free hit
counters
idle rpm a little nutty - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

idle rpm a little nutty

Scenario :

When starting the car in the morning idle speed is at around 2000, dropping off to about 1500 after watertemp passes 45 deg Cels., dropping to 1000 after about 70 deg.

When coming home from work idle = 1200 dropping to 1000 after 70 deg or so.

This was during the high temperatures in june/july (35 deg ambient)

NOW :

This morning ( ambient temp = 14 deg) she starts at 1200 rpm and all fine, she had boost , picked up the gas very sharply, just a perfect drive !

This evening RPM = 2000, same procedure as before when cold... :blink:

Aside the fact that I have a brand new ECU in , which I exchanged exactly because of misbehaviour of such nature, I now wonder if there is a problem in a temperature sender. ( WHICH ONE ???? :P )

My EBPV is removed, the throttle capsule is still in place ( I donot think it is the capsule because the phenomena is temperature sensible ).

.... :P

I will be greateful for input....

Olaf

I forgot to mention the car was sitting duck in the garage the past two weeks. Rain.......

Olaf S400 project www.esprits4.de

shapeimage_1.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scenario :

When starting the car in the morning idle speed is at around 2000, dropping off to about 1500 after watertemp passes 45 deg Cels., dropping to 1000 after about 70 deg.

When coming home from work idle = 1200 dropping to 1000 after 70 deg or so.

This was during the high temperatures in june/july (35 deg ambient)

NOW :

This morning ( ambient temp = 14 deg) she starts at 1200 rpm and all fine, she had boost , picked up the gas very sharply, just a perfect drive !

This evening RPM = 2000, same procedure as before when cold... :blink:

Aside the fact that I have a brand new ECU in , which I exchanged exactly because of misbehaviour of such nature, I now wonder if there is a problem in a temperature sender. ( WHICH ONE ???? :P )

My EBPV is removed, the throttle capsule is still in place ( I donot think it is the capsule because the phenomena is temperature sensible ).

.... :P

I will be greateful for input....

Olaf

I forgot to mention the car was sitting duck in the garage the past two weeks. Rain.......

Only way to be sure is to remove the throttle jack capsule. It shouldn't be there anymore, since you removed the EBP. It serves no function, and it is known to stick open causing high idle rpms at times (whenever it decideds to stick)

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Certainly I will remove the capsule once I get time to, but what has always led me to think its a sensoe is the temperature dependent behaviour !

do you have freescan and a computer, it has sorted out a few probs on my car over the last months, my car is acting badly on the revs and i think its the oxegen sensor, on the pipe from the turbo. it would be great if you could obtain freescan first before you pull your hair out.

I have looked at my logs and exactly at 40 and 50 deg on the coolant things change.

One log is realy funny :

below 50 deg :

Coolant sensor ~ 1,3 V

IAC 240 constant

Des Idle 2200

Then after 50 deg spot on :

Coolant sensor ~ 3,67V

Iac 131 counting down to 65

De Idle 1200.

Either Coolant sensor down or IAC shot ?

I can mail the log in csv if anyone is interested to analyze....

:)

shapeimage_1.jpg

I have looked at my logs and exactly at 40 and 50 deg on the coolant things change.

One log is realy funny :

below 50 deg :

Coolant sensor ~ 1,3 V

IAC 240 constant

Des Idle 2200

Then after 50 deg spot on :

Coolant sensor ~ 3,67V

Iac 131 counting down to 65

De Idle 1200.

Either Coolant sensor down or IAC shot ?

I can mail the log in csv if anyone is interested to analyze....

:)

What is your IAC after 82 deg C?

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

at highest Temp of 87,5 its 33 :)

Ok, not bad, it should be 20-40 IIRC, at idle and full temp of 82deg C.

If I were you I would remove the possibly sticking throttle jack before proceding. Otherwise you will have a hard time isolating the cause.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

It definately is a temperature thing ! We had about 18 Deg. this morning, a little humidity, bang she runs glorious ! This afternoon we hit about 26 Deg. :) RPM high, runs in loose slag.. all the works.

Question is how to eliminate this. Or just accept that they run goot in cold-humid conditions ?!?! :)

It must be some sort of #*'~ing sensor.....

shapeimage_1.jpg