for my "Cool or What" notes (CAI thread) so was feeling around behind the screen and my memory is that it was distinctly warmer then, prior to putting on the heat reflecting sheet.  (Black is rather good at absorbing heat!)

(Tried to edit the above in last night but Edit wouldn't work.)

Edited by mdavies

FYI, you get 60 mins to edit a post, it's for typos.

Bibs, yes, appreciate that, and used routinely, but could not do in just a few seconds after posting.

Tested now on this post.  Again could not do an edit after using the initial "Edit" button - just as last night.  This time I have now followed up the Edit button with the "Full Editor" button and find I can now edit. Don't recall needing that previously.  Was not prepared to risk last night on a long post - not used before and might have lost the post! So OK now, will do this way in future.

Further to above.  Am now adding this with the usual single edit button - so problem gone. Why should I be thinking "Lotus"? 

Edited by mdavies

:lol:

You'll notice the quick edit is done without reloading the whole page using a technology called Ajax. It's pretty cutting edge so some browsers struggle as they expect a web page to be static and not dynamically reload. Your browser was just having a 'Lotus' moment, when it doubt just refresh the page to get a new copy on your screen. 

Mmmmm thank God I am only asking questions about upgrades...:lol:.... All the rest confused me. My son tells me it's an age thing!!