free hit
counters
Ferrari - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Ferrari

I was parked at a Tim Horton coffee shop on Sunday when a guy in a Ferrari GTS pulls in and parks about 8 rows away from me. He couldn't park next to me because it was occupied. He goes in to get a coffee, comes back out and stands around. Soon as the spot opens up next to me he jumps in his car and parks next to mine, gets out of his car and sits in front of it I am sitting in the shop drinking a coffee and watching all this happen and I think to myself, whats he trying to prove or show off. Is it his car, being a Ferrari and relatively well known, mine being a Lotus and relatively unknown, looking to get attention because he has competition or what. Does this only happen here or has it happened to other Lotus drivers. He proved nothing to me esthetically, but I think his is a bigger money pit than mine.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its proves his gts is considerable slower than yours lol. should of walked to your car said nice car and drove off like you didnt care. or say nice car and you were thinking of buying one but you wanted something more rare and your not keen on dancing donkeys. or oh nice, there resonably priced nowadays you might swop yours for one, then he runs home and looks through ever car guide to find the price of yours

or you never know he might be a nice ferrari owner mmmMMM and indeed want a chat

Edited by karluk29

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

I read the situation as he saw another mid-engine exotic from the same era, and was probably waiting for you to come out to chat. Missed opportunity to make a new friend. :blink:

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I think he was enjoying an extremely rare sight :blink:

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Yep, have to agree with that - The Ferrari owners (or "Ferrari Fags" as the Lambo guys call them :blink:) all seem to have a chip on their shoulder, and a complex trying to prove they are superior to everyone else. What's funny is the Lambo guys are the total opposite and always up for a drive and chat.

That said... most Ferrari owners are to be avoided.
Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

That said... most Ferrari owners are to be avoided.

I note you said most.

I got talking to a Ferrari owner (just parking his car) in Bristol, many years ago, a couple of weeks before I got married. Didn't know the guy at all, but after chating, he ended up offering me his Ferrari to drive to the church on my wedding day a couple of weeks later. Not thinking he would remember or turn up he showed up at the address I gave him complete with ribbons on the car. For a Ferrari owner, seemed like an OK bloke to me - diddn't even want petrol money and haven't seen him since.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I've never met a Ferrari owner I didn't like! lol

Only encountered 2 miserable buggers on the road - one in a 308 who no matter how much we pulled along side and tried to smile / wave (yes I was in the Esprit)... he just woudlnt acknowledge us... and one other guy who clearly wasn't even remotely a hooner or car enthusiast but was a "lifestyle accessory" buyer

There was a Testarossa and a Countach in convoy on the M25 once - I think I was in BN's Esprit and they were well happy to see us / wave etc :-)

Nearly all the others I've encountered on the road have been up for "a bit of a drive" shall we say (ended up half way to the channel tunnel with a 430 a while back! lmao) and all the ones I've actually MET have been car enthusiasts so happy to talk about ANY car :-)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

I was parked at a Tim Horton coffee shop on Sunday when a guy in a Ferrari GTS pulls in and parks about 8 rows away from me. He couldn't park next to me because it was occupied. He goes in to get a coffee, comes back out and stands around. Soon as the spot opens up next to me he jumps in his car and parks next to mine, gets out of his car and sits in front of it I am sitting in the shop drinking a coffee and watching all this happen and I think to myself, whats he trying to prove or show off. Is it his car, being a Ferrari and relatively well known, mine being a Lotus and relatively unknown, looking to get attention because he has competition or what. Does this only happen here or has it happened to other Lotus drivers. He proved nothing to me esthetically, but I think his is a bigger money pit than mine.

You should have gone out and had a chat with him Ivan, he was probably just a fellow car enthusiast wanting to find out more about your great looking car. :blink:

I know a few Ferrari owners, and they are all nice guys :P

Met a guy with a 308 replica Fiero once, he was a prat :P

SUNP0003-1.jpg

i've done the same just to chat with other performance car owners.

the ferrari guys i've met are just as into their cars as we are ours.

i'd have a ferrari and a lambo next to the lotus if i could

and like a proud parent, love each equally

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

Last week I bought a Ferrari..................... hat. Eventually I'll get the whole car. The Ferrari Challenge series came to Portland and it was great fun and we got to see some wonderful cars and got to chat a bit.

Missed out on a ride :-(

But, yes, I think your Ferrari driver just wanted to chat or wanted to be parked next to someone who wasn't likely to give him a door ding. A friend of mine in the Lotus club always wants me to park next to his Elise as "protection"

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

Bless - that's very kind of him to offer to protect your car! :blink:

Given the choice between a parking space and a parking space next to an exotic, I always make the point of parking next to the exotic. I think part of it is so that I can have a good look at it when I get out but also because I think the Esprit deserves to be there. Hopefully others feel the same so that when I return to where I parked, there's a whole line of lovely supercars waiting for me to drool over.

Bulk%20Paint.png

The Ferrari owners I've met / known have all been car enthusiasts and there was no "my car is better than yours attitude". :D

Before we lump all Ferrari owners together we should consider if EVERY Lotus driver is an enthusiast and thinks the same as us? :D I'm sure there are many Elise and to a lesser extent Esprits out there that are used as 'fashion accessories'. (If only mine could be :) ).

