free hit
counters
Colin Chapman and Lotus in Norfolk - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Colin Chapman and Lotus in Norfolk

Hi All new member here.

I was born in Norfolk and have lived here most of my life so I have always know about Lotus and its local connections.

Yesterday I decided to do a bit of exploring and I visited Colin's grave, I went there many years ago but now there is an adjacent grave which I assume is a family and had names of at least 2 people who died in 2007 and who were both only in their 50s. One was called Sarah and I believe that may be Colin's daughter? not sure who the others are but they died too young.

As a teenager in the early 1970s I remember my dad telling me that he had worked at Hethel during the war, I have no idea what he did but it seemed to involve illicit use of aircraft fuel. Later in the mid 70s I saw Colin Chapman when he visited Wymondham College where I went to school.

Can anyone confirm where Colin lived in Norfolk, I know he used Ketteringham Hall and may have lived there as well however I remember reading somewhere that he lived in a house that he designed himself in Norwich and I doubt if that referred to Ketteringham.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes he lived at Carleton Manor just about 500 yards from the church with his Grave and next door to where my family lived at Kennedy House. Sarah sadly died at a young age. His properties in Ketter

I've been to the Manor many times, living next door and the old man being so close to Colin. But I'm not sure Hazel or Clive would want me talking too much about it's layout etc.   Needless to say i

I was wondering about saying too much on here! Don't want to get anybody burgled  I've had no dealings with Hazel but Clive is a very nice man indeed.   My girls go to school in Brundal there are so

East Carleton Manor. My mate delivers wine to Hazel and is made to use the rear entrance!!

Are you the same Tim who moved to France who had a Esprit S4S?

Any hoo welcome here.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Yes he lived at Carleton Manor just about 500 yards from the church with his Grave and next door to where my family lived at Kennedy House. Sarah sadly died at a young age.

His properties in Ketteringham included Ketteringham Hall and the old Vicarage next door (where we lived when my dad originally moved from Jag to Lotus). The Hall was not lived in and was adjusted for office use, though Colin may have had a bed there as he was a bit of a workaholic.

Hethel was a B24 Liberator base during the war, there is a museum just down the road.

• Like 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Thanks for info. 

No not the Tim who moved to France.

East Carleton Manor. My mate delivers wine to Hazel and is made to use the rear entrance!!

Are you the same Tim who moved to France who had a Esprit S4S?

Any hoo welcome here.

Buddsy

I noticed the gates to East Carleton Manor when I visited the grave last weekend. Would be interested in knowing a bit more about the design of the house, I knew that Colin had also been involved in boat designs, I wonder if he use tech in his house as well.

I keep meaning to visit the airfield museum but keep forgetting, I am pretty sure my Dad did something technical or engineering as I know he was not in the forces. Unfortunately I can't ask him any more.

Yes he lived at Carleton Manor just about 500 yards from the church with his Grave and next door to where my family lived at Kennedy House. Sarah sadly died at a young age.

His properties in Ketteringham included Ketteringham Hall and the old Vicarage next door (where we lived when my dad originally moved from Jag to Lotus). The Hall was not lived in and was adjusted for office use, though Colin may have had a bed there as he was a bit of a workaholic.

Hethel was a B24 Liberator base during the war, there is a museum just down the road.

The boats were built at Brundall, just outside Norwich. I did the Norwich Wensum river tour and they explain where abouts they were built, the tour goes as far as Brundall. Apparently he had a house there as well, a friend at work reckons when he was a kid he used to fish in the garden lake, you can see it on Google maps.

Edited by OwenGT3

I've been to the Manor many times, living next door and the old man being so close to Colin. But I'm not sure Hazel or Clive would want me talking too much about it's layout etc.

Needless to say it's lovely.

It's also there that MJK got colin to tip a Bond Bug over, as per the story we all know and love.

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I was wondering about saying too much on here! Don't want to get anybody burgled  I've had no dealings with Hazel but Clive is a very nice man indeed.

My girls go to school in Brundal there are some very nice houses there and the marina/boat yard is pretty good too.

Buddsy

• Like 1

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

I've just read a biography of Jimmy Stewart's wartime efforts with B24 Liberators. He was involved with the B24s at Hethel, and also presided over a court martial at Ketteringham Hall of two Americans who, just before the war ended, managed to bomb Zurich instead of Freiberg in Germany. They were found "not guilty". Stewart went on to combine his acting (first postwar film was "It's a Wonderful Life") with his service in the USAF reserve, rising to the rank of Brigadier General. One of the very few to excel in more than one field.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I've been to the Manor many times, living next door and the old man being so close to Colin. But I'm not sure Hazel or Clive would want me talking too much about it's layout etc.

Needless to say it's lovely.

It's also there that MJK got colin to tip a Bond Bug over, as per the story we all know and love.

Yes I understand and I don't want to invade anyone's privacy, just interested in what sort of design elements Colin brought to house design, I would guess he included ideas that were new to buildings.

The boats were built at Brundall, just outside Norwich. I did the Norwich Wensum river tour and they explain where abouts they were built, the tour goes as far as Brundall. Apparently he had a house there as well, a friend at work reckons when he was a kid he used to fish in the garden lake, you can see it on Google maps.

Interesting I had not heard about him having a second house in Norfolk, I can understand why he would chose Brundall though its a nice place. Incidentally my garden is bounded at one end by the river Wensum but I am the other side of Norwich and technically its not the Wensum by the time it gets to Brundall ;-)

Edited by wytco0
  • 8 years later...

Did anyone knows where Colin and Hazel lived together before Colin build the East Carleton Manor in 1962. I think it was a far from Cheshunt in London at that time, and Lotus first moved to Hethel in 1966. Did Colin thought about buying Hethel at this time ?.