free hit
counters
Rear Oil Seal. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Roger 912

Rear Oil Seal.

I am juggling with the cost of replacing the rear engine oil seal versus the cost of chucking oil in. It is not using/leaking that much oil, but everywhere I park I leave a tell tale sign that I have been there. Consumption (leak) is around 500 ml per 1000 kms.

If I decide to go the replacement seal route, is it an engine out job or is it easier to drop off the gearbox and axle.

Also, is there a better type of seal as my last one was replaced 6 years / 15 000 kilometres. ago and did not leak when it was first replaced but started after a year or two of weekend use.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If it's a normal lip seal, I would not expect it to leak after only a year. I presume the shaft was inspected before simply whacking another seal in?

If you don't replace the seal it's only a matter of time before leaking oil contaminates the clutch. :thumbdown:

I understand that in the course of normal use, seals wear v slight grooves in the cranks, which can cause leaks.

I have been advised to alternate the position of the seal, but how you'd do this I'm not sure.

It may be a case of polishing both front and rear oil seal journals as well as bearing journals duringthe course of a rebuild?

Is it an engine out job to replace this seal or is it simpler to drop out the gearbox and clutch housing?

You have to take off the gearbox, clutch and flywheel...then remove the seal carrier plate. I reckon it would be easier with the engine out; maybe if you have access to proper garage equipment you might do it in situ, but I'd have it out. The rear oil seal is a tight fit in the hole bored in the seal carrier; there is no lip for it to be restrained by..as has been said, the seal does wear a groove in the crank; when assembling, the thing to do is simply to ensure that the seal is pressed in a slightly different amount so that it bears on a different part of the shaft.