free hit
counters
What is the best non standard engine for an Esprit? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
doynk2

What is the best non standard engine for an Esprit?

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, (esprit engine section?) but anyway.

In my humble opinion, the best of the esprits is the S2. Good poise as far as ride heights, I just love the interior and the smaller bumpers set off the 'wedge' shape perfectly. Sadly, it is one of the slowest... so if you were to upgrade/swap out the standard engine, what do you think would be the best substitute to shave off the 0-60 in 8.4 seconds down and why?

For example:

replace it with the engine from an S3, quicker and a straight forward job (i think)

Upgrade it to an S3 turbo engine (is this even possible)

choose from one of the later Esprit engines,

Find any old Rover lump and drop it in.... not so standard

go further from original and stick an Audi V8 in it.....

So let me know what you think.... or has this subject been covered before?

Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've been thinking about the same lines. I love the S2 optic, but power can never be enough. I have several ideas on my mind:

1) A Turbo HC engine, which which should / could fit

2) A later 4-cyl engine, which going to 300 hp

3) A modern Audi 4 or 5-cyl TFSI engine, which is readily tunable to 400 HP, and possibly even changing the gearbox to a Double Clutch (KomoTec has done similar to the Exige).

4) Keeping things standard. After all, it is a classic.

In the end I'll probably do nothing and stick to the Evora. But then again what are dreams for?

Edited by TBD

on all about Audi-V8 conversions, simply contact Hilli & Silverfrost ..and you will find two experienced owners within this forum.

on the 'inline-fours' ..you can choose anything, as long as the 'power to weight balance' does not change to much to the bad side, as with a small capacity four cylinder you will at least need one of the more modern & powerfull

Edited by Günter

Honda S2000 engine will give you 242bhp in standard trim and revs on to 9000rpm. Supercharge it for a reliable 350 - 360bhp. Gearbox is the problem Dave

Dont think I would use 350 bhp in my S2.2 Tune the standard engine to a willing 200bhp, I think that would be plenty, and leave a totally original looking car. Would be cheaper than a swap

on all about Audi-V8 conversions, simply contact Hilli & Silverfrost ..and you will find two experienced owners within this forum.

on the 'inline-fours' ..you can choose anything, as long as the 'power to weight balance' does not change to much to the bad side, as with a small capacity four cylinder you will at least need one of the more modern & powerfull

Ive been in Hillis Lotus. Scared the crap out of me! 

I like the idea of just 'tuning and keeping original' 

reliability then becomes highlighted. i suppose the dream is to have an S2, reliable enough to tour Europe, fast enough to have fun with. 

I agree with the you on the S2. My favourite variant of the car but lacking in power and the earlier suspension is not quite as good or robust as the later cars.

I bought a late model S3 NA and upgraded the engine to HC spec and a little more. I will fit fuel injection for reliable cold start. It should have about 210/220 PS. Enough to keep up with some traffic on the Autobahn but not too much to destroy the gearbox again. Lets say it will hopefully be adequate performance.

I am going to add the S2 bumpers and have replica wheels made (expensive I know) in 16 inch to have modern tyres. I have adjustable suspension to get the ride height sorted out and I am in the process of retrimming the interior myself to have similar details as the S2. Seat and doors will be the same but the dash is from the later car. All in all a bit of a mix of old and new but hopefully in the end I will have the (almost) look of the S2 with the later interior comforts and suspension and some modern tech thrown in.  

That sounds like a nice way around it. Simply replacing the bumpers on an HC and lowering the car to its originally envisaged ride height is a clever way to reliable S2 motoring. (sort of) 

Has anyone done this on the forum, made an S3 into an S2.... or even an S1 with X19 lights and all!?