Me too ! :)

CAR-G-Turbo-v-308-001.jpg

Damn nice photo - :) White G looks the bee's knees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its not yours is it Wayne? Kato's got the same colour white / red combination too now!!! :) - thought you went colour coded with your esprit B) .

Wayne - :D new topic - come across one or two chats where they were saying the ride in the S1 is fantastic! T :o hese comments came from Esprit owners who had S2 and Stevens! B)

Mystery :D - What are they raving about? I recall articles by most of the motor press slamming the claimed performance of the S1 when it was first launched in 1976. :D

What is it that makes the S1 ride so fantastic or different from the S2 onwards? B) ANYONE???

I'm sure there are many Elise and to a lesser extent Esprits out there that are used as 'fashion accessories'. (If only mine could be :D ).

A year before I bought my red S1 (my first Lotus) in 1998, I went to a British car show in the hopes of meeting an Esprit owner or two. I encountered a bunch of Lotus people, told them of my interests, and the first thing one of them said to me was "If you're looking for an Esprit to pick up girls, you're going to find yourself embarassed pretty often," referring to Esprit reliability. :)

The really sad part was that he just saw a young guy (23 at the time, looking 18 though) and made a blanket assumption; I had said nothing to suggest I was the "silk shirt/gold chain" type (old U.S. stereotype for nightclub macho/posers), didn't look the part one bit, and exuded passion and curiosity for lightweight 4-cylinder mid-engine sports cars that I have right now out of being purely an insane car geek. So I guess it goes both ways . . .

P.S. -- His comment really took me off-guard; came out of nowhere, because, like a true car geek, I was in love with Esprits long before I was interested in girls, and, of course, wasn't thinking about girls at all in my mad quest to own the car of my dreams! :)

P.P.S. -- I thank God for Patty (my fiancee) for many reasons . . . . one of them being that she puts up with the cars . . . and another being that now that we're getting married, I don't have to waste any more time looking for a female partner, and can focus more attention on cars!!!!!!!!!!!! I think of all the time I spent getting to know and dating girls . . . all time I could have been spending working on and driving Esprits! Whew--glad that's over! :):D:D

P.P.P.S. -- I need to get a life! :o

Edited by Tony K

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

What is it that makes the S1 ride so fantastic or different from the S2 onwards? B) ANYONE???

My Federal-spec S1 still has its original dampers and springs in good order (only 34k miles from new, bought car with 22k), and the ride does not jar you around. It is firm but not harsh at all. Still corners very flat, communicates well and all that, but doesn't beat you up. It is an uncanny mix of comfort and performance.

Here are two thoughts I have:

1) Maybe, as the lightest Esprit, they were able to use softer springs than on later Esprits?

2) Most older Esprits here have had the dampers replaced. S1/S2 people in North America only had one choice for the longest time -- those bright yellow adjustable Spax units. I think almost everyone sets them stiffer than what was originally specified. Perhaps, just by chance, the S1(s) these people rode in still had the original dampers or their replacement dampers were set softer, while they were used to stiffer settings on their own cars? Or something like that. . .

Who knows -- maybe the S1 does ride better. :) I don't know if spring rates and damper oil/valving was different on S1s vs. S2s when new. Different springs *were* used for North American cars than for RoW.

The famous complaint from an early road test had to do with understeer or oversteer, and the magazine and reviewer later retracted their comments upon finding out that Lotus had supplied them with the wrong tire pressure numbers.

Edited by Tony K

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Mystery :D - What are they raving about? I recall articles by most of the motor press slamming the claimed performance of the S1 when it was first launched in 1976. :)

Motoring press from a certain unnamed country USA

overemphasizes top speed and 0-60 times and has

no clear concept of handling.

My bet is that the light weight of the S1 Esprit coupled

with its normally aspirated engine makes it a very quick

well behaved car on twisty roads that few others can match.

On such roads a few months ago, while chasing down

a group of Elises in my Turbo Esprit, my problem was

that my brakes couldn't accomodate the speed I was

carrying into the corners. I wished for a lighter more

nimble car, not one with more power.

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

Damn nice photo - :o White G looks the bee's knees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its not yours is it Wayne? Kato's got the same colour white / red combination too now!!! :D - thought you went colour coded with your esprit B) .

Wayne - :D new topic - come across one or two chats where they were saying the ride in the S1 is fantastic! T :) hese comments came from Esprit owners who had S2 and Stevens! B)

Mystery :) - What are they raving about? I recall articles by most of the motor press slamming the claimed performance of the S1 when it was first launched in 1976. :D

No its not my Esprit, its Lotus press car OPW 667W, and was featured in a article in Car magazine comparing it to the Ferrari 308GTS. Its a 1981/82 Turbo (tell by its Compomotive wheels) . It looks identical to the White Turbo Esprit used in For Your eyes Only (OPW654W)

I presume the ride on the S1 is more compliant (compared to later Esprits)due to 3 things:-

Lighter curb Weight

Softer Spring rates

70 series tyres on rear( taller more compliant sidewalls.)

SUNP0003-1.jpg